Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two summers of work and a heck of a lot of work in lugging and cutting logs but the result is a nice payoff:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I once lived in a place that wasn't that fancy and definitely didn't have that view! Too cool. Wicked cool.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
That's special. Having family there makes it, period. I'm green with envy.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ED said:
Wow...like them fancy windows :D
You had to notice! :p Okay, it's not quite complete but we'll be able to stay there this winter - and those fancy windows will be clearer and a bit more resistant to "stuff." The one thing I can say in defense of "visqueen" is the fact that it is very easy to repair......and that's exactly what we did when we arrived on Saturday as the plastic on two of the windows was gone and was subsequently discovered with a few holes which were easily determined to be bear claw holes, a sow and a cub(s) apparently judging from the two patterns - patterns which were also visible on the logs.

Anecdotally it seems rather interesting that these bears apparently didn't like the smell of human presence enough to crawl in for some of the few food remnants we had left inside. The only thing they took was a roll of tissue (that's how we figured it was a sow :twisted: ) - they never went inside.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.......and thanks for the nice comments, guys!

One thing I didn't mention, and probably shouldn't 'cause it could kill certain loggers, is the fact that the logs are all three sided which means they had to be split and edged. (That is done because enough good logs to build a structure this size are tough to gather as these are all drift logs that have come off the Yukon and wash up on shore.) The consequent wood has grit imbedded and is salt soaked - it's a bit tough on saw chains. And here's the kicker, the saw - yeah, that's singular- the saw was one of those little Poulan backyard models, a 2150 I think, with a 16" bar. And it still runs good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Golsovia..do you really live in Russia?

Just kidding about the windows. I'd leave to live in a cabin like that today if the opportunity arose...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ED said:
Golsovia..do you really live in Russia?

Just kidding about the windows. I'd leave to live in a cabin like that today if the opportunity arose...

You just never quit do you? :lol: Listen comrade, we know how to handle guys like you. Actually, here in Alaska (yes, we are a ways off the Russian coast) the fellows with TSA will take care of "handling" you - they seem to enjoy that kind of thing. And sorry, you can't get here without going through them, it's air all the way unless you want to venture around the Gulf of Alaska (seas to 40-50-60 feet) and then the Bering Sea in your skiff! YEEEHAH! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I entered the latitude and longitude, from your location, into a search and it came up as Russia...

I love Alaska...drove there in 2002 and stayed wtih friends in North Pole. I would've stayed there permanently but a family member took ill and I had to come back.

I really do love that cabin...I am very much a minimalist. Probably be too much space fer me :D

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Some beautiful work Golsovia..now is the time to enjoy it ! Do you have any panning rights...or is there no point in panning in that particular location ?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. This location is right on the sea coast but even the rivers locally don't pay as well as Burger King - though we don't actually have them either :D . This is a real nice spot or fishing though as a variety of salmon species stop to rest in the shelter of the cove. We've been enjoying some cozy weekends in the cabin even when the mercury is down in the tube.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
When I looked at your first photo I was sure wondering where the heck you got your logs! It looked pretty barren.

So, how far did you have to go afield to get your construction materials? How about firewood? I'll bet if you are burning driftwood, you have to let it cure for a couple of your summers before it's much good. Do you have much trouble with the 2 legged variety of "visitors", when you're not around, using up your fuel and messing up the place?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We are at the mercy of the tides and wind for our logs. Mostly they come down the Yukon river (and it is treeless until you get about 500 miles upriver) so, yeah, it isn't like going down to Home Depot. Most of the logs are gathered by boat from the beaches with some being hauled by sled in winter. Either way it's a lot of work but worth it after the fact. I sure enjoy being able to get away. At only an hour by boat or by snowmachine, it is neither too far to do easily even with small kids nor too close not to be "away." We do have some two-legged visitors but most are pretty respectful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts