Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We read everyday about the JM stamp. From the almost non existent, to ones in an oval . Left side , right side , even under the forearm.
So show us what ya got. The Good The Bad & The Ugly.
My Best IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0497 (2).JPG My Worst IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0369 (2).JPG

·
Super Moderator
25,768 Posts
I must admit my ignorance... What is the "JM Stamp?"

It's the NH, CT plant proof stamp, JM meaning John Marlin. REP is Illion's proof stamp.

DSC00096_E130%_3.jpg DSC00107_E35%_2.jpg All my Marlins are JM's but I've never taken pics of the JM stamps, and have only two pics that happen to show it.
Click the picture to enlarge and then click the pic a couple more times to zoom.

Jack

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I've got just one Marlin...a 1981 - 336 in 35 Rem....here's my stamp.

redhawk

JM.jpg

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Took these a little while back for another thread. IMG_0774.jpg IMG_0782.jpg IMG_0775.jpg IMG_0776.jpg IMG_0777.jpg IMG_0778.jpg IMG_0779.jpg IMG_0780.jpg IMG_0781.jpg

Most are not complete. One is double stamped. I have seen some that only have part of the circle and a little bit of the "J".

No matter. The JM stamp adds nothing to the function or worth of the rifle.

And yes, I did clean out the gunk in the corner of that bottom picture, once I saw it magnified....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Wow...HIKayaker....that's one ugly double-stamp...the guy that did that must have been drunk from a Holiday party...hahaha

redhawk

Reactions: Boris

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I must admit my ignorance... What is the "JM Stamp?"
JM acceptance stamp is pre-merger with Remington, when it was still "all-Marlin". Considered a mark of better quality. Although some may dispute that.

·
Super Moderator
23,560 Posts
JM acceptance stamp is pre-merger with Remington, when it was still "all-Marlin". Considered a mark of better quality. Although some may dispute that.
I certainly don't dispute it!

Reactions: Boris and cajun56

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I have a 1970 Marlin 1894 saddle ring 44mg in near mint shape. I bought it from original owner and know for a fact it was low round count gun. I never paid attention to JM stamp until I got on forum. I was aware of Remlins but that didn't affect me because I don't buy even JM with safety. My 94 has no JM stamp visable, unless it may be under forearm. I know history of this gun and know it has original barrel. It's very nice gun but not one I can't do without. A guy was wanting to trade for it and wanted it bad and backed out when no JM stamp was on barrel. Up to that point I didn't know it wasn't stamped. Didn't really care since gun is 1970 model. If stamp is not under forearm is there other ways to proove it's original?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
22 Marlins ... well 21 Marlins and one Western Auto 150 (Marlin 60) ...

All JM stamped except the WA 150 ...

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Dang guys some of those look like they were done free hand with an ax.

Reactions: Boris
1 - 20 of 22 Posts