Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a many of articles on the JM proof mark and mostly all them talked about the JM mark that is within an oval.
Is this the only way the JM mark appeared ?

On my 2000 1895M there is JM mark that is not within any oval, it is just plain JM and is stamped on the
left side of the barrel back near the receiver and just above the wood forend. I tried talking a picture of it
shown here.

I am wondering if this is a correct JM proof mark by Marlin

Thanks for any help on this...

JM proof Mark.jpg

·
Registered
953 Posts
That is the correct proof mark. Not all "JM"s had the circle around them. Some of them you couldn't even tell there was a "JM".

Key

Reactions: JB. Books and Yogi

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the same stamp - without the circle - on my 2008 336c- Thank's for the answer Key. Does it mean, that all rifles that do have the JM mark are fine?
That is the correct proof mark. Not all "JM"s had the circle around them. Some of them you couldn't even tell there was a "JM".

Key

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have three Marlins. All "JM" stamped. No oval.

Reactions: JB. Books

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have the same stamp - without the circle - on my 2008 336c- Thank's for the answer Key. Does it mean, that all rifles that do have the JM mark are fine?
There have been a few quality issues when Remington first took over, before moving their operation to NY but nothing like after the move when Remington employees were building the rifles.

Key

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Yep, some of the JM marks are poorly done.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I should post a close up of mine, it looks really funny. In fact it looks like its pitted.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The stamp on my 444 dom 1970 has jm in the circle on the right side, 450 has no circle and is on the left side I can tell they were free hand b/c of how deep and shallow the letters appear

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the proof mark then marked by the Armorers when rifle is completed, or do they place the mark after the barrel is mated to the receiver or
at some other point of the process ? kind of curious as to what point in the manufacturing of the rifle is the proof mark added.

The stamp on my 444 dom 1970 has jm in the circle on the right side, 450 has no circle and is on the left side I can tell they were free hand b/c of how deep and shallow the letters appear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts