Marlin Firearms Forum banner

The Boring 30-06

8K views 91 replies 44 participants last post by  scorpio 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Well written and interesting article. I don't handload, but the .30-06 is my go to for rifle hunting. I hunted for many years with an inherited 1950s vintage Mannlicher-Schönauer with a 70 vintage Weaker K4 in a Paul Jaeger QD mount. I retired that rifle years ago to preserve it for my son (he'll be its 3rd generation owner) and replaced it with a Ruger M77 stainless steel in a boat paddle stock. I hunted deer with that until recently when that went to my son and now I have an X-Bolt as its primary replacement. Just about everything I've ever killed with a .30-06 fell to a run of the mill Remington 150 grain Core Lokt or Federal Hi-Shok, from deep woods to bean-field deer, and Maine black bears. I've never lost an animal after being hit with a .30-06, and rarely had to make a second shot. Moreover, I've never recovered a bullet from an animal I've shot with a .30-06. They've all passed through.

If one were new to hunting, I'd recommend 3 guns to get them through a lifetime of hunting anything in North America. A scoped .22 LR, a pump 12 gauge with choke tubes, and a bolt action .30-06. That's the meat. Anything else in addition to that is just gravy.

Long live the .30-06!

#17 ·
. . . If one were new to hunting, I'd recommend 3 guns to get them through a lifetime of hunting anything in North America. A scoped .22 LR, a pump 12 gauge with choke tubes, and a bolt action .30-06. That's the meat. Anything else in addition to that is just gravy.
That’s so very true - just don’t tell my wife. 😉

#5 ·
for decades i used 4895 in my 30-06 rifles because the military used it in there match ammo. it works well and is accurate. but about 10 years ago i switched to 4350 and it is the powder for me now in the 06, and good video!

#6 ·
Good write-up, thanks for sharing! I've always used H4350 in my 30-06. I'll be switching over to Sta-Ball 6.5 real soon, due to the lack of availability of H4350.

#8 ·
The 30/06 is the perfect all around rifle. I had many of them and shot many rounds through them. My standard load for my Win pre 64 model 70s was Jack O’Connors pet load of 57.0 gr of IMR-4350 & 150gr bullet. It never failed to shoot in any bolt action that I owned.
I only have two 30/06 left. A pre64 M-70 and a 1895 Win. The 1895 is old gun and design calls to keep pressure down 45000 or less. Still use 49.5gr of IMR-4350 with 170gr RN for hunting. The Rem 170gr bullet was dropped years ago. I hoard them for hunting deer. I shoot my 1895 a lot using Match brass and pulled bullets from 30/40 Krag.
If I was in the famous “ if you could only have one” predicament, it would be a good bolt action 06.
Product Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#10 · (Edited)
my favorite bullet for the 06 and 308 is a sierra 165gr. GK BTHP they are absolutely devastating on SC deer. one afternoon i was in a box stand, my brother was in the woods. at almost dark a deer came out on a 500yd shooting lane. it was so late i thought he was further away than he was. i did not know if it was a buck or doe, didn't matter we were after meat. i put the cross wires on him and the 06 roared. i got down and my brother came to me. he said where was the deer? i said about 200yds. we looked and nothing, he said are you sure he wasn't closer, i said no. he walked back about 100yds. he said he was here. i said no he was further down. he said come look at this and tell me he wasn't standing here! i went and looked and it looked like a murder scene! there was blood in a 6ft. circle! the deer ran in a pine field, there was so much blood you could walk fast or run and keep up with the trail! we found a 6 point buck at the end of it. i have shot those bullets ever since. once i shot another 6 point at 100yds, with a 308, he ran 60yds through water and there was blood sprayed on bushes and even on top of the water!

#11 ·
The 30-06 is a great cartridge that will completely satisfy the needs of any hunter across the world for 90% of big game hunting.

I’ve loaded (including some cast bullets) for friends and relatives, since the late ‘70’s.....but, never owned my own 30-06 until several years ago. I immediately loaded a few rounds for it.....and put it away. If someone (friend or family) finds themselves in need of a loaner for the hunting season....it would be available. Nutt’n wrong with the ‘06, I’ll just continue to use the same ole rifle/cartridge that I’ve used since 1990. I’ll probably go to my grave never having killed anything with the 30-06 Springfield! memtb

#13 ·
I am down to a '52 Rem Mod 721 in 30-06, gave my Marlin XL7W 30-06 to sonny boy. That old Remmy is staying with me--I use IMR-4064 and a 165 gr Hornady Interlock SP for my hunting. Ya need to man up when shooting my '06 since the original aluminum butt plate has not been replaced by a modern recoil pad.

#15 ·
This was probably 15y -20yrs ago. Buddy bought his at a Gander Mountain near Little Washington Pa.
I had a 405 for a few months. Just wasn’t “real” and I traded it off. I never ran into a good deal on a nice 405. I will have to admit the new 1895s most likely are stronger, better steel. Buddies shoots good too.
I shot a lot of running doubles on deer with my 95. Also shot a triple on deer and one on wild hog with it. Gun fits me perfect. It swings like a fine shot gun and action feels like it’s on bearings. I really ain’t sporting to use, it don’t miss.

#16 ·
The 06 is awesome. Period. I LOL when when people think the 45/70 is the T-Rex slayer. Look I love my big bores but math don’t lie. People don’t understand energy, weight and diameter allow deeper penetration. The ‘06 will live a long time. As for T-Rex give me an M-1 with 180 grain pill.
Boy nice 95’s.

#18 ·
30-06 is a caliber that I grab to go hunting as ammo (before the shortages) could be found anywhere. You want to use a caliber that is popular especially if you are going on an out of town hunt in case you lose your ammo. Exotic calibers will not be stocked by the average gun shop.

#19 ·
Nice article on my favorite caliber too Guy! Killed more deer with the 30-06 than any other and if I had to pick, IT would be the one! So far have only used factory ammo, but recently got the components to start rollin' my own...just need to take the time to do it!

#20 ·
I've always said if I was only going to have one centerfire rifle, it would be a .30-06
due to it's versatility and normally available ammo

#21 ·

#22 ·

#23 ·

#24 ·
What is interesting is that I have often heard the local Ojibwe mention the 30-06 with a scope as the one rifle they buy. While you cannot generalize and say they all use one it seems to be kind of their go to recommendation. Due to treaty rights they can shoot moose and elk on the Reservations, mostly moose as we do not have a lot of elk. When you think of the choice it does make sense. Ammunition is readily available and inexpensive compared to many other cartridges. Rifle will handle about anything you want to shoot.
I had a 270 for a while, and it definitely worked on deer. But it was a bit much. I hunt deer and the ranges are fairly close. It tended to tear up a lot of venison. Anyway, the 06 is a little more rifle than I like to shoot, but it would be a good one for a larger variety of game than I hunt. Often thought, if I were smart, I would get a good 308 Winchester which is a very similar cartridge and very popular in MN. An individual that hunts deer on public land across the road from my house uses a BAR in 300 WM. He mentioned that he had bought a light weight little 30-06 for his teen age son to hunt with. My thought was that that light weight little 06 is not a kid's gun and could kick the snot out of the kid and would be a bit of a challenge to shoot for him. Does show an attitude of the magnum fanatics.

DEP

#26 ·
What is interesting is that I have often heard the local Ojibwe mention the 30-06 with a scope as the one rifle they buy. While you cannot generalize and say they all use one it seems to be kind of their go to recommendation. Due to treaty rights they can shoot moose and elk on the Reservations, mostly moose as we do not have a lot of elk. When you think of the choice it does make sense. Ammunition is readily available and inexpensive compared to many other cartridges. Rifle will handle about anything you want to shoot.
I had a 270 for a while, and it definitely worked on deer. But it was a bit much. I hunt deer and the ranges are fairly close. It tended to tear up a lot of venison. Anyway, the 06 is a little more rifle than I like to shoot, but it would be a good one for a larger variety of game than I hunt. Often thought, if I were smart, I would get a good 308 Winchester which is a very similar cartridge and very popular in MN. An individual that hunts deer on public land across the road from my house uses a BAR in 300 WM. He mentioned that he had bought a light weight little 30-06 for his teen age son to hunt with. My thought was that that light weight little 06 is not a kid's gun and could kick the snot out of the kid and would be a bit of a challenge to shoot for him. Does show an attitude of the magnum fanatics.

DEP
When in the Army we had a DI who would fire a M14 with butt on his forehead and nose. He did this to lesson boots fear of recoil. Some of us were drawing rifles from Special Services to plink and hunt with. One guy who lived off base bought a Rem 788 in 308 at a Pawn. We would go up to White Sands and shot on weekends. The guy with 788 was complaining about recoil. ( unlimited free Govt 7.62 ammo, I might add ) Anyway another guy was calling him a sissy and proceeded to touch one off using his face like the DI with M14. If you every see a guy wearing his nose holes under his ear holes that’s him. I’ve got a Pre 64 FW m70 in 308 that kicks like a mule.

#30 ·
My boy has a 721 Remington that I used for a truck gun for 25yrs. A 30/06 with Lyman 48 sight. I shoot a boatload of critters with it over the years. Boy had to have it and his FIL talked him in to scoping it. Still a good shooting rifle.
There is a Ruger #1 in 450/400 Nitro for sale by former member. I was going to buy it. Then realized I can’t use in Ohio, it’s necked. Still causing my buying finger to tremble every time I go past it. Gun, dies , brass- very reasonable. I don’t know if I can stand it........

#31 ·
Like OldSkool I swear buy Sierra 165 BTHP GK, I use 57.5 grains of IMR 4350 and just acquired a Browning X Bolt hunter 30-06 this summer. I abandoned the 30-06 for bigger/better/faster probably 25 years ago. It all started with an old 1917 Enfield dad gave me when I was 16. I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

I am new at being old and these last couple years it really started to become my favorite again. It started with a Tikka stainless, then I found a new in box Remington 700 ADL made in 1981 at an estate sale. Now the X Bolt. It is my most "shot" cartridge currently I have a ton of loading supplies for it. I plan to use it on all my deer and elk hunt this year. what a classic!