Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this year I decided I wanted to get back into hunting. I had hunted when I was 15-16 years old with my dad and grandfather but really haven't hunted since. So I went and bought a XS7 .308. i went with the .308 for several reasons,
#1 it was large enough to kill anything I am going to hunt
#2 Very accurate caliber and also uses a .30 caliber round so me and my dad can use alot of the same reloading items because he uses a 30-06.
#3 About half the recoil of a 30-06, so a lot more fun to shoot.

I was originally thinking of a Remington 700 but decided to start out with a budget gun first to make sure I was still going to enjoy it and stick with it. I did some research and read a lot customer reviews on the XS7 and decided to get one. I must say I am extremely impressed with this rifle. After shooting with it I do not regret buying it over the Remi 700.

We have seen alot of doe's and button bucks this year so I really haven't been able to shoot a deer with it yet, until today. Here is the first victim of my XS7 ( The Dispatcher ).

He was walking away from me when I shot him, and he turned sightly to the left giving me a perfect view of the left shoulder. I launched a Federal GMM 168 grain HP and hit him right behind the front shoulder and ripped apart his lungs and heart then exited right under his right shoulder (seen below). He flinched but did not go down, then took off running. I was starting to think I missed the way he took off, so I got down from the stand and walked over where I shot at him at and started looking for blood. I first found a small drop so I at least knew I hit him, then I walked about 5 feet and started finding alot of blood. About 15 feet and the ground was almost red from the amount of blood. Then I saw him, about 20 yards from where I shot him. He lived a total of about 30 seconds after I shot him because by the time I walked over to him he was completely dead, no twitching, no breathing, nothing.. Just dead.

And here is a photo of my prize.. Not the biggest deer, but its mine and my rifles first.

We do have a nice 6 point walking around where we are hunting so I am just waiting for him to step out so I can put him on the dinner table also. :)

- Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
15,893 Posts
Venison - It's what's for Dinner! Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the great Pacific Northwest - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! Nice deer and a nice rifle! John

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Welcome from Georgia. Nice buck you have there and will provide some good eating. Hope to see more post from you. What part of Florida (I'm assuming about location) you call home?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Welcome from South Florida! Nice Buck!

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
welcome from Tennessee.
Congrats on your 1st deer.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!! Very nice Deer congrats on your first Deer with your new rifle!!!

·
Premium Member
6,507 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!! Nice buck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome from Georgia. Nice buck you have there and will provide some good eating. Hope to see more post from you. What part of Florida (I'm assuming about location) you call home?
I am from Jacksonville..

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone..

Everyone in my family is drooling for some deer jerky so I imagine a lot of it will go to that.. So it will be gone within a day or so.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I've read all through the OP twice an haven't been able to identify where the "FNG" from the title fits in. :questionmark::questionmark:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I am new to the forums.. So I figured I was a FNG..

Now I just need to go out and find that bucks daddy and put him in the freezer also... We have pics of a 6 point running around where we are hunting so we just need him to step out for about 3 seconds so my .308 can say HI....

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Welcome to MO fromt the Great State of Idaho! Nice first buck with the XS7!:congrats:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts