Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts
What is interesting is that I have often heard the local Ojibwe mention the 30-06 with a scope as the one rifle they buy. While you cannot generalize and say they all use one it seems to be kind of their go to recommendation. Due to treaty rights they can shoot moose and elk on the Reservations, mostly moose as we do not have a lot of elk. When you think of the choice it does make sense. Ammunition is readily available and inexpensive compared to many other cartridges. Rifle will handle about anything you want to shoot.
I had a 270 for a while, and it definitely worked on deer. But it was a bit much. I hunt deer and the ranges are fairly close. It tended to tear up a lot of venison. Anyway, the 06 is a little more rifle than I like to shoot, but it would be a good one for a larger variety of game than I hunt. Often thought, if I were smart, I would get a good 308 Winchester which is a very similar cartridge and very popular in MN. An individual that hunts deer on public land across the road from my house uses a BAR in 300 WM. He mentioned that he had bought a light weight little 30-06 for his teen age son to hunt with. My thought was that that light weight little 06 is not a kid's gun and could kick the snot out of the kid and would be a bit of a challenge to shoot for him. Does show an attitude of the magnum fanatics.

DEP

What is interesting is that I have often heard the local Ojibwe mention the 30-06 with a scope as the one rifle they buy. While you cannot generalize and say they all use one it seems to be kind of their go to recommendation. Due to treaty rights they can shoot moose and elk on the Reservations, mostly moose as we do not have a lot of elk. When you think of the choice it does make sense. Ammunition is readily available and inexpensive compared to many other cartridges. Rifle will handle about anything you want to shoot.
I had a 270 for a while, and it definitely worked on deer. But it was a bit much. I hunt deer and the ranges are fairly close. It tended to tear up a lot of venison. Anyway, the 06 is a little more rifle than I like to shoot, but it would be a good one for a larger variety of game than I hunt. Often thought, if I were smart, I would get a good 308 Winchester which is a very similar cartridge and very popular in MN. An individual that hunts deer on public land across the road from my house uses a BAR in 300 WM. He mentioned that he had bought a light weight little 30-06 for his teen age son to hunt with. My thought was that that light weight little 06 is not a kid's gun and could kick the snot out of the kid and would be a bit of a challenge to shoot for him. Does show an attitude of the magnum fanatics.

DEP
When in the Army we had a DI who would fire a M14 with butt on his forehead and nose. He did this to lesson boots fear of recoil. Some of us were drawing rifles from Special Services to plink and hunt with. One guy who lived off base bought a Rem 788 in 308 at a Pawn. We would go up to White Sands and shot on weekends. The guy with 788 was complaining about recoil. ( unlimited free Govt 7.62 ammo, I might add ) Anyway another guy was calling him a sissy and proceeded to touch one off using his face like the DI with M14. If you every see a guy wearing his nose holes under his ear holes that’s him. I’ve got a Pre 64 FW m70 in 308 that kicks like a mule.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I only have one hunting rifle and it's a No 1. Ruger No 1 in 30-06.
That's pretty cool. :) I've got a couple of Ruger Number One rifles - and I think one is going to be in one of Ultimate Reloaders videos & articles soon. They're wonderful hunting rifles.

Regards, Guy

My boy has a 721 Remington that I used for a truck gun for 25yrs. A 30/06 with Lyman 48 sight. I shoot a boatload of critters with it over the years. Boy had to have it and his FIL talked him in to scoping it. Still a good shooting rifle.
There is a Ruger #1 in 450/400 Nitro for sale by former member. I was going to buy it. Then realized I can’t use in Ohio, it’s necked. Still causing my buying finger to tremble every time I go past it. Gun, dies , brass- very reasonable. I don’t know if I can stand it........

Like OldSkool I swear buy Sierra 165 BTHP GK, I use 57.5 grains of IMR 4350 and just acquired a Browning X Bolt hunter 30-06 this summer. I abandoned the 30-06 for bigger/better/faster probably 25 years ago. It all started with an old 1917 Enfield dad gave me when I was 16. I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

I am new at being old and these last couple years it really started to become my favorite again. It started with a Tikka stainless, then I found a new in box Remington 700 ADL made in 1981 at an estate sale. Now the X Bolt. It is my most "shot" cartridge currently I have a ton of loading supplies for it. I plan to use it on all my deer and elk hunt this year. what a classic!

I believe Jack O’Connor once wrote, that if you couldn’t go in the woods with a 30/30 and come out with a deer, you had no business in the woods. That goes for any critter you are going to encounter in North America in relation to a 30/06. If it walks, crawls or flies- hit with the 06, it dies.

@M700 Awesome pics and interview Guy! My first gun was my great grandfathers 30-06 Remington Pump. He took many dear with that gun. I have passed it along to my oldest son. I miss it dearly. Sadly, my lever gun affliction has taken priority over another 30-06. This thread reminds me of things that I still need. 30-06 is the most versatile round in my book. My favorite White Tail round for Maine is the 35 Remington. Both tried and true.

Another use of the 06 that has not been mentioned, but is a valid one is its affinity for cast bullets. Frank Marshall like one for cast bullet competition. The 220 grain Lyman 284 mold is said to be especially good for one. Most claim that it is not all that fussy when using cast. I have almost bought one for that use but am not as ambitious to do the casting anymore. I have taken deer with cast in a 303 British and a 30-30 so I see not reason they would not work. I suspect it is more cast friendly than a 308. A 208 grain cast in my 303 whistled right through a deer as did those out of my 30-30.

DEP

In my 6.5 CM I have used the Hornady GMX monoliths with success. Read the claims on them and the MNDNR does not require them but requests that we use lead free bullets. Just for grins and chuckles I thought I would try them. If you like to eat what you shoot they are great. No lead fragmentation whatsoever. They also tend to retain weight. The weight loss is that of the plastic nose insert. In your 06 a 150 grain Barnes or GMX would be as effective as the 165 grain lead based bullets due to that. A 165 monolith would be faster than a 180, shoot flatter and give the same penetration. I use the 120 grain in my 6.5 and they will do everything the 140 grain lead does performance wise, without the lead fragmentation in the meat and are flatter shooting. The big plus is that they whistle through bone without breaking up. Being older and lazier I like to bust shoulders. 30-06 works at velocities where the monoliths work great. For the bigger stuff you might like them.

DEP

Discussion starter · #37 ·
In my 6.5 CM I have used the Hornady GMX monoliths with success. Read the claims on them and the MNDNR does not require them but requests that we use lead free bullets. Just for grins and chuckles I thought I would try them. If you like to eat what you shoot they are great. No lead fragmentation whatsoever. They also tend to retain weight. The weight loss is that of the plastic nose insert. In your 06 a 150 grain Barnes or GMX would be as effective as the 165 grain lead based bullets due to that. A 165 monolith would be faster than a 180, shoot flatter and give the same penetration. I use the 120 grain in my 6.5 and they will do everything the 140 grain lead does performance wise, without the lead fragmentation in the meat and are flatter shooting. The big plus is that they whistle through bone without breaking up. Being older and lazier I like to bust shoulders. 30-06 works at velocities where the monoliths work great. For the bigger stuff you might like them.

DEP

DEP
Yup - I've used Barnes TSX bullets in my 25-06, and seriously considered using Nosler 168 grain E-Tips (no lead) for my big-game hunting, like bear and elk, with the 30-06... I bought several boxes and considered them for the grizzly hunt... I think they would have done very nicely.

Guy

Great write up. I love reading hunting stories.

I am definitely in the '06 is boring crowd. Don't get me wrong, I've hunted with one, off and on, for over 35 years. However, it is definitely the most sold cartridge of all the rifles I've owned.

I find the '06 is over powered for most game, except elk, bears, moose and maybe some big Maine whitetail. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm a power junkie for sure. My favorite cartridges are 338 WinMag and 444 Marlin.

One very big turn-off for me is the "30-06 or nothing", 308 bashing fanatics . "I don't need anything else. Only one gun..." Dear Lord, how boring is only one gun! My eyes glaze over and I start to nod off when I hear the 308 Win is cruelly under powered. It's only about 100 ft./s slower guys. If 100 ft./s is cruelly under powered, then the '06 is cruelly under powered compared to the 300 WinMag...

It goes against my personal hunting ethics to shoot big game much over 400 yards. The '06 does show its velocity advantage starting at about 300 yards over the 308, but if I really need knockdown power at long range I'll take the 338 WinMag.

While I might hunt big bears with a 308, I would certainly pick the '06 over it for protection. In fact I would (and have) picked 444 Marlin over the '06 for protection.

I compare the 30-06 to beef steak. While a thick ribeye on the grill is great, I also like elk, bison, deer meat, antelope, etc on the grill, too. Variety is the spice of life.

I apologize for raining on the parade.

[Snip]

One very big turn-off for me is the "30-06 or nothing", 308 bashing fanatics . "I don't need anything else. Only one gun..." Dear Lord, how boring is only one gun! My eyes glaze over and I start to nod off when I hear the 308 Win is cruelly under powered. It's only about 100 ft./s slower guys. If 100 ft./s is cruelly under powered, then the '06 is cruelly under powered compared to the 300 WinMag...

[Snip]

I compare the 30-06 to beef steak. While a thick ribeye on the grill is great, I also like elk, bison, deer meat, antelope, etc on the grill, too. Variety is the spice of life.

I apologize for raining on the parade.
I only have one hunting rifle, and yes, it's a 30-06, see post #28, but I'm also annoyed by these same things as @Darkcloud. There's room for everyone at the table. Don't tear down other gun models, cartridges, whatever to justify your choices. Don't tell me I picked wrong. We pick the things we pick for all sorts of reasons. My personal favorite reason is "it just makes me smile." Just my opinion. As the saying goes, your mileage my vary.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts