Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13,062 Posts
A weekend rant for an incurable problem.

First off, if the Mod deems this material is more suited to the "Less-than-useless Drivel" thread; by all means feel free to move it.

I had to go to one of the super-malls, (mall, name unimportant - it's "everymall") yesterday afternoon.

Times sure have changed, and for the worse. Common sense, and common courtesy are dead, dead, dead!

Driving your car into a mall parking lot is, flat out, one of the most dangerous places you can go into, especially on the weekends.

We have forgotten our manners. We have forgotten "situational awareness" safety - look where you are, look around you. Pay attention!

We used to be taught this by our parents - be aware of cars backing out of a parking space. You could get "run over"!

Pretty simple: "don't walk in back of a car that is "backing up"!

Nowadays, everyone is too impatient, and/or too focused on 'texting' while walking behind the car that "I'm about to run you down with!"

Lordy, I just want to jump out of my truck, sometimes - like yesterday, and give 'em "what for", but all I'd get for my troubles would be 'single-digit' salutes.

My biggest fear is that I will, inevitably, hear the screams of agony and horror, and the realization that I just squashed someone's little toddler because I didn't see them, because the parent wasn't tending to them as they should. Still, it would be my fault, no doubt - but still, a dead child is a dead child.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesn't count for much in that circumstance.

So, a general admonishment to all of us - please, be patient; be generous to that jerk who is driving 30 m.p.h. through a parking lot to get to a space before you get there. Let the one who is backing out, the room,and safe space for him to get on his, or her way.

I'm the first one to remind myself - every time I go into this arena.

Have a safe motoring day, ya'll.

No dents, here!

Gr8rtst.
I was taught in grade school to look both ways before crossing traffic - whether on a public road, or in a parking lot.
I've had to slam on my brakes several times in parking lots, because of people walking from between cars, into my path of travel without looking. Pedestrians know they have right-of-way, but IMO, they should also use some common sense.

·
Registered
19,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Over the course of time, round-abouts move more traffic with fewer accidents than traditional intersections. They're great for intersections with 2 or more lanes in each direction, or IOW, larger intersections with traffic lights, or that SHOULD otherwise have traffic lights.

We have a few of them here in Sugar Land, but they're at intersections or spurs that would be better-served with stop signs.

Yeah, but the "learning curve" - no pun intended, for today's drivers is long. This is the U.S. of A.; we need instant gratification, and patience and common courtesy are definitely not two of our cherished virtues.

It will take a long while.

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I taught my kids not to walk behind cars, and never trust cars in a parking lot. I have seen babies barely old enough to walk running wild in busy parking lots, and their parents waddling down the center of the lane... Backing over, or running over a child is my worst nightmare, and I check under the back of my car/truck before backing out...

As for trying to make it into the store they have nice pretty white lines laid out for pedestrians to walk (they have the right of way) but many times I have seen people make solid 100% eye contact with me trying to cross while never slowing down... and some even speed up... most of these, or nearly all of these have been elderly drivers.

·
Registered
22,106 Posts
I taught my kids not to walk behind cars, and never trust cars in a parking lot. I have seen babies barely old enough to walk running wild in busy parking lots, and their parents waddling down the center of the lane... Backing over, or running over a child is my worst nightmare, and I check under the back of my car/truck before backing out...

As for trying to make it into the store they have nice pretty white lines laid out for pedestrians to walk (they have the right of way) but many times I have seen people make solid 100% eye contact with me trying to cross while never slowing down... and some even speed up... most of these, or nearly all of these have been elderly drivers.
I call them center walkers, yep strolling at ½ mile an hour blocking everyone. Geeze!!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yeah, but the "learning curve" - no pun intended, for today's drivers is long. This is the U.S. of A.; we need instant gratification, and patience and common courtesy are definitely not two of our cherished virtues.

It will take a long while.

Gr8rtst.
Probably less learning curve than you think. At a 4-way intersection with 3-4 lanes of traffic transiting it from all 4 directions, a round-about will simplify things for drivers. To enter a round-about, you only need to worry about what's on your left. To transit a round-about, you mostly just need to worry about people entering to your right. If you get pinched and can't make your exit, well, you're still in the round-about and try to make it on the next pass. Still better than sitting at a red light through 3 or 4 cycles until it's your turn.

·
Super Moderator
19,116 Posts
Over the course of time, round-abouts move more traffic with fewer accidents than traditional intersections. They're great for intersections with 2 or more lanes in each direction, or IOW, larger intersections with traffic lights, or that SHOULD otherwise have traffic lights.

We have a few of them here in Sugar Land, but they're at intersections or spurs that would be better-served with stop signs.
Ah Ha !........ not true.... fact no comprehensive data has been assembled on collateral damage of a roundabout compared to controlled intersections.
I know... i asked planners and engineers at 2 Public works departments for data.

What is said... is even if we have more accidents... it is car damage and less injury to people... (I still don't know how bike riders and pedestrians fair in super coliders ?) :hmmmm2:
we all know controlled intersections get some ugly accidents.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Ah Ha !........ not true.... fact no comprehensive data has been assembled on collateral damage of a roundabout compared to controlled intersections.
I know... i asked planners and engineers at 2 Public works departments for data.

What is said... is even if we have more accidents... it is car damage and less injury to people... (I still don't know how bike riders and pedestrians fair in super coliders ?) :hmmmm2:
we all know controlled intersections get some ugly accidents.
Then there's this from Washington State DOT: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roundabouts/benefits.htm

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
In the Mall of America in Minnesota today some punks tried to pick a fight with me because they don't like how I walk. The kids were like a mob of predators moving in packs of 12 or more. Hitting emergency stops on the escalators and banging into people on a Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
22,106 Posts
The Mall of America in Minnesota today some punks tried to pick a fight with me because they don't like how I walk. The kids were like a mob of predators moving in packs of 12 or more. Hitting emergency stops on the escalators and banging into people on a Sunday afternoon.
NO RESPECT FOR ANYTHING. They are the types that shoot up schools, blame guns, and run to Mommy!

·
Super Moderator
19,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Thanks for the info ... Planners have gave me over 6 other links (and admitted they were not a complete analisis). yours looks like it is user friendly.
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Overall, round-abouts appear to be safer (from the perspective of fewer fatalities or major accidents) and move traffic faster, at the cost of a few more fender-benders.

FWIW, Myth Busters did their own "scientific" study on this a few years ago. Their experiment didn't speak to accidents, but it did demonstrate that round-abouts move traffic through intersections more efficiently than stop signs and traffic lights. Seems like there was something like a 20% efficiency gain. That isn't trivial when multiplied across the dozens of intersections we traverse daily.

·
Registered
11,601 Posts
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Overall, round-abouts appear to be safer (from the perspective of fewer fatalities or major accidents) and move traffic faster, at the cost of a few more fender-benders.

FWIW, Myth Busters did their own "scientific" study on this a few years ago. Their experiment didn't speak to accidents, but it did demonstrate that round-abouts move traffic through intersections more efficiently than stop signs and traffic lights. Seems like there was something like a 20% efficiency gain. That isn't trivial when multiplied across the dozens of intersections we traverse daily.
Personally, besides the fuel, pollution, time, etc., savings/efficiency, I'm sure as people get used to them for the most part, the accident angle is better over-all as well. My wife spent over two weeks in the hospital with serious injuries after being "T-boned" by a gal running a red light while not paying attention, and know that wouldn't have happened in a roundabout... if anything, more along the lines of a non-injury fender-bender.

Reactions: sgt_zim

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
:hmmmm: Parking lots can be fun...
One of my daughters first driving lessons was to a Wallymart parking lot on a Friday evening.
I didn't know that she knew those kinds of words :girl: She put together some pretty good combos too.

I have no idea where she may have learned that. :wink:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts