Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article interesting. The author writes some of the 50 caliber handgun cartridges that are available. I only saw one quote on muzzle velocity. I would have liked to see some kind of data on the muzzle velocity of the compared rounds. While it may be like comparing apples to oranges, I would have like to seen numbers anyways.

https://www.magnumresearch.com/PDF/068_F7_BigBore_August18.pdf

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
More of a novelty IMHO.

AC
You are correct for the majority of these things out there. I have one of the 500SW revolvers and I don't know why. Yea it's fun to shoot and let others give it a try, but I am not a handgun hunter and even if I was, this would not be my first choice. I'd go with one of my 44 mags or maybe trade the 500 for a 460SW. To me it is nothing more than a novelty/toy, but then so isn't my .50 BMG and 45-120 Sharps.

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
Been shooting them big 1/2 inchers for many years now. They have a specific purpose but I do not think it is a pleasure gun. The kick is horrendous on full loads with the heavy bullets. Mainly as a backup sidearm for Alaska or big game territory. When you do shoot them on the pistol range you will attract a crowd after you touch off the rounds and they see the flame coming out of your barrel. The other shooters on each side of your stall will sit down as the blast can be felt from the revolver. The only one that really feels tame is the 50AE Desert Eagle as it is gas operated and soaks up the recoil. The revolvers are stiff on recoil except for the big S&W with a muzzle brake is pretty tame.

If you ever tried one of those single shot pistols in 308 Win or 30-06 the recoil is pretty harsh on those even though the gun weighs 5lbs.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wanted to get back into handgun hunting, and debated for several years... 460 or 500! I decided on the 460, as I thought it had an edge on versatility! As of now, I have a shot cartridge (1/2 oz. of #8 shot, equaling a 2 1/2 “ .410), a 300 grain, SWC @ 1000 fps, and a 400 grain SWC, pushed hard! This will cover almost any need I will have for the handgun.

On the weight issue... yes, it’s heavy, but that has some advantages. Recoil, compared to my 629 Smith is very tame, and when on shooting sticks....is very stable. When hunting, whether with rifle or handgun...I use any rest available, mostly shooting sticks! Offhand, is quite doable, but not for extended sessions... as it is heavy. But then, offhand should be used for close shots only... in a hunting situation, you are not likely to be holding it up in a shooting position for extended periods of time! IMO memtb

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
Then there's the story about the guy in Alaska who carried a .500 revolver and a grizzly charged him. He emptied the revolver into the bear, the last two shots as it slid past him.

Didn't hear any comments about recoil ;)
He must have had a mean adrenalin rush !!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I found this article interesting. The author writes some of the 50 caliber handgun cartridges that are available. I only saw one quote on muzzle velocity. I would have liked to see some kind of data on the muzzle velocity of the compared rounds. While it may be like comparing apples to oranges, I would have like to seen numbers anyways.

https://www.magnumresearch.com/PDF/068_F7_BigBore_August18.pdf
It will require a little research, but I think that data for most of those cartridges can be found on Wikipedia! memtb

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It will require a little research, but I think that data for most of those cartridges can be found on Wikipedia! memtb
I am sure that I can find it. I am lazy and would have rather had the author include those numbers in the article. :)

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
I see the 500's at the Range I work at .................BUT........

I don't understand the mindset(s) of the owners........... I talk with them about hunting, and they don't hunt !!

I can't understand why someone would want to invest that much money in that platform, unless they had a very specific reason ..............

My Colt Anaconda 44 Mag is so specialized in its use, that I haven't shot it in years...........It's now just an investment...............Its certainly NO range gun, at least not for me.
Maybe if I lived in Idaho or Montana, I'd think differently, but in New England, I think 10MM or a 45 Colt is all that's needed..............

Maybe I'm just I'm just Old (school)

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
Only input I have is recoil is "impressive" other than that they are OK. In my neck of the woods a little overkill (for whitetail) and heavy, but so is a 444 Encore pistol. Just my 2 cents.
Impressive?.............Recoil has never impressed me.....................Neither has Muzzle Blast *
.....But I DO think some people will buy a firearm JUST because it has huge recoil or Muzzle blast..I just don't understand why.........but it must be a MACHO thing!.............Maybe its caused by too much Garlic ??

* The reason I'm no longer fond of 357 Mag

Yeah, I agree, I think the 460's and 500's are waaay overkill for Whitetails..............

Tom

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I don’t ever hunt with a handgun. I don’t know know why anyone would. Maybe the challenge? If you can shoot a handgun accurate, you can shoot a rifle better. Longer sight radius, more points of contact. Follow up shots faster. I can understand carrying a big bore handgun if you live in bear country. But, even then I would rather be walking around with a rifle slung on my shoulder, or in my hand. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Around here handgun hunting provides a few more days of deer season during the "alternative methods" portion. For those of us who don't care for front-stuffers or an atlatl.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Impressive?.............Recoil has never impressed me.....................Neither has Muzzle Blast *
.....But I DO think some people will buy a firearm JUST because it has huge recoil or Muzzle blast..I just don't understand why.........but it must be a MACHO thing!.............Maybe its caused by too much Garlic ??

* The reason I'm no longer fond of 357 Mag

Yeah, I agree, I think the 460's and 500's are waaay overkill for Whitetails..............

Tom

People hunt by different means, for many different reasons. Some for the challenge (bow hunting immediately comes to mind) and as mentioned, to lengthen their hunting opportunities.

As for too much for Whitetails... many muzzleloaders are 50 cals, some with similar velocities! It’s all a matter of perspective! memtb

·
Registered
583 Posts
Handgun hunting is fun, but only practical in certain applications. I've done it for several years and hunt similar to how I bowhunt. Meaning same stands, same funnels, thick brush, standing corn. I switched to rifles once Ohio allowed them. I have a buddy who is flat deadly with his 500. He has made several 100 yard shots, including one free hand I personally witnessed. Most can't do that well, but they are fun. I stick with my 44 and 10 mm.
The best is when a newbie double taps a 500 from the recoil. Google it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.