Marlin Firearms Forum banner

221 - 240 of 690 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
5.5 miles with Maverick this afternoon. Was raining pretty hard this morning so elected to do the hike in the afternoon when it let up. Part of this hike is on city streets, right to the edge of town. Then it goes up a gravel road to an earthen dam that was part of a now-closed gold mine. The mine was still operating in the mid 1990's. Makes a nice walk, good elevation gain, making the legs work.

Yes, I've seen mule deer in this gulch. Not usually until winter though:

That rocky point towers above my home:

It was a good walk. Bumped into a couple of great folks I know. Nice to see them. This is a popular hiking area since it's right on the edge of town. I don't have to drive at all to get to the trailhead! A 20 min walk gets me there.

Regards, Guy[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Foggy morning, on my walk gave Mr. Ed his carrot, and spotted 3 deer in a field.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
The fog lifted from yesterday morning, but dark when I left

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
Steep, icy, three-mile hike with the dog this morning. Instead of hiking from home, I drove the Jeep 12 miles to a trailhead. Then we headed up! About 3 miles round trip, and nearly 900' of climb. Snow isn't deep yet, but the popular hiking trail is very icy in places. Beautiful up there - particularly with the larch/tamarack trees turning.

The lake is frozen, no need for a fly rod this time:

Dog enjoyed the hike.

There is still a bit of thermal/volcanic activity in the area. When snow blankets the area - there are still a few places where warm rocks melt the snow & ice, and steam vents... I'll see if I can get a decent photo of it when I snowshoe in here, later this winter.

Had my pack, one trekking pole, my camera, my handheld ham radio and my S&W 629, loaded with 250 gr cast lead semi-wadcutters. The area is known to have bear, mountain lion and wolves. I figure being armed is better than being unarmed up there.

Good hike, a bit slick. Should have used my shoe-spikes!

Guy[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Washington State?

Beautiful Country! Ever see any tracks of BIG FOOT? :embarassed:

Mike T.

Reactions: mikom and M700

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
Today the dog and I walked from home. We walked sidewalks to the edge of town where there's a trailhead. Then up onto the grounds of an old mining operation.

Covered 7.1 miles, gained just shy of 1,200', and averaged 3.2 mph according to Strava. Strava is an "app" on my phone that tracks the route & speed. I use it on my walks, bicycle rides and on my kayak paddling trips.

Guy

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
Today we hiked with the shotgun! And, I actually managed to send some birdshot in the general direction of some huns... Sad. Hungarian partridge for those who don't know. A wonderful game bird.

Working with Maverick on his hunting skills. Right now he wants to hunt EVERYTHING from mice to moose... I'm working with him to narrow it down a bit. Upland game birds: quail, partridge, pheasant, grouse, that sort of thing. Meanwhile it's fun.

Today the wind was blowing hard, and the temps were unusually warm. Very dry too. Bad conditions for a dog to work.

We covered several miles in some rather steep country. Dog and I were both tired. I neglected to bring the good camera, but did get some shots with the cell phone camera. It's an interesting area, with a wonderful old, long-abandoned homestead. I've taken chukar, quail and grouse here before:

A good walk that took several hours. We thoroughly enjoyed. Maybe birds will fall next time.

Guy

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Only took my two mile walk this morning.
To sore after yesterday's workout. Up North.
Raining all day today, wind coming out of the east.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
Oddly, I limited myself to a bit over two miles yesterday, and walked in the late afternoon. That was nice though, 'cause it was sort of warm, and the low sun angle was hitting the trees & leaves nicely. Did see the young eagle once, but didn't get a decent photo of him. He was flying rapidly above the Wenatchee River. The walk is through an area at the confluence of the Wenatchee & Columbia rivers, known as the Horan Natural Area. Very nice little area, tucked away in an otherwise unused corner of our valley. Great place to observe wildlife!

The eagles nest in those tall trees, near the Wenatchee River:

Radio towers for the local stations. Cascade foothills in the background:

Young Maverick the dog is getting better behaved, and becoming quite the pleasant walking companion.

I hope to have a much more ambitious hike for us in a day or two.

'Morning all.

Guy[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Guy ,how big is the field in front of those goal post :questionmark::questionmark::questionmark::cheers:

Reactions: mikom and M700

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
M700,great pics! Those Chargers are fast buggers,have deputy buddies that give me a quick ride when they get them. Mike2010 thanks for reminding me why my knees are killing me today!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I had a 72 Charger the only thing it could not pass was the gas station,nope thats a lie it was a dog it still got sucks mileage

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
Easy 2.6 mile walk near the confluence of the Wenatchee & Columbia rivers today. Beautiful bright sunshine. Morning temp was only 19 degrees!

Despite the presence of the dog, I got some decent photos of various birds. Got a few mule deer photos - but nothing worth showing. And apparently missed our resident moose by about 10 minutes. Someday...

Glad I got photos of the bright leaves a few days ago. Most are turning brown and falling from the trees now. Ah well. Winter is coming... Felt like it's getting pretty close with that chilly 19 degree morning today.

Guy[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
Got out this morning for another walk near the Columbia & Wenatchee rivers. Amazingly, even with the dog along, we managed to slip pretty close to some wildlife:

Hmmm... moose poop...

And, you'll have to take my word for it, this is a bedded-down moose. I didn't want to linger, was afraid that the dog and I would disturb her:

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Nice pics, your dinggle berrys are in season???

Reactions: M700
221 - 240 of 690 Posts