Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got my re-bored 1963 336C to shoot well. Going from a .30-30 that couldn't put consecutive shots into a square foot of target paper to a .38-55 that made a "best effort" 1.55 inch group at 100 yards has been quite a journey. Many thanks to MOG members who have assisted.

The final recipe turned out to be the long Starline case, 28gr of H4198 and a gas-checked hard cast bullet from Montana Bullet Works. I believe it's the RCBS mold 82029. It is definitly gas checked and weighs 261 gr when sized to .376.

What could go wrong?? Montana Bullet Works has gone "off line" due to a "family difficulty" as reported on their answering machine.

Now I have a wonderful rifle that takes a recipe, one ingredient of which I just can't get! I have the same bullet in plain base and also a plain base 225gr and neither one will shoot even close to the gas checked bullet that I'm trying to re-locate.

Does anyone on the forum know of anyone else casting this (or a very similar) bullet?

Also, in general, does anyone know why all cast bullets appear to be in such short supply?

Thanks,

Sig

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I cast my own and have found the Lee mold to work just fine. As to getting a group with the 38-55 I have had to use as cast bullets at 381 or so. If you are buying bullets you will likely need the larger diameters if the rebore was a true 38 at 380. Many rebores are now 375 so I cannot say. I ahve seen more tahn one cast bullet on the market that just does not work as well as what I can cast. Cast bullets are a matter of size and alloy. Sometimes a softer one will slug up to fit the bore etc. For good advice on cast bullets go to the CAST BOOLIT site.

DEP

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hunters Supply They have a gas check bullet they sell without the gas check.They offer it in 3 different diameters.I use it without the gas check for the first 3 ranges in lever action silhouette with 10 grs of Unique.For the rams at 200 I use it with the gas check and 19 grs of 2400. www.hunters-supply.com

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Dave at Montana Bullet Works could use some prayers from people that used his products. DP

Reactions: Wet Dog and BFPGW
1 - 7 of 7 Posts