Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
I love golf. And I'll never hit the living crap out of a golf ball like Bubba Watson. Here's a picture of a driver contacting a golf ball at maybe 120mph:
Golf ball compression.jpg
Notice the compression of the perfect sphere. The energy is first absorbed by the ball as a vertical flattening of the ball prior to its tremendous forward launch of 300+ yds. Today I set a golf ball on a target top at 50 yds. The bullet at impact was traveling roughly 980 ft/sec or 668 mph with 86 ft/lbs of energy, all concentrated into 0.22". Holy crap!!!! Before doing anything else, the ball absorbed the energy by expanding. This caused the ball to leap vertically about 8' and it flew 15' behind the target berm. So I pass this on. If you are tired of dinging targets and orange dots, try a golf ball. It is an absolute freaking blast. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I hit one with a 45-70 and found just a very little piece of the core.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
You should see one that is hung from a wire when it's around 10 degrees and gets hit by a .220 Swift cruising along at around 4000 fps. The thing almost vaporizes.

Golf balls are a lot of fun to shoot. I've done it many times.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the golf ball damaged? Was it re-usable as a target after getting some 5.6x15R?
No. The point of entry is much like the point of entry on a white paper target: small hole with gray edges. The point of exit is a very small hole surrounded by nothing.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Oh yeah. Gilf balls are great fun with 22lrs. We used to do this allnthe time at the range behind the shop i used to work at. We even tried playimg a form of 'golf' where you tried to get the ball to move beyond a certain distance with the fewest # of shots, but the rough terrain made that....unfeasible. Great fun though.

The balls we had were just a bucket pf used balls from a drivi g range of mixed mfg, and i didnt pay much attention to which ones lasted and which didnt. But some definately lasted longer than others. Some would get quite chewed up before falling apart, while others seemed to just sort of unravel after one or two shots. Others hopped so high and far that we simply lost them after the first few shots.

I supposed it also has anlot to do with what you hit them with and where you hit them.

GREAT FUN!

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
I'm wondering how to attach the golf ball to the wire? Love to try it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
We shoot golf balls off a bare dirt berm from 110 yds with CZ 452. They are a blast to dual with if you have a pair of shooters. With 22LR a pair of golf balls will last all afternoon. Blackbarry made a perfect description of what happens when you use larger ammo. " Tiny exit hole surrounded by nothing." ROLF

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We shoot golf balls off a bare dirt berm from 110 yds with CZ 452. They are a blast to dual with if you have a pair of shooters. With 22LR a pair of golf balls will last all afternoon. Blackbarry made a perfect description of what happens when you use larger ammo. " Tiny exit hole surrounded by nothing." ROLF
OK. That's my next target for my CZ 455 Varmint. W.... a..... y past the capabilities of my Model 80. But the 80 has superior wood and history.

Can't wait :biggrin:

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
I'm wondering how to attach the golf ball to the wire? Love to try it!
Drill small hole in ball, push tie wire into it. If hole is a little big for your piece of wire, add a dab of super glue to it before you push it in the hole.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I do it all the time. I keep a dozen or so old balls in my range bag.

When I'm at the range shooting my .22, I'll just reach in my bag and toss one out there in front of me.

Naturally, anybody around me that's not looking through a scope when I do that sees the ball land out there on the grass.

Then, I pop the ball and send it flying out about 50 yards or so and suddenly everybody gets the idea.

Better hurry if you want to shoot it again, because suddenly it's a free for all and the ball only sits still for a second or two before somebody pops it.

It's a very fast paced game, lots of fun, good practice, and cheap.

By the time the ball gets out past 75 yards or so, it's not so easy to hit. At 100 yards, it takes a M.O.A. shot to hit it.

So far, nobody has really gotten mad at me for doing that, but I don't make any announcements or anything. I just toss the ball out there and keep shooting.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
golf balls are awesome targets, and I think they are the perfect sized target for 22lr at 25-50 yards, also easy to see. Great all around!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I haven't done that for years. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And today I decided if I could hit it with my 1894 .357. Yup! At 50 yds it gets destroyed with 4-5 shots, but flies 40+ yds into the distance :biggrin:. A 22LR is the preferred round for this target.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts