Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was an engineer on a research vessel a couple of hundred miles east from Virginia. There was a shipping container poking out of the water. The hard corner of the container was just poking out of the water - a real shipping hazard.

The captain broke open the firearm's safe. AR15s,.22's, and sort of guns brought aboard were stored in the ship's armory. Upon seeing the navigation hazard the armory was opened and we pulled up to the container at a range of about 100 yards.

My gun for that trip was an 1880's Martini carbine in mint condition, bright bore in .303 British. A 'blastathon' ensued and the century + old carbine roared in path of our firing, at least 100 rounds into the container.

Suddenly some hot shot Navy hot Shot 'Top Gun Pilots' blew between the ship and the container directly in the line of fired. Immediately the pilots who'd already hit the afterburners flew straight up and immediately they called us on the marine VHS radio to "advise us they were 'going to do a fly by' . We never heard if the jets were were hit or not. If not they were some luck dudes!

I can imagine the mechanics finding a .303 British slug in the airframe?!

True story, AC

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If we knew we could call them on the VFH it would have been even more fun. Never thought they might have been sent out there for to do the mission for a couple of million US tax dollars to do the deed we did for less than $100.

AC

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm surprised the Coast Guard ('77-'83 Semper Paratus) hadn't already called. Definitely a nav hazard. Did you manage to sink it or call it in? Not to mention the vessel that happened to lose a shipping container. "Hey Gus, how many containers were on the manifest??"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts