Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "new" 1895 Cowboy yes or no?

How are the last batches of Remlin 1895 Cowboy? Maybe it's better to buy a used one made by Marlin.

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
Re: The "new" 1895 Cowboy yes or no?

Buster95 said:
How are the last batches of Remlin 1895 Cowboy? Maybe it's better to buy a used one made by Marlin.
IMO, you answered your own question...........

Tom

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts

I've held many Remlins (no cowboys) and only a couple had okay fit & finish. Not trying to knock any that are owned by members but just saying the ones I've held in gun stores are terrible. I can't talk about shooting any Remlins.

I would run away as fast as I could from buying/owning any current day Remlins. I along with many are hoping that they get their act together soon. I won't go as far as to say I'll never buy one but they will really have to improve their quality & workmanship.

1895Gunner

·
Registered
11 Posts

I just had brand new 1895Cowboy in my hands yesterday. It was virtually identical to my 5 year old one both in fit and finish. Not exactly the most spectacular stock finish but all of the metal was just as my gun. The earlier guns had mediocre stock finishes too that 's why we refinish them.
One thing I did notice, is that on my gun the lever has got sharp edges on the cutout for your hand in fact I have to clean mine up before I shoot any more.
The new one had the lever opening nicely profiled like the much older guns had.
I went to the SHOT Show this last Feb. and every Marlin gun that I looked at was better finished and executed than the ones from the last days of Marlin.
I have seen no less than 10 brand new Marlin rifles from the last few years that had the barrels screwed in WELL PAST center. I saw 5 in one shop!
I personally think the new ones are better guns, and they will only get better from here. I have looked at alot of them and I do know what I'm looking at. Marlin had definately peaked out, and was not getting better. It was time for a change.
If you can find a new gun I'd buy it as they aren't going to be making any of the old stuff any more. time to move on.
Also one should run the serial number for date of Mfg, as alot of the new guns out there are from older production runs that have just been released. Kind of throws a Monkey Wrench in the new gun bad theory. Alot of older production is still unsold. Just because it appears to be new doesn't mean it was made by Rem. Serial # tells the truth.

Randy

·
Registered
100 Posts

W.R.Buchanan said:
I just had brand new 1895Cowboy in my hands yesterday. It was virtually identical to my 5 year old one both in fit and finish. Not exactly the most spectacular stock finish but all of the metal was just as my gun. The earlier guns had mediocre stock finishes too that 's why we refinish them.
One thing I did notice, is that on my gun the lever has got sharp edges on the cutout for your hand in fact I have to clean mine up before I shoot any more.
I went to the SHOT Show this last Feb. and every Marlin gun that I looked at was better finished and executed than the ones from the last days of Marlin.
I have seen no less than 10 brand new Marlin rifles from the last few years that had the barrels screwed in WELL PAST center. I saw 5 in one shop!
I personally think the new ones are better guns, and they will only get better from here. I have looked at alot of them and I do know what I'm looking at. Marlin had definately peaked out, and was not getting better. It was time for a change.
If you can find a new gun I'd buy it as they aren't going to be making any of the old stuff any more. time to move on.

Randy
You have had a vastly different experience with the remington made Marlins than myself and most others.
If you can find an older gun in good condition I'd buy it as the newer ones being made now are in my experience pathetic.

·
Registered
11 Posts

harry otool said:
You have had a vastly different experience with the remington made Marlins than myself and most others.

Harry please revise that to "some" others. I have seen hundreds of these "newer" guns I work part time in a gun store! Randy

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts

W.R.Buchanan said:
Also one should run the serial number for date of Mfg, as alot of the new guns out there are from older production runs that have just been released. Kind of throws a Monkey Wrench in the new gun bad theory. Alot of older production is still unsold. Just because it appears to be new doesn't mean it was made by Rem. Serial # tells the truth.

Randy
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT KNOW MR BUCHANAN, I AM NOT RELATED TO HIM IN ANY WAY, I CANNOT VERIFY ANY INFORMATION GIVEN BY HIM AND I TEND NOT TO BELIEVE WHAT HE HAS WRITTEN.
KAWESKAR OF PATAGONIA
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Just kiiding, if you don't understand, go to http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,92550.0.html

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts

W.R.Buchanan said:
Serial # tells the truth.

Randy
Hi Randy, would you please provide those serial numbers by year and make? Thanks

Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts

W.R.Buchanan said:

Randy
So......we should run the serial number for date of Mfg to avoid buying older production runs because the new ones are better guns? ???

·
Registered
11 Posts

I have read alot of bitching on this forum today. I have read about guns that were much worse than some of the bad ones I have seen. Like I said I saw 5 1894 carbines (not Cowboys) that had the barrels turned way past vertical and the sights were literally 5 degrees to the left off vertical! This is all in the same shop and was 4 years ago so Remington didn't have anything to do with it.

All those guns were sent back to Davidsons and were replaced with ones that were right. No questions asked.

Some of the rants I have read today are kind of confounding. When I see a guy talking about his new SBL and how it won't hit the broad side of a barn, and the sights are 4/32nds of an inch off center and the barrel is not in the center of the reciever, and the magazine tube is not in line with the barrel, and all the screws are buggered?

I have to ask? Why did you buy the thing in the first place? Don't you look at a gun before you buy it?

I have 5 Marlin leveraction rifles. 2 New ones and 3 older ones. I am very familiar with the insides and outsides of Marlin Rifles and I do all of my own gunsmithing on the ones I buy and I work on EVERYONE I buy, because they ALL need help. They are utility class guns and always have been.

Randy

·
Registered
6,670 Posts

Personally, I find someone who's in the business of selling new Marlins talking them up not too comforting. Every Remington built Marlin that I've seen, I wouldn't waste my money on.

·
Registered
258 Posts

W.R.Buchanan said:
I personally think the new ones are better guns, and they will only get better from here. I have looked at alot of them and I do know what I'm looking at. Marlin had definately peaked out, and was not getting better.
Maybe... and I am really going out on a limb here... its because....Freedom Group took over the management of Marlin in 2007.

I am not hopelessly nostolgic, every company has the occasional quality control issue - particularly when trying to keep costs down and compete with the Chinese. However, anyone who dealt with the old Marlin knows that they truely put the customer first with a low cost and amazingly high quality product. Quality deteriorated after Cerberus' Freedom Group showed up and the wheels fell off when the Marlin plant in CT was closed. Any other story is revisionist history. Change may have been inevitable but the way that the Freedom Group has managed it is the worst I have ever seen. I had to deal with Remington customer service regarding a 2009 gun that I purchased and I hope I never have to do that again - 12 full months of back and forth over a simple issue. I hope that they get their act together but so far I see no sign of it.

rob

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

We have too many former employees here from Marlin that know better. It will be a long time before I consider buying a Remlin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts