Marlin Firearms Forum banner

501 - 520 of 692 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,548 Posts
Ya - but you were FISHING... His royal highness our governor here in Washington is finally opening fishing season on May 5th. Grrr... Like the trout were going to give someone the virus? Sigh...

I like your eagle shot - they're just specks in the photo - but that's the way they look to most of us, most of the time. Just a black bird, soaring far up and away.

I know that I'm fortunate enough to live where osprey and eagles can be seen pretty much any day.

Guy

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Ya - but you were FISHING... His royal highness our governor here in Washington is finally opening fishing season on May 5th. Grrr... Like the trout were going to give someone the virus? Sigh...

I like your eagle shot - they're just specks in the photo - but that's the way they look to most of us, most of the time. Just a black bird, soaring far up and away.

I know that I'm fortunate enough to live where osprey and eagles can be seen pretty much any day.

Guy
Yeah I see eagles a lot. Along side the road cleaning up road kills. Deeper snow is hard on them as the deer movement is less and there are fewer road kills. I do notice a pecking order though on the scavenging. Eagles move in and every other bird moves away, then the turkey vultures move in and ravens when the eagles leave, then crows.

I am reminded of what Benjamin Franklin stated about our National Bird. He wanted the wild turkey to be the national bird. Called the bald eagle a glorified buzzard. Still they do seem have a certain majesty about them. I have seen them swoop down and grab fish. They do nail a few house cats but I have not had any issues. I have red tailed hawks that patrol my field that I feel are also very special birds. They thin out the gophers. I don't bother shooting the gophers as I prefer to leave them for the hawks. I sometimes sit out with a cup of tea or coffee and watch the hawk and eagles patrol the area. Also see a few vultures looking for a snack.

DEP

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Live update on the river, got a picture of a Northeastern Blue bird ,hope he realizes this is catch and release only
Hope Guy doesn't get jealous of me, taking these stunning photos

Attachments

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,786 Posts
I guess it's time for me to accept the fact that I am officially retired. Lost my last job a few weeks ago thanks to the Wuhan virus. I'm waiting for my first SS check. May go back as a part timer - we'll see. Plenty of
projects around the house. I'll squeeze in some gun time though.

AC

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
welcome to the retirement club. The most difficult transition for me was having all that structured time to not having any once completely out of the rat race. being able to do what you want when you want is one of the best aspects. but I'm sure you will come to enjoy the days when you don't really feel like doing nothing and you don't do nothing and its no big deal.

·
Premium Member
11,548 Posts
My walk today got turned into an unplanned bathroom faucet replacement. Sigh. These older houses don't always have what we see as standard fittings anymore... I'm taking a computer break right now. 'Cause I got tired of being inside the bathroom cabinet! LOL!

No walk for today. I did get to go to the hardware store. Good Grief, there's a LOT of people there!

Guy

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I guess it's time for me to accept the fact that I am officially retired. Lost my last job a few weeks ago thanks to the Wuhan virus. I'm waiting for my first SS check. May go back as a part timer - we'll see. Plenty of
projects around the house. I'll squeeze in some gun time though.

AC
Retirement taught me one thing. Work sucks. My stress level is down and I am truly free to do what I want. It's not retirement that stops me now its being older. I can't split as many firewood logs at a time as I used to nor cut as many trees. But I can still launch a boat.

DEP

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
Retirement taught me one thing. Work sucks. My stress level is down and I am truly free to do what I want. It's not retirement that stops me now its being older. I can't split as many firewood logs at a time as I used to nor cut as many trees. But I can still launch a boat.

DEP
I have a decal on my old toolbox, that says( No Working during Fishing Hours)

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
Walking in the rain

Took my walk in the rain, this morning wasn't pouring, but
Damp and chilly, took a couple carrots
Down to Mr Ed. Think you can see the rain hitting the pond. And the swamp is coming to life, looking just beautiful

Attachments

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
My exercise yesterday was hooking up equipment and sitting on the tractor plowing up a food plot. My tractor is not a large one so I claim to just scratch the sod, but clover and other foods do grow. Its been dry and the ground here gets hard so the disc I can sometime use doesn't do it. Tried it and realized I was kidding myself so I hooked up the plow. Its a double blade plow that came with the place and is a big large for the tractor. But I will get the clover/turnip/rape mixture planted and have an extended food plot. If you do it right, about 1/3 a year after a bit then you maintain a pretty good plot as every year you replant a third of the plot. Sometimes I rotate a bit with oats. Seen a few turkeys in an oat plot.

DEP

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Raining now. I like to plant just before a rain but could not make it this time. Rain may loosen the ground up a bit for plowing. Clover is about the best planting I can have for food plots in my soil. Its an enjoyable pastime in itself. I have not seen any bucks on it in November like you see on the plastic bags of the food plot seeds but I have seen it benefit does a lot. I buy a lot of seed from a farm supply that is about 1/3 the price of the food plot seed. Really have not seen that much difference as local seed companies sell what grows locally.

DEP

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #515
Headed back out on the river, striper fishing, the river is a mess, from all the rain, looks like chocolate milk. You wouldn't think that boat could fit under that bridge, but it made it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I have two boats I use, one is a 16' Lund that I use on the larger lakes or with family and the other is my 14' with a 5 horse that I use on the small lakes. Neither is ready yet and I will have to remedy that . Top off the charge on my trolling motor batteries and get things in order. Fishing opens this Saturday but its too much of a circus to suit me. Still looking forward to it. Should be out after pan fish but the wind has been pretty strong lately. Don't eat many fish I catch anymore. Got a deal on a bag of Tilapia and may do that more and more catch and release. Only thing that bothers me about C&R is that I like to keep the fish that get killed on the hookup. But now with slot limits some have to go back as turtle food. MN has a "conservation" license I buy for wife and I that only permits 1/2 limits. Don't like to clean all those fish anymore anyway. Gto the fly rods out now and may do more of that. Bass and bluegills on a fly rod with the occasional Northern are a lot of fun.

DEP

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
I have two boats I use, one is a 16' Lund that I use on the larger lakes or with family and the other is my 14' with a 5 horse that I use on the small lakes. Neither is ready yet and I will have to remedy that . Top off the charge on my trolling motor batteries and get things in order. Fishing opens this Saturday but its too much of a circus to suit me. Still looking forward to it. Should be out after pan fish but the wind has been pretty strong lately. Don't eat many fish I catch anymore. Got a deal on a bag of Tilapia and may do that more and more catch and release. Only thing that bothers me about C&R is that I like to keep the fish that get killed on the hookup. But now with slot limits some have to go back as turtle food. MN has a "conservation" license I buy for wife and I that only permits 1/2 limits. Don't like to clean all those fish anymore anyway. Gto the fly rods out now and may do more of that. Bass and bluegills on a fly rod with the occasional Northern are a lot of fun.

DEP
Go for it , never do today what you can put off till another day. Then you have lots of time for fishing

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
No Primers that is one big boat what the heck do you pull it with, a team of Cat D11's

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Got a hip out of place and need to see the chiropractor. Hope I can get it looked at. It has happened a couple of times before. Needs a chiropractor with a bit of an attitude and only takes one session. Had a woman chiropractor recommended to me but she lacked the strength to do what's needed. I can get around but it does hurt a bit. Need to get the boats out pretty quick. Been cold and windy and I have wood and a foo plot to get in. But NP's right about one thing, I will be making time to fish.

DEP

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #520 (Edited)
No Primers that is one big boat what the heck do you pull it with, a team of Cat D11's
Most likely Fairbanks & Morris engines multiples. We had one on the klondike, for an auxiliary generator, they are huge, they have a catwalk around the engine to service and maintain them.
Maximum RPM 500 . That was one of the drills to shut it down if it started to run away.
Funny, but that is what I wanted to be in the Navy. Was a diesel engine mechanic, when I first seen one of those monsters, I was hypnotized by it.

501 - 520 of 692 Posts