Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took my son who is 4 to the gun show. We went to a friends house and saw his new choc lab pup, then several of us met up for breakfast before the gun show. My son sat there with a smile plastered on his face the whole time, dont think anyone could get a word out of him. after we ate we headed to the show. The prices were a joke at best. But one gun had some toy guns on the table. Guess who spots them. He wants this set with the lone ranger mask, and a pump gun that shoots darts for a total sum of $4.00. So he carries it over and we pay the man.

He wants me to open it so he can wear the "black goggles" I told him we would as soon as we got in the truck. I told him we didnt want to loose any of the parts. He says, you mean those little toilet plungers? Laughing I said yea. Well we have to go find my friend Tom to show him the new gun. So here we go him holding his new gun, smile plastered on his face looking for my friend. several guys made comments about the new gun, he says to one guy. It even has little toilet plungers, but I cant open it here because I dont want to loose them. I thought this guy was gonna wet his pants he was laughing so hard. Well we find Tom and he says, whats ya got there buckaroo? My son says it is Winchester 25-10, with little toilet plungers and black goggles. Some of the other guys were there and we are all laughing, and he just goes right on talking about his new Winchester.

Then my wife tells me today that they had taken my daughter to dance class at our church yesterday after we got back (I was out cutting fire wood) any way he has to take his new gun and show everyone. About the only one who wasnt impressed was the pastors wife. (who cares anyway) Then they stopped at the local Caseys to get gas and my wife ask him if he wants to get some candy with his money that was in his wallet. He says NO mom, I'm saving my money to buy a gun! It must be genetics.

Well he hasnt put this Winchester 25-10 down. He did manage to loose one of his little toilet plungers somewhere in the house. But the little guy is a pretty good shot. Last night I would roll this little ball down the hall and he would shoot at it. He nailed it 4 times in a row. He has pretty much shot up every thing in the house. And now he has this target board he is shooting at, rabbits beware when he gets a 22. It would appear to be the best $4.00 I have spent in a long time.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Big medicine,
Your story reminds me of my childhood when my grandfather bought me Hopalong Cassidy six shooter cap guns with a double holster setup for Christmas! That was probably 54 years ago, I think I was 5 and I still remember it like it was yesterday! A little later he taught me gun safety and how to hunt
Let your little guy have fun with the toys for a while, and then teach him the basics with B-B gun or a small size 22.

A few years ago, I had my neices little boy over to "help" me rake some leaves. He was really too young for much yard work, and the leave really didn't get raked that day,but I had to make him think he worked for the Red Ryder B-B gun I presented him a few hours later when the job was done.
Boy, he really treasures that B-B gun, and shows me his targets every time I see him. The one rule I laid down was he shoots at targets or small cans only. NO glass bottles and NO song birds!
Yours is Great story, I enjoyed the read.

Thanks,

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is really enjoying this gun. Just a little while we had to watch Mega Bucks V so he could shoot all the deer. This 25-10 Winchester is quite the deer rifle :wink: We still have not found the lost "toilet plunger" so he is down to 2 darts. I already have a BB gun put away in the closet for him. I found a Daisy Winchester mod 94 on sale at the Sportsman Guide a while back and ordered it, figured in a few years when he was ready I wouldnt be able to find one. It is right next to his Marlin 25YN, and Mossberg 410 pump :shock:

·
Registered
201 Posts
What a great story Big-Med. It's stories like that that make me wish I had kids. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts