Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to try out a baitcasting style of reel for a while. Many seem to use them so i figured there had to be a reason. I finally picked one up while at cabelas yesterday. Got an abu garcia black max reel and cabelas rod combo for $60 on sale. Figured it would be good to start on without breaking the bank.

Tried it out some today and boy is it a different animal lol. It is definitely going to take alot more practice and learning to master it lol. Still fun.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The more you spend on a baitcaster,the easier they are to use. I love the shimano chronarch. They aren't cheap,but you definitely get what you pay for. Spending the day unpicking birdsnests is not much fun.

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
I still own several of the old style Garcia bait casters. I started using them for bass fishing and salt water flats fishing 40 years ago. Once you get the hang of it you will be able to cast further and hit your mark more often. You need to adjust it correctly to keep from having a back lash or even worse. If yours is like the ones I have there should be a adjusting knob to tighten the spool. Hold the rod straight out with your bait on the line and release the spool. It needs to fall slowly to the floor. Once you do that you should be ready to practice casting and stopping the spool at the correct time. After you get use to it you can loosen it a little to cast even further.

The good thing about the nest as when you get one and are trying to untangle it the fish start biting and everyone around you will be catching them.:biggrin:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have tons of practice to do. I had a few big tangles but after a little bit I got to where I could cast with out getting anything too major tangled. Only problem is didn't really have much distance. All in due time though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha. This is my first try at anything baitcaster. We will see how it turns out. Hasn't been too horrible yet haha. Gotta practice more for sure.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
My suggestion is to tie a 1/2 sinker on your line. The weight will help educate your thumb. Start with just lobbing casts, don't try for any accuracy. When you can pitch it underhanded you know you got it!! Or throw a two handed overcast and slow the line down as it hits the water, what a good feeling you'll have. It just takes practice. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
I love my bait casters, I've been using them all my life, well at least as long as they have been making them castable! I kind of feel I have mine mastered, but every once in a while, I make a mistake or some such and get a mega birdsnest, most times I change reels, and cut it out later. Thumb control, and knowing when to tighten up or let off thumb pressure. I haven't used a spinning reel in bass fishing in a very long time!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
well now you are an apprentice baitcaster
soon enuf you will be a
master baiter
sorry couldnt resist :flute:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys! I'll practice in the backyard. Should keep me busy for a while haha.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
I still own several of the old style Garcia bait casters. I started using them for bass fishing and salt water flats fishing 40 years ago. Once you get the hang of it you will be able to cast further and hit your mark more often. You need to adjust it correctly to keep from having a back lash or even worse. If yours is like the ones I have there should be a adjusting knob to tighten the spool. Hold the rod straight out with your bait on the line and release the spool. It needs to fall slowly to the floor. Once you do that you should be ready to practice casting and stopping the spool at the correct time. After you get use to it you can loosen it a little to cast even further.

The good thing about the nest as when you get one and are trying to untangle it the fish start biting and everyone around you will be catching them.:biggrin:
I like the old Garcia's myself, I have had the red 5000 since I was twelve years old, got it for a birthday present from Mom & Dad

Auto part Bicycle part Automotive engine part Hub gear Transmission part

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Haha. This is my first try at anything baitcaster. We will see how it turns out. Hasn't been too horrible yet haha. Gotta practice more for sure.
hang in there, it gets better with practice

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
Hill Country you have a great collection for sure. I only own two at this time but they are like bikes once you know how to cast it you will never forget. Always look up first because if you hang the lure on the branch above your head you are going to have a mess.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I like the old Garcia's myself, I have had the red 5000 since I was twelve years old, got it for a birthday present from Mom & Dad

View attachment 105479
Wow...quite a collection.!!

Okay...I'll bite ( pun intended..:biggrin: )....what is the advantage of a bait caster over a spin cast?

I have only had spin cast reels. When I was much younger and fishing whenever I could, I practiced casting to where I could put a sinker into the center of a tire at about 15 yards. It sure helped me when I was fishing along creek banks and needed to avoid branches and such.

So...what have I been missing..:hmmmm:

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts

Okay...I'll bite ( pun intended..:biggrin: )....what is the advantage of a bait caster over a spin cast?

I have only had spin cast reels. When I was much younger and fishing whenever I could, I practiced casting to where I could put a sinker into the center of a tire at about 15 yards. It sure helped me when I was fishing along creek banks and needed to avoid branches and such.

If you fish with them long enough you can cast further than a spinning reel with a light lure. You can cast side arm and under hand at the same time using a shorter rod. You can fish with a heavy line if need. That may have changed some with the braided lines and newer smaller diameters that they have today. When I first used them we were bass fishing in stumps and trees and you had to have a 15 to 20 lb line to drag a big fish out. Most of all they have a great feel and you can work a lure at any speed and cast to a small target. The drags are strong and will not destroy the reel if it is well made.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts

they typically accommodate heavier line and baits, plus you can horse 'em out of the submerged timber in the flooded impoundments we fish here in Texas or chasing the big stripers

Reactions: granpa52

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
I love bait casters and only buy Garcia. They are definitely for the heavier lures for sure. The way line is wrapped on the spool during retrieve makes it like a tiny winch! No line twist and no line burying itself into the rest of the line on the spool. When you have something big on the line I would prefer it to be on a bait caster!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.