Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Pop,

I shoot the 45/70, but from the devastation I have seen from the FTX, I wonder at pushing a fragile bullet still faster in the 450.

I don't and won't shoot that bullet or in fact jacketed bullets of any kind, but have seen the devastation on another guy's critter.

Just wondering after repeatedly seeing the awesome results from my cast bullets. Deer and Elk.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I would go with the LE powder if you can find a load for it.
If not, Reloader 7 is hard to beat for big straight walls.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Can’t speak for the 450 yet, but regular factory loads with the 325 gr FTX in my 45-70 is deadly on whitetail

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Little question about the accuracy as the FTX is accurate in many rifles, but a shot that strikes heavy bone or muscle will also give way more tissue damage/devastation then is needed for quick one shot kills on deer with a 45/70, so it follows that with higher velocity of a 450 Marlin there will just be more of a bad thing.

Come August 1st. I'll be out with the 45/70 and a 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast at 1650fps. The goal, bring home my 4th early season cow elk with that combination.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.