In 64 they cheapened the 94

In 80 the lawyers won and made the 94 not worth owning

In 2006 the Asians bought the rights to Winchester

Now they are third world junk heaps

The only 45/70 I'd buy today is from Henry

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Guess it depends on how you look at it. Marlins are made by Remington, and Winchesters are made by Browning, neither made in the original factory by Marlin or Winchester employees . In my book, they are no longer Marlins and no longer Winchesters. Remington/Browning selling copies of guns under a brand name, is all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you need to have it scoped then buy a Henry. IMO Henry makes a much better rifle than Marlin or Remlin. If iron sights are fine then any of the current reproduction 1886's are much nicer rifles than either of the others but you will also pay more money.
As always, every one has a different opinion and the only one that matters is yours because it is your money.

Reactions: Chigger

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Well I have 4 Winchesters from 1957 to the Mirokus and 6 Marlins from the 1960s to 1987. My 1895 marlin 45-70 has taken more game than most folks will have the chance to hunt, and I like them all. The Winchester light rifle in 45-70 from Japan works as well as any.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Pard:

I can't agree with you at all. The Japanese Winchesters are fine looking rifles. Everything I ever heard or read from owners report that those rifles are a fine firearm.

After WW2 Americans laughed at Japanese junk. No one's laughing anymore.

Mike T.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Jap made Browning model 71 .348 WCF rifle from the mid '80s that I have owned for many years is almost as perfect as can be in fit & finish. Smooth. Accurate. Maybe almost flawless to the people I know who love long guns.
Any one who calles the Jap made Winchester/Browning guns third world junk I believe is blowing smoke & need a reality check.
Talk from experience and not emotion.

V65Magna

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Guess it depends on how you look at it. Marlins are made by Remington, and Winchesters are made by Browning, neither made in the original factory by Marlin or Winchester employees . In my book, they are no longer Marlins and no longer Winchesters. Remington/Browning selling copies of guns under a brand name, is all.
What!? So, Twinkies are no longer Twinkies? :(

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
As I stated in a other thread, I have no issue whatsoever with the quality of the Miroku Winchesters. My issue is with the price. Usually if production of a product is moved overseas, the primary reason is to save on costs. Japanese made Winchesters are over twice the price of Marlins. I'm pretty sure FN, or Olin, or Browning, or whoever the heck it is actually owns Winchester could make them just as good here for $1,200.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm sure that the Japanese Winchesters will do the job o.k., but I have a 1957 model 94 in 30-30, and have compared them side by side. The difference in deep rich bluing, hand fitted hardware and quality of furniture are quite noticeable. By the way, the jury is still out on the Henry 45-70. Garrett has sent them +P ammo to test with, but they and I have both been in constant contact with Henry, and so far Henry is saying not to use +P ammo in their rifle. Further testing pending....

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a new Winchester 86 45-70 carbine made in 2012, it shoots very well and has never jammed like a couple of Marlin's I have had in the past. It locks up like a bank vault and is stronger than the Marlin, I still run the same lower pressure loads through both. My JM Marlin 45-70 GS shoots very accurately with the compact Leupold scope I have on it. But, the Winchester is a lot nicer and is finished a lot nicer than the Marlin.
Some people knock the Miroku made 86's, clearly they have never shot or owned one. I would rather have a quality 86 than a crappy made Remlin boat anchor.
I would sell my Marlin before the Winchester, all prejudice aside, it's a better made rifle.

Reactions: miket156

·
Registered
395 Posts

That's true, Remington makes very bad copies, Browning makes very good copies, they are as good or better than the originals due to better metals.
The Brownings and Winchesters will always be more expensive due to the fact they put the time into making a quality firearm.
Remington pumps out there crap by the boat load and hopes nobody looks close.
Just look at the new Remington recall on their new triggers, I have been buying Remington rifles most of my life, but holy crap with the junk these days.
I am not buying a new Remington, I will be looking for the older ones, at least you know what you're getting.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I love my Marlin's but the only one that I have that comes close to my Miroku Winchester in build quality is my 1948 336 that was my Great Grandmother's deer rifle. It is still smoother and better fit than either of my 1895's (2001 CB and a 2009 G) and their is actually more round through both the 1895's than the 336.

Reactions: Tom T.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
That was the first negative comment I have ever heard about the Japanese Winchesters, every other one was highly positive with emphasis on quality and workmanship.
Well WaHunter , I agree" , Japan is putting out some very nice Winchester rifles , that I have seen . I guess you would call them a reproduction Winchester 's but I have to say myself" , the quality on the model 94's are 2nd. too none . Browning shotgun are also a work of art" and have been for a Long time . Weatherby Bolt rifles are some of the Prettiest and best shooting Out" of the box you can find ...... Unlike Remington so~called out of the box good shooter's , there not" I'm talking about there So~called Prized">>>>700 Action rifles . They shoot Good , once you work um over a little>>> Out Of The Box , I know , I have one , a BDL 700 Action . With that said , I'm pretty inclined to think these reproduction Marlin rifles are to same way , no matter what I read on this M/O's Sight , about new Marlin Lever rifles ..... That's just my opinion fellow's about Remington / Marlin rifles .

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
The Jap made Browning model 71 .348 WCF rifle from the mid '80s that I have owned for many years is almost as perfect as can be in fit & finish. Smooth. Accurate. Maybe almost flawless to the people I know who love long guns.
Any one who calles the Jap made Winchester/Browning guns third world junk I believe is blowing smoke & need a reality check.
Talk from experience and not emotion.

V65Magna
I agree with you And Mike" about the Jap made rifles . There By NO" Mean's 3 rd. world , and Haven't been for a LONG Long time . The truth hurt's America quite a bit , but Hey , I'm like Chigger ,Rono , Mike and 65Magna , were all just calling it as we see it , and a Lot of other people feel the same way , shootin there Browning , and Winchester , and Weatherby rifles and Shotguns .

Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.