Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my xs7 in .308 for awhile now and absolutly love it. Recently, however, I got the amazing pleasure of shooting a friends ruger gunsite scout, and now I have to have one. I believe that the pricetag on the ruger is a little steep for what your getting, I mean at that price I could easily build a .308 AR. I was wondering about the option of turning my xs7 into a scout, I'll probably shorten the barrel to the ruger's 16.5 inches and get it threaded. I really need help finding a scout mount and iron sights that will go along with the scout mount. I know there are other options out there for a build like this but I just love my xs7 so much, but the traditional mounting and not having iron sights is just not my 'style'. Would love the help.

·
Super Moderator
11,849 Posts
Interesting concept, I'd like to see how it turns out. As an aside, the Gunsite model was loosely based on the Ruger Frontier which is a superb woods gun. Plus they were available in several calibers (unlike the GS model) so that might be another option as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,281 Posts
Your in luck!
I just so happen to have a Savage Scout in 7mm-08. I'm doing some stock work on it, (cause that Tupperware stock sucks!).
I took the B-Square Scout scope mount and the Williams peep sight and bolted them onto my XL7C and took a picture. Everything mates up well and it looks like the only thing that you would have to do is drill and tap the barrel for the front screw on the scope mount. I didn't check the angle of the scope mount to see if it is perfect or not cause my shop was attacked by a skunk and I don't like spending too much time out there yet. PHEW!!!!!! Hope this helps!

DSC04130_zps83a3ca05.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,281 Posts
Thanks click click, sounds perfect for what I'm wanting.
You're very welcome. I'm glad that I happened to have the parts laying around when you posted.
I'm going to set up a second scout rifle. The savage will be used with the scope and I'm going to setup an old .303 as a brush gun with a T post red dot sight.

Question for ClickClick Boom; did you add a front sight to accomodate the Williams Peep sight?
I didn't have too. My Savage Scout rifle came with a front sight.
This is just a mock up to see if the parts from the Savage Scout would fit the Marlin and they do! Now core has an easier way to convert his X7 to a scout setup.

Any competent gunsmith could add a front sight and it definitely isn't an impossible job to DIY. You can get various front sight bases and front sights from Midway.
The trick would be to figure out the perfect height for the sight.
I'm going to convert an old .303 British Lee Enfield rifle over to a scout rifle myself, but that one will be easy since it already has a front sight and all I have to do is a straight line from rear sight to front sight and then use my calipers to measure the height from the barrel at the place I'm going to cut the barrel to shorten it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope just a lot of patience and bargain shopping, unfortantly due to the incompatibility of the .308 ars I would rather have a different system to have my bush .308.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts