Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a quick walk down to our local warfe here in sunny Whitianga (NZ), and have been witness to a remarkable fishing acomplishment.
The angler is 73 **** Elwood, a well known retired local skipper. Whilst fishing out of his mates Riviera launch, **** hooked played and landed a 393 kg Blue Marlin (865lb aprox). It took the old fella 6 hours to get the fish to the boat. I will put some pics up when my mate sends them through.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
8) 8) Never mess with an old man. ;) ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
thats awsome. the closest i have seen one is when it hit my lure at 15yds off our cutter(coast guard), tail walked and bent my hook almost straight. cant wait to see the pic's.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
AWESOME! 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Niiiice!

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Mercy, that old boy is pure hell for 73, very impressive. Need to post this next time we all start moaning about aches and pains.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A small insight into the 73 year old angler;
Many years ago, he was instrumental in the design and build of a steel multi hull 44 foot boat. As the design was umproven, the New Zealand maritime authorities refused to put her into survey for commercial use.
In order to convince the powers that be, **** Ellwood and his mates sailed/motored the new, unproven boat, from NZ to Japan and back.
The boat is still in everyday service some 30 plus years on.
I guess if you can do stuff like that, then catching a big fish is childs play, even at 73.

·
Registered
603 Posts
thats a big fish! lots of steaks on that one

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Wonder what the Trophy Fee was...

What a beauty!!!

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts