Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Gavin and I did it again. Writing this article and doing the video with Gavin took me back several decades to a time when I owned one rifle and loaded for it on a Lee Loader. It's still a great, and inexpensive, way to handload:

Please read the article as well as viewing the video:

CAVEMAN Reloading (No Press Required) – Ultimate Reloader

Thank you, Guy

·
Registered
820 Posts
Very enjoyable video Guy. I had a few chuckles and laughs along with you. I'm also a big 6mm fan. With all of todays technology and such, its probably hard for the younger generation's to believe people use to use reloading kits such as these. Thanks for the video and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
18,628 Posts
I still have my .44 Mag Lee Loader. In cardboard. It's how many of us got started 50 years ago. Best $9.95 I ever spent. A couple neighborhood kids got married, so I gave them my .30-30 Lee Loader for a wedding gift.
Gas Metal Gadget Machine Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
16,333 Posts
The Lee® Loader will ALWAYS be a classic. I still have several and will pass them on to my son and grandsons.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a few as well that I run across from time to time. Showed my son who's been sizing cases on a single stage press since he was little how to use one. He referred to it as "sketchy"....but still shot the ammo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, Gavin and I did it again. Writing this article and doing the video with Gavin took me back several deca
Well, Gavin and I did it again. Writing this article and doing the video with Gavin took me back several decades to a time when I owned one rifle and loaded for it on a Lee Loader. It's still a great, and inexpensive, way to handload:

Thank you, Guy
Don't forget those Lee Shot Shell loader kits from the '60's & earlier. I purchased one in the early/mid 60's to do 20 gauge shells to help Mom put a few birds & rabbits on the table. $$$ were tight at that time and "new" shells were a bit expensive on a kid's paper route income. A Lee Loader kit and some components cost about the same as 2 boxes of high base R&P or Super-X shells but returned 4 to 5 times as many shots. Always bummin' cases from buddies (richer than me) to feed that old Lee.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I got my start reloading with Lee loaders in 45-70 and 357 mag in the 70s. My approach was even more cave man than Guy's as I didn't have a non metallic hammer so just used a hunk of 2 x 4. I recall WW 45-70 cases being much easier to resize than the nickel plated S&W 357 cases I had. They made very accurate ammo at very safe pressures. Both being straight wall cases I never seemed to have issues with case stretching. My biggest complaint, trying to reload as cheaply as possible, was having to use metallic bullets instead of cheap cast lead. Could have solved that by buying the $1.50 flaring tool Lee listed in the parts list, but I never saw one for sale in a gun shop.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Thank you, Guy
That was how I started in 1967 at 14 years old! Little to no money, no adult help.....it was the beginning of my desire to shoot more, shoot on less money, shoot more accurately, and soon enter the world of casting bullets! All started because I was a “poor kid” wanting to shoot my rifle that took me a year of saving money for! memtb

·
Registered
18,628 Posts
The flaring tool was included in my .44 Magnum Lee Loader bought in 1973. Did somebody in an above post mention that his .45-70 kit doesn't have a flaring tool? Or did he mean his .357 Magnum kit? The specific kit was not mentioned. Is this true of either the .45-70 or .357 Mag kits?

Reactions: memtb

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
The flaring tool was included in my .44 Magnum Lee Loader bought in 1973. Did somebody in an above post mention that his .45-70 kit doesn't have a flaring tool? Or did he mean his .357 Magnum kit? The specific kit was not mentioned. Is this true of either the .45-70 or .357 Mag kits?
I bought the .357 mag kit in 1975 and it came with the flaring tool,
I still have it in my loading shop somewhere

Reactions: memtb and rob42049

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I bought a K-Hornet and it came with a Lyman 310 (AKA nutcracker) tool and dies. Also an old Herter's undampened balance beam scale.
Dip a load of powder and put it on the scale and wait for it to quit bouncing.
The seller showed me how to use the set and roll my own loads. He shared his pet loads, some 2400 and bullets in the deal.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Now you guys got me wondering. A number of years ago, my mother gave me an old cigar box filled with some old reloading stuff that use to be my grandfathers. I remember glancing into the box and without much interest at the time, I stored it away with the intent to go back and look into it a little closer but never did. Guess the time has come.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Neither my 357 Mag or the 45-70 Loader bought in 1978 have the flaring tool. The instructions say " When loading cast bullets, it's necessary to expand the case mouth in order to accept the cast bullet without shaving the lead. A Flaring Tool can be purchased to quickly the the job. (See the parts list.)" Both these Loaders are in a red plastic case and the instructions are Copyright 1978. Seems like they deleted the Flaring tool about the same time the changed from the black cardboard box to the red plastic ones. Mine still have the price tags on them from Old West Arms, Denver. $14.99

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
mine is in the black & red cardboard box
I don't remember the powder charge, but I started loading with one scoop of the old Alcan AL-5
I will have to dig it out, the last I saw it was about 3 years ago when I built a new reloading room in my shop and as I looked at it, it brought back a lot of old memories of a young man proudly reloading and shooting his on ammo at the river bottoms on Saturday & Sunday afternoons

1 - 20 of 24 Posts