Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was moving things around to make room in my safe, and as I was sorting through I was surprised at the number of Marlin rimfires I had accumulated. I love shooting 22's, and these are about a quarter of what I have in rimfires, but put together, make a very nice grouping. Almost wish I had a safe way to leave them out where I could appreciate them

From left to right:
39 Mountie (1959)
39 Carbine (1966)
39M Octagon (1973)
Golden 39M (1982)
Golden 39M
1897 Texan

1894M (22 mag) (1983)

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Nice looking collection:congrats:...I am green with envy. Some day I'll own a 39...

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey Greg,

Fine looking stable of 39's!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
198 Posts
Beautiful. I like the classic, sleek look of straight stocks, too, and the way they encourage your forward hand to control the rifle.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Nice rifles, happy shootin'.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very nice, picked up my first straight stock the other day....I caught the fever

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Wicked Purty!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
All I can say is "WOW"!

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Very nice sure hope you have ammo enough to take em to the dance.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
beautiful! thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A couple people have asked about the Texan. It's actually one I recently acquired in a trade (NIB) and haven't shot yet, but I'll try to answer the question about forward weight.

Now, I don't have a very accurate scale. but standing three similar rifles - the Texan, a Golden 39M, and a 39M Octagon - on a bathroom scale, all three hit at just over five pounds. I think the only difference I note when shouldering them is in FEEL. By that I mean that when shouldering the Texan, it feels a bit muzzle heavy. BUT, I don't think it's the actual weight distribution, but rather hand placement on the forearm.

As you can see in the following photos, the forearm of the 1897 is several inches shorter than on my other 39's, so your hand placement on the forearm is not as far forward, which means there's a perceived feeling of more weight out front.

For comparison purposes, here's a photo of the three example rifles, with the Texan at the bottom, the 39M Octagon on top of it, then the Golden 39M at the top. You can see that the two 39's have almost identical length forearms, while the Texan is about 2-3/4" shorter. The second and third photos just give additional perspective.

·
Registered
920 Posts
SWEEEEEEEEEET Widow

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Nice collection, thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts