Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know, I bought a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo AWD in 2013..................Great car for traveling, great mileage and plenty of performance on the Asphalt.................BUT..........:ahhhhh:

It was NOT good in VT on dirt and old logging roads........I missed the fact that it had no ground clearance or usable approach angle. and also no undercarriage protection...........

So, Having owned a number of Pick Up Trucks, I thought I'd look for an inexpensive Jeep Wrangler for a part time hunting and fishing vehicle.
I looked around, and got a real education on how expensive a used Wrangler can be..........:ahhhhh:

So, being that I'm 68, close to 69,............and my wife drives a nice 2012 Acura TSX, I decided having two road vehicles was redundant at this point in our lives...........

The only economical/smart thing for me to do was to trade the Hyundai on a NEW Wrangler..............I decided on the Sahara Hardtop model, as opposed to the Rubicon, due to some creature comforts and a bit better gas Mileage............I'm not going Rock Climbing anyway. And, I wanted the 2 door for its compact size. I don't see needing 4 doors anyway.

This Wrangler is a 3.6 L Penta Star V-6 coupled to a 5 speed Auto Transmission, with 321:1 gearing. It has most of the U-connect connectivity and creature comforts of the Hyundai and the Acura................Tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T's............hopefully, a good compromise for my intended use.

I've been driving this new Wrangler since mid June, and feel I made the right choice in trading the Hyundai.

Mileage seems to be about 19/20 around town and 23/24 Highway....................That's fine IMO, for a vehicle with so much utility. Maybe it will get a bit better after a few miles.

The only problem is a mental one, for me...:vollkommenauf:......................I'd rather take a well used vehicle into the woods than a brand new unscathed one.........:shot:.......Anyway, I'm looking forward to Deer season in VT this year, with a vehicle capable of taking me where I want to go................

I've added a custom leather strap restraint system utilizing the tie down bolts for the hardtop to constrain rifles in the rear on each fender well. I've tested this system on a trip to VT with a short 336 and a 336ER......it seems to do the job well. I'll no doubt be adding some more features and accessories in the future, too.

I'll be packing a bit lighter this year, due to available cargo space, but I've been trying to minimize my gear (without much luck) for years, anyway..............The mindset has always been...."I've got the room, so I might as well take "it" along.............I plan to get a cargo carrier to utilize with the trailer hitch for a Cooler and for transporting Game, too.

Here's some pics of the old, and the new...................I also included a pic of the rifle restraint system, too. Maybe some others with Wranglers might like to copy it.

Thanks for looking, I'm excited about this............

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Very nice addition, I'd take the Jeep over the Hyundai any day. Nice rack ;)

Reactions: Tomray

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
nice ride

Reactions: Tomray and Boobarzo

·
Registered
497 Posts
That is a nice hooptie. You will enjoy it. As soon as you get the first scratch on it , everything else won't matter. Good luck to ya.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts