Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Isn't! Well boys and girls, I've been working on the newest 1895 Cowboy, hoping to take it as a back up to the Big Hyphen at The Quigley this year. It is proving up to the task. While it had it's MVA #108 on today, here it is in it's chicken killing attire with just the Lyman 66...

View attachment 97345

The ground has still got so much moisture in it that dirt splash is still next to impossible to see. With the temperature, wind, and unfamiliar rifle ballistics, I wasn't sure what was happening out on the 650 yards dinger. Dropped back down on the 400 "head" (18" plate on the left) and got some hits. Eased on over to the "tail" (14" plate on the right) and got a few more. The misses were close and mostly wind related.

View attachment 97346

There has been a one gallon milk jug sitting out there all winter. It was impossible to see in the snow, but now it was glowing in the sunlight. I've been harping on myself to save it for Wet Dog's next visit and let him finish it off. This is what it looked like a couple days ago - it's in the red circle...

View attachment 97347

I got weak and caved in. I'll be forever sorry Wet dog!! Perched that jug on top of the front sight - touched off that 405/14 grains of Unique load - and the rest is history, so they say.

View attachment 97348

It was a tough old jug and I probably wouldn't have attempted such a long kill shot but for the fact the Cowboy was doing so well today.

Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Hey Wind,

That is some sure fine shooting!

Need to get a pair of see "real far" glasses. (you have any dingers for a guy wearing "Mr. MaGoo" spectacles?)

Have six loads for to test, for the 38-55, and four to test in the 45/70. Need to get busy.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hey Mark, sounds like maybe 10x42 binoglasses would do the trick!!! hahahaaa, for me too... :biggrin:

Nice shootin Wind :congrats:....Maybe someday I can get out to the U Pick and bring my 94 & 95 Cowboys, maybe the 94 25-20 too!

Whatcha think Mark?............. Roadtrip :driver: :biggrin:

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
That's some fine lookin lumber on that CB Wind! :tee: (Do you maybe have some better pics of the wood?)

That Bird looks cold, you oughta get some clothes on that bird or get'em in the pot to get heated up!! :eating: :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Hey Ray,

Am ok with the road trip. Figure three or four days driving..............each way. (can only take about 700 miles/day, then I have to get "horizontal") LOL

If we use one of the Crown Vics, figure 20 mpg. 6,000/20 = 300 gallons of gas X $4/gal = $1200.00 for fuel. I "need" about $3,000.00, to feel "comfortable". (flat tires.....etc)

Come on down to the Lever Jubilee, in October. Ridgeway, Pa, is fairly close to Buffalo. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Mark
I see that Ridgeway is approximately 5+ hrs from me... That"s doable!!! Guess I better get building a gun crate and ammo crate, AND load ALOT OF AMMO!!!!???
Any good places to stay down that way? CHEAP!!??? LOL

Us NY'ers.Welcome in them parts?

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Mark
I see that Ridgeway is approximately 5+ hrs from me... That"s doable!!! Guess I better get building a gun crate and ammo crate, AND load ALOT OF AMMO!!!!???
Any good places to stay down that way? CHEAP!!??? LOL

Us NY'ers.Welcome in them parts?
Hey Ray,

Think the "Royal Inn" was $60/night? With a great restaurant! Here is a link to the 2013 activities. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/n...ever-action-jubilee-oct-12-13-ridgway-pa.html

Everyone had a great time, and fun was had by all.

Later, Mark

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
990 Posts
It is a bit odd to see a milk jug wintering over like that. Climate change or just the lone survivor? Its the first week of spring, the milk jugs will soon be in full migratory mode, gitt'n to be about that time of year when they start appearing all over the landscape out at the U-pick ranch. That is a great looking Cowboy you have there Wind.

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Hey Wind,

That is some really fine furniture!

Stalking at that range, would involve a vehicle! LOL (have six, 38-55, and four, 45/70 loads to "test", and a bit of revolver work to do, plus a bit of tree trimming)

Thinking I'll order that MVA #108, with two bases, this week.

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
"The misses were close and mostly wind related".

Had I been shooting, they'd have been "jeff related" - LOL!

Nice job there WIND! Of course, I couldn't a red circle anywhere in that photo. I did see some pretty horses....and your other targets. Just trouble with the color thingy. That furniture is beyond comment, at least beyond my vocabulary. WOW!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Mark, why mess with the trees? Washington would make a great road trip! Steve
Hey Steve,

Would indeed be a fine road trip. If we worked it right (and had any ammo left over) could stop in Wyoming on the way back. To give the WDRA, a try! LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Don't get me started Mark. There are other opportunities to shoot out here. Just so happens to be a shoot in Nebraska just before the WDRA II. Then there are some more here in Wyoming and a few in Montana. The H4 represents the crème de la crème. Steve

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey there guys -- Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff -- "Jeff-related" Now that made me smile! See if this helps locate the little red circle...

View attachment 97384

You'll get your chance in a few months. We'll have plenty of jugs.

Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
16,807 Posts
Hey there guys -- Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff -- "Jeff-related" Now that made me smile! See if this helps locate the little red circle...

View attachment 97384

You'll get your chance in a few months. We'll have plenty of jugs.

Best regards. Wind
Hey Wind,

Will have to see (lol) what eye pieces are on hand for the spotting scope. Being as we are "range" challenged, here abouts, the 20X is in the scope now. Think there may be a 30X, in the box.

So I can "spot", for the cast bullet "artists". LOL

Hope to have a range report, this week. Weather/chores permitting.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Great shootin' Wind! And WOW! What a PURDY rifle.:congrats:

And I'm with Jeff, the "Mop Factor" has it's limitations.

Mop

1 - 20 of 31 Posts