Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first got my Farm I was In the Barn Loft cleaning up a lot of stuff the former owners had left behind. Under a pile of tools and plumbing fixtures I spotted the barrel of a rifle. I dug threw the mess and found a Glenfield Marlin M10. It must have been up in that loft for years. Totally rusted, and moldy. At first glance I thought it was a goner. But I took it out to my gun shop and it sat there for a month. Then one day I decided to strip it down and see if it could possibly be saved. The pitting was bad on the outside but for some reason the bore was pristine. Someone must have run a patch of oil down the barrel before they tossed it up there. I went to work with some 0000 steel wool and WD40. After 3 tries I got most of the rust and pitting off. I then sanded the mold from the stock and used some Minwax Wipe on Poly. I had a 60's era 12x Redfield scope laying around and figured it was the proper glass for the old rifle. I went outside and setup a target at 50 yds. I pulled the bolt and bore sighted it. 3 adjustments on the scope latter I was shooting quarter size bug holes in the paper. Another 2 adjustments and nickel sized clover leafs. What a shooter this old gun is. I own many .22's but this one is my go to rifle for Varmint control on the farm. Many a hole digging groundhog has gotten one in one ear and out the other.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Stevo,
Great you were able to bring the old girl back to life. The reason the bore was not rusty is due to the 22RF ammo having outside lubricated bullets. It leaves a coating in the bore when shooting it. I have read stories of Alaskan camps having all their firearms getting rusty bores, except the 22RF's.
358 Win

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah that explains it. After a few passes with JB's on a bore brush it looked factory fresh. I was amazed.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Nice rifle, happy shootin'.

·
Registered
682 Posts
What a find first of all! Great job of restoring it and bringing it back to life! I would love to find something like that at an Estate or Yard sale and then restore it to it's old glory myself, I pray one day I run across something like this!

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Hey Stevo,

Fine "rescue" job! You did a great job.

Now if they had left a couple of cases of .22 ammo...............LOL!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Great story, and great restoration! Thanks for sharing :tee:

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Truly a feel good story :)

I have been amazed sometimes what some tlc can do for a rifle that often at first glance you have to wonder if it can be salvaged.

·
Premium Member
15,421 Posts
congrats on both the new find and the restoration job

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Good job, if you ever decide to move leave it behind with a note for the next owner to find and enjoy.......the rifle is at home where it belongs :shot:

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
That's the best kind of rifle FREE!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice job bringing her back to life! Glad you got a shooter! Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Very nicely done! John

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Great rescue job you did there, and what a nice find in the first place. I must not live right, nothing like that ever happens to me... ha!
Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Well done!!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What a great find and restoration. May it keep killing varmint's for many more years to come!

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Congrats on the nice find and restoration.:congrats:
And good to hear its a shooter to boot.:tee:

May ye have a lot of good times with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts