Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The "Hammer" is finished!
I bought this NEF .30-06 for $100 at one of the local gunshows. It was starting to speckle with rust and the wood looked as if it had been in someone's tool box. But the bore is pristine so I thought "sure, for $100!"
Took it out and shot it and it has above average accuracy, even for a Handi. If you have ever shot a .30-06 Handi you will know why I named it the "Hammer"!
So... I cleaned it up a bit, had a front sight mounted to go with a Williams peep.
But it will probably spend most of its time with a 4-12X40 AO Tasco on top.
What is on there now is a 6-24X44 AO Tasco target, just to see how that works. Not as well as the 4-12X40
I need to find a non-monte carlo butt stock for the irons, but I may never shoot the irons, they just look nostalgic. I'll keep working the speckling on the barrel, slowly but surely.
Pay no mind to the mess on top of my safe, I am the world's worst slob.....

Automotive design Air gun Motor vehicle Trigger Automotive exterior
Bottle Guitar accessory Sports equipment Shelf Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A $100 -06 that shoots well, you can't beat that

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The "Hammer" is finished!
I bought this NEF .30-06 for $100 at one of the local gunshows. It was starting to speckle with rust and the wood looked as if it had been in someone's tool box. But the bore is pristine so I thought "sure, for $100!"
Took it out and shot it and it has above average accuracy, even for a Handi. If you have ever shot a .30-06 Handi you will know why I named it the "Hammer"!
So... I cleaned it up a bit, had a front sight mounted to go with a Williams peep.
But it will probably spend most of its time with a 4-12X40 AO Tasco on top.
What is on there now is a 6-24X44 AO Tasco target, just to see how that works. Not as well as the 4-12X40
I need to find a non-monte carlo butt stock for the irons, but I may never shoot the irons, they just look nostalgic. I'll keep working the speckling on the barrel, slowly but surely.
Pay no mind to the mess on top of my safe, I am the world's worst slob.....

View attachment 869835 View attachment 869837
Nice acquisition,

I understand the hammer reference. If you suffer from sinus congestion issues, I would suggest getting a box of Remington 220 pills. Put two of those pills through the tube and 100% sinus relief is guaranteed.

Oh, mind the eye relief on the scope as well. It looks like a variable Tasco. I have a few and the eye focal point is not that long. That one will knock you out then require some sutures to close up the 1/2 moon opening it will leave just above you eye, regardless of the bullet weight.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Britton

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pappy!
The scope in that picture isn't going to stay there. I have a 4-12X40 that will stay on that rifle.
And, I already have a scar from an old Weaver that was on my uncle's 8mm!
Probably going to load .30-30 loads in this 06.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am pleasantly pleased as to how nice the rifle turned out, considering how it looked when I got it. It would have made a nice fence post...Except there was that perfect bore.

A quote from Mark Novak, one of my favorite YouTube gunsmiths; " When you buy an old gun you buy the bore. Everything else can be fixed."

True enough about clearing my sinuses! I have had a detached retina in my left eye repaired and I really don't want any more eye troubles. I have 3 .45/70 rifles that don't rattle my cage like this .30-06 does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts