Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "all-around" sheath knife

I've always enjoyed owning a good sheath knife and can always find a myriad of uses for such a tool. I like the balance of a good knife, love to sharpen them and ponder about how self-sufficient a man can be with a good knife. What are some of your favorite all-around sheath knives, and what do you use them for? As always, pictures welcome.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Re: The "all-around" sheath knife

The finest blade I, and several knife makers have ever seen.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1425

It don't come cheap, and you want to get the leather covered wood sheath with is even more money.

They only made 1000. The steel is the nastiest sharpest metal ever made. It is very well balanced. But then it was designed for knife fighting by the Bowie brothers.
They had two made. Jim's is in the Santa Anna museum in Mexico city, and the other is at the Alamo.

I butchered an elk with mine a few months ago.

The only thing you may not like about it, is you hardly ever have to hone it. It holds a edge.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts

My two fav sheath knifes are my Hen and rooster with a bone brass and leather handle. and a custom skinner .When I feel old school its either my cedar handled one I made out of a blade that belonged to my uncle, or my Daniel Boone remake.Gunrunner,, I like your Bowie, Pard..

·
Registered
890 Posts

Roselli Carpenter's knife. For about $80 it is the ultimate all around knife (my opinion and a lot of other folks'). I will try to post pics when I get a chance, but you can find them online.

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts

The "all-around" (cheap) sheath knife. I have been using the Smith & Wesson 980 for a couple of years and love it for the price. Smoky Mountain Knife Works $9.99. I realize it isn't in the same class as Pard's knife but for that price I can sharpen & re-sharpen. Actually it holds a good blade. I have lost one already so these are cheap to replace and not bad!

6.00" Blade
11.00" Overall
Black Leather Belt Sheath

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts

Its hard to beat Smoky Mt knife company,I could spend a fortune in that place. Everbody should be getting there catalog sent to em. Nothing wrong with that S&W Gunner,I like em too.Got a couple of there folders and a throwing knife by them.Got a colt tanto point folder. Colt makes some good sheath knifes for the price too. Gunrunner

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts

gunrunner said:
Its hard to beat Smoky Mt knife company,I could spend a fortune in that place. Everbody should be getting there catalog sent to em. Nothing wrong with that S&W Gunner,I like em too.Got a couple of there folders and a throwing knife by them.Got a colt tanto point folder. Colt makes some good sheath knifes for the price too. Gunrunner
gunrunner, I'm like a kid in a candy store each year when I get there. My BIL and I spend several hours looking & buying on each visit.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts

And its not only there knifes,Ive got some of there old tin signs, Zippo lighters and such around here too.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

OK, Gunrunner and '95Gunner..... I just added Smokey Mt. to my favorites. My wife will be thriled ::) to know that I found another toy store. ;) ;D

Pard's Bowie is way out of my league.... she's a beaut though!! 8)

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts

Tedak said:
OK, Gunrunner and '95Gunner..... I just added Smokey Mt. to my favorites. My wife will be thriled ::) to know that I found another toy store. ;) ;D

Pard's Bowie is way out of my league.... she's a beaut though!! 8)
Tedak, funny thing - My BIL's and my wife are twins and when the BIL and I head to SMKW's the gals get in the other truck and go shopping where they want to. We get back together for a late lunch which gives us time for SMKW's, Bass Pro and any gun store we can find......... Sometimes we do run late for lunch. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

MT1761 I too like a good sheath knife although I don't carry one daily. I have a Grohmann #1 Original Canadian Belt Knife that is as close to an all around general purpose knife as I've ever seen. Here is a link to some pictures of them. Grohmann makes very high quality knives for a very good price, the steel is very good and they hold an edge very well. These knives are available in either stainless or carbon steel, mine is stainless with indian rosewood handles.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r1s.html

MM

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts

Seems like theres more of a thought of adventure with the larger blades,and I have my share.But I find a 3 or 4 inch blade alot more useful. Back when we did a lot of Man Drives for deer, Id carry a uncle henry pro hunter.It had a thick 5.5 blade that Id use to hack a limb or two off the tree I was useing to stand behind.Think there around 40 bucks at smokey MT knife works, and I think its a good buy. And in a way,The old Kabar is still a heck of a all around sheath knife, for the money. My Grandpa used to say you can tell alot about a man,by the knife he carrys,I think thats true. Gunrunner,,,

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

Randy your grandfather was a wise man, I couldn't agree more. I like your knives BTW, the little custom one is especially nice, so is the old blade you did up yourself. I use a 2 to 3 inch blade for field dressing both deer and elk. Over the years I've found it's way easier to dress game with a shorter blade that is kept extremely sharp. This is my newest one that I will try this fall for the first time. I just wish you lived a little closer, I'd have you whip me up a leather sheath for it instead of this kydex one that it came with.....grin.

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?products_id=50

Jesse

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts

I've been thinking about this question since it was first posted. I don't actually have a sheath knife that fits the "all around" stipulation of the question.

Most of my knives are more specialized. I suppose my old Buck Pathfinder is the closest thing I have an "all around" sheath knife. From my old Schrade skinner to my Cold Steel Trail Master, heck, even my M9 bayonet, they all excel in certain areas and all can multi-task but each of them has things that I feel bring them up short of being qualified as all around knives.

My Cold Steel Mini-Tac Tanto would be pretty close to that though. I do want to get a leather belt sheath made for it but I don't mind the neck sheath and it actually works well for some purposes.

They make it in four blade types and I think the Kirdashi or Skinner would be pretty tough to beat in the all-around knife category.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

Erik as usual it looks like Cold Steel has turned out another high quality knife that will really get the job done. I have a Cold Steel version of the Canadian Belt Knife that is a truly great value, great quality, great steel, and a great price. I found one place that sells them 2 for 28.00 plus shipping, very hard to beat indeed.

MM

·
Registered
85 Posts

Left to Right: Ontario made RTAK with custom Kydex sheath, Kershaw Outcast, Becker BKT-9.

Of these the RTAK is my favorite big chopper. It is a lot of knife in the big chopper category that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I can recommend it without reservations to anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

Rob I like your knives! The RTAK looks like it's really tough and I like the curve of the blade on the Kershaw, it reminds me a little of a khukri. Thanks for the great picture too.

MM

·
Registered
39 Posts

here;s mine, a Schrade-Walden M-15 I've carried for almost 40 years. It was a gift from my older brother and has seen many miles of hunting, camping and hiking. It aint particulaly pretty or valuable but it works every time I need it and holds an edge reasonably well.

·
Registered
890 Posts

pcbart said:
here;s mine, a Schrade-Walden M-15 I've carried for almost 40 years. It was a gift from my older brother and has seen many miles of hunting, camping and hiking. It aint particulaly pretty or valuable but it works every time I need it and holds an edge reasonably well.
Very nice!

It's pretty to anyone who loves knives and I bet it's very valuable to you.

·
Registered
137 Posts

I can't answer the question other than to say I always had my Schrade Old Timer on my belt during Deer Season. That Bowie of Pards is sure purty but would be the knife equivalent of a safe queen here.

I don't really collect knives but a fair number seemed to have ended up living here. The last one I bought was a Buck Vanguard, just 'cause it was so damn attractive and I was fairly certain I didn't have one in that particular length or handle material or something sorta like that.....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts