Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an end-of-the-world, kind of book, where most people have died in a modern plague.

350 pages, 120,000 words and it took me 17 weekends to write. Mostly I did not do anything else, on my weekends but write. Now it is in the editing phase so will inevitably get longer as I find and flesh-out, parts that are too vague or needed some foreshadowing or whatever.

Since I set it in the woods around my hometown, there is a lot of hunting, trapping and fishing. Marlin firearms feature prominently :) All of the .22s used in the book are pre-Remington Marlins and the deer rifle is a Marlin .44 lever action.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking forward to reading more about it.

BTW, love your hometown. One of my favorite little towns in the country. Was talking with Rowdy about it not that long ago.
Well now I'll try to make it famous in a book :)

It will be available on the Kindle or Kindle app, when I am finished editing.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Working title?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"The Blacks"

Like "The Waltons", only darker. The heroine's last name is Queen so she and her daughters will become the Black-Queens. Might have to take part of the story in an even darker direction.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Congratulations, I hope the editing process goes well. I have been thinking of writing a book myself more and more lately and I have to say reading your post is making me want to really sit down and make the time commitment, so thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Very good stuff. That takes a lot perserverance (17 weekends) and a lot work. Good on you! Looking forward to reading and seeing the marlins in it.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congratulations, I hope the editing process goes well. I have been thinking of writing a book myself more and more lately and I have to say reading your post is making me want to really sit down and make the time commitment, so thanks for the inspiration.
I wrote a short book for my niece, last Christmas. It took about a month or so and the hardest thing, once I got going, was stopping! It wanted to keep writing itself!

6-12 hours a day, when I wrote this one (on the days I was actually writing, which came out to about 1.5 days a week). I think Jackie Collins was on Oprah, when I was a kid (and Oprah was fat). Whoever the woman was who wrote tons of romance novels. She said "If you wrote one or two pages a day, you would put out a 300 page book every five months." That made me think I could do it!!

I would drape a heating pad on my back to keep my shoulders from hurting. Apparently I hunch up or something. Freaking OW!

Reactions: Six Pac Mac

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Published on Saturday :)

There is a 2-chapter preview of the next book, at the end. The first death occurs 11 pages in so you know it's a good summer read. This second book will have an enemy more along the lines of a person, rather than just struggling against the elements. The main character's name is... Jed Black. LOL!

I eliminated all sex scenes so the book can be read by anyone from junior high on up, probably :)

If you are on a diet, this is not a good book for you. The characters eat well (and often) in this post-apocalyptic world.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
So that's where you've been hiding! Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I'm about 12% of the way done with the next book ;-) So far (just did the math) anyone who meets the main character has about a 1-in-3 chance of being killed. 3-out-of-10 of the new characters "didn't make it". :)

The most recent one took a 12 gauge slug to the chest at about ten feet and the slug passed through him and all but removed the arm of the guy behind him. Stumpy (doesn't have a name) survives but is destined to be the antagonist throughout the rest of the book.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Congratulations.
I've always wanted to write a book. I actually started one a couple years ago and got to chapter 2. Every now and then I open the file but don't think I have the ability to finish it. Some day, maybe.
Would love to read yours.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, very much!

I set a goal of writing 5,000 words a day.

Do you already have an ending to the book? Very early on, I knew where the book had to go and essentially filled the intervening pages with the problems that naturally came up :) That helped a lot. Also making characters out of people you know helps tremendously! It gives the person a character and personality and a "voice" that you can sort of hear in your head. Once I did that, the book moved forward so much easier!

Reactions: Kaweskar

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also I'm working on putting it in actual print. Then I can donate one to the local library and take a picture of it on a shelf, once they matriculate it. That will make me VERY happy and fulfilled. :-D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I read through the first chapters of your book (on Amazon) and I think will be interesting. I read almost exclusively on my Kindle so when I get through the three backlogged books in its memory I may give yours a try. Was this a long term goal for you (to write a novel) or did you just wake up one day and decide to begin it?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts