Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Despite Ron Swanson claiming fish meat is almost a vegetable, I love it. Salmon an hour ago, maybe Trout tomorrow....

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I haven't even taken the fly rod out yet this year. :(

Gotta change that.

Guy
gotta change that Guy! I went fly fishing in Florida a few weeks ago, not for trout. It was the first time in 7-8 yrs for me. Way too long, such an enjoyable way to spend a day. the winds were 15-20 and I still had fun! and caught some fish. but trout fishing used to be my favorite hobby before kids, just never seen a golden.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I haven't even taken the fly rod out yet this year. :(

Gotta change that.

Guy
Back when I was younger, I'd go into Torrington, Wyoming and ease on over to Pioneer Park on the north bank of the North Platte River. My reel was a Zebco 202 and I'd put a nightcrawler on the hook & hold it down with a big, flat sinker. Sooner or later either a trout of some kind or a carp would bite on it. Either one was good enough. The water was clean enough the carp didn't taste muddy and there was more meat on the carp. Spuds, onions, jalapenos and fish fried in bacon grease was plenty good fare.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
I haven't been wade fishing the VA rivers since I returned from Afghanistan during 2014. The reloading bug bit me hard in early 2015 and I have been doing a lot of that instead. I need to get back into the habit as the Rappahannock River is only 3/4 of a mile from the house. Thanks of the pics!

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Haven't trout fished since 2013 when I was in Little Rock, only an hour from the Little Red River. Used to have the world record brown trout of 42 lbs caught out of there below the dam. In the lake (Greers Ferry) it held the world record for Hybrid Stripper and Walleye. All three records from the same tributary. The White river has some awesome trout in it too.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
A couple of Salmon I picked up on the Siuslaw River near Florence, Oregon. Note the teeth marks on the tail of one fish. A seal decided it wanted that fish and grabbed it just after I set the hook. He ribbed off a lot of line before I got control. In those situations the seal usually is the winner! I got lucky! :D

CJ

Fish Fishing Recreation Fish Cod

·
Registered
243 Posts
3 of us got out on Lake Huron the other day for some Lake Trout to fill up the smoker

The Lake Trout are feeding heavy on Round Goby in ~130 ft of water, 6 miles off shore, the Goby are an Invasive Species to the Great Lakes.
The big Laker in the picture is around 20 pounds, there was a 29 pound one entered in the Derby last week.

Reactions: Ranger357v

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Boy bringing them in from that deep would think it would bulge their eyes and bloat them more.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
A couple of Salmon I picked up on the Siuslaw River near Florence, Oregon. Note the teeth marks on the tail of one fish. A seal decided it wanted that fish and grabbed it just after I set the hook. He ribbed off a lot of line before I got control. In those situations the seal usually is the winner! I got lucky! :D

CJ

View attachment 711658
I've been steel head fishing there and the Umpquaw.

Reactions: Cascade Jinx

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got the one on the right but what is the orangish fish?
Hey Guvna - you are correct. This trout was developed by the WV DNR. Back in the 195O's a rainbow trout was noticed with flecks of yellow. They were able to "breed back" that fish with each successive generation having more yellow until they had all-yellow trout. They were first stocked in 1963 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of WV statehood, and have been shared with other states. They are easier to spot in the streams than regular rainbows, brooks, or browns - but doesn't mean they're easier to catch!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.