Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I have to agree. I went to the range this past Saturday with my 795 after installing the Tech sights...best sights I've used. After getting them adjusted, I got good results. Also using the Federal 550 bulk pack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Not knowing much about Tech Sights type shooting, I have a couple of questions. Are they accurate say out to 100 yards on a Marlin 60? Do you have to buy different size "holes" for different yardages? Why I'm asking is I'm getting close to getting my Marlin 60 in a thumbhole stock, that I plan on doing a little benchrest shooting at a range, finished. I could go ahead and put a scope on like most, but the plan is to have a fun rifle to shoot that is a little different than everything else out there. After it's finished I'm sure with all the "improvements" that have been done this should be accomplished. I was wondering if Tech Sights would fit the bill on my little "paper killer"? Thanks, Dave
 

·
Contributing Member
Joined
·
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frosty said:
Not knowing much about Tech Sights type shooting, I have a couple of questions. Are they accurate say out to 100 yards on a Marlin 60? Do you have to buy different size "holes" for different yardages? Why I'm asking is I'm getting close to getting my Marlin 60 in a thumbhole stock, that I plan on doing a little benchrest shooting at a range, finished. I could go ahead and put a scope on like most, but the plan is to have a fun rifle to shoot that is a little different than everything else out there. After it's finished I'm sure with all the "improvements" that have been done this should be accomplished. I was wondering if Tech Sights would fit the bill on my little "paper killer"? Thanks, Dave
The Tech Sight has one size aperature that to my knowledge cannot be swapped out. It is a relatively small hole though and the front sight post is pretty narrow. The furthest I've shot with them is 50yrds and they do just fine. At 100yrds I would expect groups to start opening up but I would say the same about any peep sight and rifle combo save those designed for longer range and precision shooting.

The Tech Sight is more of a functional field type sight. That isn't to say it can't be very accurate but it's purpose is more fast target acquisition. For bench rest type shooting I just don't know...Largely because I haven't tried it but at that range with a .22LR your getting closing to lobbing them in there.

I guess a lot depends on your expectations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
i believe they sell an "aperture ready system" that allows you to swap apertures. http://www.tech-sights.com/ and scroll all the way down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,026 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
.................but at that range with a .22LR your getting closing to lobbing them in there.
Most 22's (as well as other rifles) are a lot more accurate than the guy doing the shooting. I can't find the picture of it, but a year or two ago I shot the last seven rounds of a box of 22LR ammo I was testing at 100 yards, just to see what the difference in POI was. When I went down to the target, I was shocked to see them clustered in a nice, neat little group, a shade under 3/4 of an inch, five inches below the paster I was aiming at. That was with a 3X9 scope, but it reminded me that with the right ammo, even a lowly 22 can be amazingly accurate! 8)

We do a lot of plinking at my club range with 22's, just for bragging rights. We put clay pigeons out at 100 yards, break them easily, then shoot at the pieces. Once you've got the elevation figured out, they don't last long. My favorite trick is to find one my buddy is shooting at, then break it a second before he fires. I get called a lot of bad names when I'm dialed in. ;D
 

·
Contributing Member
Joined
·
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
papajohn said:
Most 22's (as well as other rifles) are a lot more accurate than the guy doing the shooting. I can't find the picture of it, but a year or two ago I shot the last seven rounds of a box of 22LR ammo I was testing at 100 yards, just to see what the difference in POI was. When I went down to the target, I was shocked to see them clustered in a nice, neat little group, a shade under 3/4 of an inch, five inches below the paster I was aiming at. That was with a 3X9 scope, but it reminded me that with the right ammo, even a lowly 22 can be amazingly accurate! 8)

We do a lot of plinking at my club range with 22's, just for bragging rights. We put clay pigeons out at 100 yards, break them easily, then shoot at the pieces. Once you've got the elevation figured out, they don't last long. My favorite trick is to find one my buddy is shooting at, then break it a second before he fires. I get called a lot of bad names when I'm dialed in. ;D
Well now you just know I'm gonna have to do some 100yd .22LR shootin next time I go to the range! ;D

A lot of this for me is pure ignorance. I just haven't done it enough to really be able to comment. Thanks for the insight PJ and for giving me yet another challenge. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,026 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
Thanks for the insight PJ and for giving me yet another challenge. :)
Erik, any reason to put more lead downrange and improve my shooting skills is a good enough excuse for me. It may be referred to as Plinking, but it's still a skill-builder. 8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
Was shooting a bit ago with a guy who had a 10/22 rig, all tricked out, he was using some sort of match ammo. It was good at 50 yards but there was a bit of wind, and he couldn't get onto a clay at 100 yards. I gave him some CCI's, I can't recall exactly which, it was amazing the difference it made. He was pretty disappointed when we ran out, but he's a convert to that stuff now for 100 yd shooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
The most fun my son and I have is putting clay pigeons out on sand dunes out to 300 yards.

With our heavy barreled Rugers and mil dot scopes we can hit about 90% of the time at 300 yards.

That's with CCI Tactical 40 grainers (only at Cabelas).

In fact, if tomorrow is a nice day............................

;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Yesterday I went by Walmart and bought a bunch of different types of 22 ammo and was going to go to the range today...despite it being cold and very overcast. But now it is snowing here in St, Louis...3-4 inches by tonight. Here is what I bought to try...

Remington Viper Hyper Velocity 36 grain
Winchester Super X Super Speed RN Velocity40 Grain
CCI MiniMag Target 40 grain

What I have on hand are Federal HP 550 Value pack 36 grain and Remington Golden Bullet HP 550 Bonus pack 36 grain.

Will be insteresting to see how these all work in both my Marlin 795 and Ruger 10/22. Just need the good weather.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,309 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
Indeed and truth be told, I love shooting my .22's. ;D
Me too.... I have just as much fun shoot'n the .22 as I do the centerfires ;)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top