Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I agree with the President on most things, but I can’t on this. We’ve been hearing, ad nauseum, that polling suggests that the public supports universal background checks and greater gun restrictions. And we’ve not only been hearing this from democrats, but also from Republicans. - Brent Smith

So now I guess we’ve given up on protection and defense of the Constitution and will be governed by the whims of the people and politicians? It reminds of what the father of the modern progressive movement, president Woodrow Wilson said. (I hate that guy!) “The Constitution was founded on the law of gravitation. The government was to exist and move by virtue of the efficacy of ‘checks and balances.’ The trouble with the theory is that government is not a machine, but a living thing. No living thing can have its organs offset against each other, as checks, and live.” ...

Read more: Don?t Cave on the Constitution | The Common Constitutionalist ? Let The Truth Be Known

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
"Red Flag laws enable authorities to confiscate someone’s weapon(s) without the burden of “due process.” You know — due process — the underpinning of our entire system of justice"

This is the danger ..the problem I fear. The above is not what is on the table, and certainly not what I'd sign on to, nor should anybody. He talks his narrative, leaving out the fine detail, like, the President walked back the 'take the guns first" impromptu open forum statement, gaff if you want. The President, and the WH have made it clear. Regardless, the end product is what we will have to debate, or base our decisions on going forward.
Just to continually beat the 'no due process' drum is very, very dangerous. ...........Too me, just another mouth, another 'rag', print for profit.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Eventually, gun owners will have to make a stand.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."
--Ben Franklin

Difficult as it may be to swallow, one must also consider we are living in the end-times of the American civilization.
Every civilization in history has declined and failed.

There is no reason whatsoever to believe ours is any different.
Instead of barbarians at the gates, we have Muslims.

Same as Rome, the populace discovered they can vote themselves handouts from the public treasury.
Homosexualty and corruption was rampant.
The price of a tender young boy was often higher than an entire farm.

Will Durant has it all documented in his tome, "The Story of Man."

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
"In fact it’s worse than just having the right to take away your gun. A red flag law actually gives authorities the right to take away your rights. If that’s not anti-constitutional, I don’t know what is."

Well I served 21 years and retired from the active US Army. During that time I was dedicated to serving the people of this nation and preserving it's freedoms and rights as detailed in the Constitution and Amendments. I believed in (and still do) these documents as a contract between the people of this nation and the government, where both sides acknowledge the limitations of one and the God given rights of the other.
During my life I have seen a relentless breaching of this contract by one side. I have watched as an endless parade of political filth undermined and held in contempt the laws that constrained government power. I have watched as they laughed and distorted the intent of the Constitution, or ignored it completely as it didn't fit into their agenda. Worse I have watched a Judicial branch from the lowest to the highest court fail to validate it's duties as protectors of these documents and ensure that the people of this nation were not led down the path to tyranny. We have been failed. First by a system that was supposed to maintain it's integrity through checks and balances and secondly by the courts of the lands that let the flames of justice die.
Now, having dispensed with any attempt to follow the Constitution they turn to trampling on and curtailing our rights. Let me say this. The powers given to the government came from the minds and will of the people. Period. First: We are still the people who will say what our government will be, not the government. Second: Our rights come from the will of God. Government did not nor cannot either give or take that what has been given to us by God....ever.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Anybody wants my guns, they can have them. Bullets come first. One at a time.

And I ain't kiddin', neither.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Eventually, gun owners will have to make a stand.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."
--Ben Franklin

Difficult as it may be to swallow, one must also consider we are living in the end-times of the American civilization.
Every civilization in history has declined and failed.

There is no reason whatsoever to believe ours is any different.
Instead of barbarians at the gates, we have Muslims.

Same as Rome, the populace discovered they can vote themselves handouts from the public treasury.
Homosexualty and corruption was rampant.
The price of a tender young boy was often higher than an entire farm.

Will Durant has it all documented in his tome, "The Story of Man."
We get the chance to take a stand every 2 years. Vote. Vote. Vote.
We all ***** a good game and then we go to the voting booth (many, but not enough of us) and vote for the same POS politicians we complain about.
It’s not all about the POTUS. House and Senate elections are arguably more important.
If we really want change, if we really want to make a stand, get out and vote and fire all of these mutts.
If gun owners drove a major turnover in Congress they’d think harder before they throw us under another bus...and then another and then another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
I see you are in NY and I am in CA.
I very much doubt that you stay home on election day, or vote for Democrats.
I most assuredly get out and vote, and never for Democrats.

Your state and mine are welfare states.
They "harvest" and "find" suitcases of votes, exclusively for Democrats.

How many of your votes have been cancelled out by a dead Democrat, an illegal vote, or a few hundred "harvested" or "found" votes?

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,795 Posts
I voted for a Democrat - Once! He was my boss, the Sheriff of Brevard county. He told me he was a Democrat because at the time they were the majority. As soon as Brevard became Republican he flipped. Purely politics.

On the flip side, we need to beware of Democrats posing as Republicans - wolves in sheep's clothing.

AC

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
If you got in as a Dem or Rep and then flipped by right there should be a special election to select another representative. You should resign as people voted you in based on party affiliation. That is how it is supposed to work.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The most the feds can due with respect to Red Flag Laws is to offer Federal funds to facilitate state laws. Both parties will not be able to agree on any bill that merges red flag, enhanced background checks and assault weapons. It will stall as it always does.

The real problem is a mental health problem. It was great to hear the President speak on the mental health problem twice yesterday.

A letter I wrote in 2015. Sent to the Senate Judiciary committee and WH last week, 3rd tie this year alone.

As many elected officials are dumbfounded and incapable of taking action to deter or otherwise diminish the violence now occurring within the Nation, consider the following.

State hospitals were once the most prominent components of U.S. public mental health systems. But a major focus of mental health policy over the past fifty years has been to close these facilities. These efforts led to a 95 percent reduction in the country’s state hospital population. As a direct result Violent crime among the mentally ill has increased not to mention the inability to properly care for themselves.

Neither a right to treatment nor a more demanding application of due process alone was particularly destructive, but in combination they made hundreds of thousands of seriously mentally ill people homeless, where many died of exposureand violence.!They fell through the cracks, living shorter, more miserable lives, and often greatly degrading the quality of urban life for everyone else. Many became something quite a bit more unsettling than the mentally ill person begging on the street or disrupting the public library: they became the mad mass murderers of the modern age.

Our governments solution, provide unsupervised housing, medicare/medicare, welfare payments, Social Security Disability payments. Today more than ever before we have a mental health crisis, with natural and hereditary causes, drug, alcohol induced mental health issues. And what do we do throw money at the problem and wonder why it getting worse. We as a Nation spend far more than it should reasonably cost to run the current system then to reopen the facilities or open new facility's to properly care for those who most need.

In 1950's & 60's it was much easier to obtain gun's then today however, there were far less mentally unstable walking the streets to do so. Hence far less Violent crime committed by the mentally unstable. Why because they were cared for and supervised not just given money set loose.

So the "Law Maker's" create new law's that create additional mental health problems, legalize marijuana known now to create psychosis. Why legalize anything that knowingly will cause harm? To control a certain element of the population would be my observation.

As to "Red Flag" law's to curb shootings involving the mentality ill they'll be used more as a form of retaliation between disgruntled parties then they will prevent shootings.

ALL 50 States have mental health law's on the books already that allow court's and medical personnel to petition the court for medical evaluation in the cases where it's believed an individual may harm themselves or others. In most cases the emergency evaluations are requested Ex-Parte. Not unlike the Ex-Parte Red Flag law's that are being proposed and already in use. The primary difference in the two is a Mental Health Ex-Parte actually goes to the cause while the Red Flag Ex-Parte goes to an object which neither knows right from wrong and leaves the cause untreated and in a position to cause harm.

I believe that all sound of mind can agree that any individual or group that inflicts harm on anyone for any reason other then defense of oneself, family or life of another HAS a Mental Health Issue.

Now is the time for Our Law Maker's to fix the problem not the symptom. Use the Law's that are already on the books and or modify those law's to fix the problem rather then create new law that doesn't address the core of the issue.
Perhaps it's time to do the right thing and provide appropriate care for the people who are not able to care for themselves? There has been much talk out of Washington concerning the gun violence and mental health. Reinstitute the state committed facilities as in the past.

A link to the current state mental health law's and conclusion.
https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ps.201500205

Surely the cost to do so is substantially less then the current method to house and treat those with mental illness!

Sincerely,

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Well if any of us make it through the battle, we’ll have plenty to talk about in prison!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts