Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A weekend rant for an incurable problem.

First off, if the Mod deems this material is more suited to the "Less-than-useless Drivel" thread; by all means feel free to move it.

I had to go to one of the super-malls, (mall, name unimportant - it's "everymall") yesterday afternoon.

Times sure have changed, and for the worse. Common sense, and common courtesy are dead, dead, dead!

Driving your car into a mall parking lot is, flat out, one of the most dangerous places you can go into, especially on the weekends.

We have forgotten our manners. We have forgotten "situational awareness" safety - look where you are, look around you. Pay attention!

We used to be taught this by our parents - be aware of cars backing out of a parking space. You could get "run over"!

Pretty simple: "don't walk in back of a car that is "backing up"!

Nowadays, everyone is too impatient, and/or too focused on 'texting' while walking behind the car that "I'm about to run you down with!"

Lordy, I just want to jump out of my truck, sometimes - like yesterday, and give 'em "what for", but all I'd get for my troubles would be 'single-digit' salutes.

My biggest fear is that I will, inevitably, hear the screams of agony and horror, and the realization that I just squashed someone's little toddler because I didn't see them, because the parent wasn't tending to them as they should. Still, it would be my fault, no doubt - but still, a dead child is a dead child.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesn't count for much in that circumstance.

So, a general admonishment to all of us - please, be patient; be generous to that jerk who is driving 30 m.p.h. through a parking lot to get to a space before you get there. Let the one who is backing out, the room,and safe space for him to get on his, or her way.

I'm the first one to remind myself - every time I go into this arena.

Have a safe motoring day, ya'll.

No dents, here!

Gr8rtst.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
:hmmmm: Parking lots can be fun...

I am kinda liking the Roundabouts :vollkommenauf: (Oregon has discovered this super collider and wants them everywhere).
They put 3 in... in a community of 60,000 that serves half a Million several years ago.

Twice I have gone down and parked on a side street to watch the circus of the biggest and busiest one in work hour traffic :hmmmm: (I think I will start selling tickets to this event).
who knows but most of the drivers been driving this for at least 10 yrs...
Friday night...work hour traffic and I saw about 45 min of ............. speeders, people who wouldn't go when 1/2 the circle was empty for them... seen one guy stop in the circle
to let the traffic on his right enter the circle :rofl: (telling ya this was funner than WWF at its best).

People... I am tellin ya... we know some people don't know how to drive, but if you have a roundabout in your hood you just have to go witness the event from as far off the sidewalk
as you can get :coffee:

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot about the "roundabouts". Yeah, they've been popping up here over the last few years.

Had to be something from Europe - had to be. Doesn't make them a good idea.

It would be nice if someone would tell everybody who has a drivers' license how to negotiate them without causing a pile-up.

I've seen a couple. Unbelievable!

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I got used to round-a-bouts while serving in the UK, and kinda' like them myself. The problem I've seen with some put in more recently in some towns around here, is that they are sort of small in comparison to those I used a lot, and more an afterthought so to say. Some I used overseas are so large, you almost don't know you're using one. City planners here seem to be trying to squeeze them into to a lay-out designed more for traffic signals originally, and not enough real estate/room to do it right. If designed into the early stages of city planning, they work pretty darn good. The advantages are you don't have to stop, not wasting gas or time waiting for a signal to change, or the left/right turn arrows to finally get done, and also the less pollution angle bonus due to all that. Plus, if you screwed up missing the turn/street you wanted, just keep going around to get back to it in short order, ha!

Btw, MO now has a new area for threads similar to this, be it life's happenings and/or thoughts that don't quite fit elsewhere and to "chat about stuff" so to say. It's called Gunrunners Grotto & Smoking Lounge just below the Asylum in the main menu. I can move it there if you want..?

·
Registered
29,505 Posts
Lowe's parking lot on a Sunday!

Just today! I always park far enough away from the moron's here! But chezz one woman blowing her horn like a mad-cow! One man driving like on a interstate!

Rap music, coming from a one ton! :argh:

That's just walking to front doors! Got my 12" chain for Echo tree trimmer, only one chain on that whole rack! The rest of box's was empty! Stolen!

Now to make it back to truck with out getting run over in parking lot!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
We have lots of roundabouts, they work really well and are far better than crossroads and traffic lights. They allow the smooth flow of traffic, with one simple rule, give way to your right. I am not saying they will work everywhere, but they do here in the UK. Even the magic roundabout in Hemel Hampstead. If you want scary, google a pic of that one.... Been round it myself a few times. You can actually go both ways!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Hemel_Hempstead)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Forgot about the "roundabouts". Yeah, they've been popping up here over the last few years.

Had to be something from Europe - had to be. Doesn't make them a good idea.

It would be nice if someone would tell everybody who has a drivers' license how to negotiate them without causing a pile-up.

I've seen a couple. Unbelievable!

Gr8rtst.
Yield to traffic in the circle!! I'm sure it looked good on paper.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
We have lots of roundabouts, they work really well and are far better than crossroads and traffic lights. They allow the smooth flow of traffic, with one simple rule, give way to your right. I am not saying they will work everywhere, but they do here in the UK. Even the magic roundabout in Hemel Hampstead. If you want scary, google a pic of that one.... Been round it myself a few times. You can actually go both ways!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Hemel_Hempstead)
"give way to your right". tranteruk you don't say ? :hahaha: You guys yield to your right and we should yield to our left ? that might explain a bunch :biggrin:
I'd like to think those who have practiced these things for a year... could mix like experienced dancers.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Anywhere that can be considered a "Soft" target which is any public place of gathering if you live in a "Libertard" run State.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
Here is some real good thinkin :rofl:
So the shoulder lanes are for the bus... but if you are exiting to the right... it is legal to move into the right lane (and you should)
Deal is... who expects a bus to catch you when they are stopping along the way.
My best guess is this guy didn't know the bus was coming up on his right and truck turned from 2nd lane :rofl:

wreck 11th  on 2 26 18 small file.jpg

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Seems to be a trend here that some councils are now putting in traffic lights rather than roundabouts. The result being that the traffic is slowed down and gnarled up to an unbelievable level. The magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead ...................... I thought that was an April Fool's joke when it first came out:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Over the course of time, round-abouts move more traffic with fewer accidents than traditional intersections. They're great for intersections with 2 or more lanes in each direction, or IOW, larger intersections with traffic lights, or that SHOULD otherwise have traffic lights.

We have a few of them here in Sugar Land, but they're at intersections or spurs that would be better-served with stop signs.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
:hmmmm: Parking lots can be fun...

I am kinda liking the Roundabouts :vollkommenauf: (Oregon has discovered this super collider and wants them everywhere).
They put 3 in... in a community of 60,000 that serves half a Million several years ago.

Twice I have gone down and parked on a side street to watch the circus of the biggest and busiest one in work hour traffic :hmmmm: (I think I will start selling tickets to this event).
who knows but most of the drivers been driving this for at least 10 yrs...
Friday night...work hour traffic and I saw about 45 min of ............. speeders, people who wouldn't go when 1/2 the circle was empty for them... seen one guy stop in the circle
to let the traffic on his right enter the circle :rofl: (telling ya this was funner than WWF at its best).

People... I am tellin ya... we know some people don't know how to drive, but if you have a roundabout in your hood you just have to go witness the event from as far off the sidewalk
as you can get :coffee:
We have an exit off our Northway, which is a larger highway, that dumps you off into a roundabout. That connects to two more roundabouts, before your true it all, and on your way. l would love to know how many accidents, they have there a year!

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got used to round-a-bouts while serving in the UK, and kinda' like them myself. The problem I've seen with some put in more recently in some towns around here, is that they are sort of small in comparison to those I used a lot, and more an afterthought so to say. Some I used overseas are so large, you almost don't know you're using one. City planners here seem to be trying to squeeze them into to a lay-out designed more for traffic signals originally, and not enough real estate/room to do it right. If designed into the early stages of city planning, they work pretty darn good. The advantages are you don't have to stop, not wasting gas or time waiting for a signal to change, or the left/right turn arrows to finally get done, and also the less pollution angle bonus due to all that. Plus, if you screwed up missing the turn/street you wanted, just keep going around to get back to it in short order, ha!

Btw, MO now has a new area for threads similar to this, be it life's happenings and/or thoughts that don't quite fit elsewhere and to "chat about stuff" so to say. It's called Gunrunners Grotto & Smoking Lounge just below the Asylum in the main menu. I can move it there if you want..?

Go for it!

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyway, you have to admit, that in this day and age, when you enter into the arena of the parking lot, you are entering at your own risk. It could and probably will happen to you - eventually.

Years ago, I and my first wife had recently moved to Valdosta, GA after her tour in Okinawa was over. I drove her car with a flat-bed tow trailer behind my Jeep Cherokee. Made it all the way - no problems. Her car had been garaged for 2 years while she was serving overseas.

On the weekend we arrived, we decided to take her '92 Acura Legend for a spin to a nearby shopping mall.

It's Sunday, and there are absolutely no cars in this mall's parking lot. Most of the cars in the lot are parked close to the stores' entrances, so I decided I would park farther away from any cars - call it "snobbery". You know, like the guy who uses two parking spaces so you can't park close to his "jewel". At least I didn't 'hog' any spaces.

Murphy's Law still applies. After spending some time shopping, we head for the car - I can't believe my eyes! We had parked our car a considerable distance across the lot - maybe the distance of a football field. Here is a rusted-out pick-up resting against the right front-end of the Acura!

Somehow, this guy forgot to put his truck in gear, and when he got out, it managed to roll down, diagonally, across the parking area and came to rest on ours. There were no other cars between where his began to roll and when it hit ours!

Parking lots - enter at your own risk!

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
29,505 Posts
Between New Iberia and Loreauville, LA they put in one of those roundabouts! Watched so many people just go round and not exit! I checked license plates to make sure and yep! All from Louisiana!

Years ago they had those in Alexandra, LA to get to different state roads, to go up north LA, I was driving big rigs at the time.

ca'jun56

1 - 20 of 40 Posts