Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and finally, the one that I didn't know that I was looking for, was on the used rack at Cabelas. In the last year I have seen 4 of them and talked myself out of all of them.

This one looked like the Big Brother of my 53 336SC 35 Rem, it even has the Williams peep sight. This was the one, that I had been looking for.

It is a 1977 444S, in good condition and only $499, so I put it on layaway. Now I have to wait 4 more days for payday.

I hope they still have a couple boxes of ammo.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good things come to he who waits or is that procrastinates. Congrats on a good one.

Reactions: farmboy and bnparts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Here in middle Georgia, I've been waiting, and waiting and waiting, but so far no 444's to be had! :(

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
That rifle is going to make you one happy camper!

Reactions: farmboy and Pereira

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thats what I paid for my 1977 S as well. You are gonna love it. More BOOM than a 35 yet less that a 45-70. Its just a pure joy to shoot. Remington 240g Core Loks are very accurate out of this rifle. Was mine anyway. Throw up some pics here when you get it.
Congrats!!!

Hayden.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here in middle Georgia, I've been waiting, and waiting and waiting, but so far no 444's to be had! :(
I don't see too many Marlins in the LGS's around here, but the Cabelas opened up close to 2 years ago and I have found that they have a fairly steady stream of used Marlins come in, usually 2 or 3 at a time and most don't last longer than a week. I started going in there weekly looking for ammo and loading supplies and I always went to the powder isle first, used rifle rack second and then the ammo. This routine has netted me 5 Marlins and powder to feed them.

I look at that place like it's my own secret fishing hole. I have bought 2 30-30 Texans, a 30-30 Waffle Top and 2 35 Rem SC's and they are all from the 50's and 60's and in good shape, just need some TLC.
The first 444 I saw there was a 66 and I contemplated it for about 3 weeks and when I thought I would take one more look, it was gone. They had just gotten in a 1950 Waffle Top RC and a 1953 35 Rem SC and because I had never seen a 35 Rem and reading about how scarce they are in different parts of the country, I decided, that I would not put it down until it was paid for. I left the Waffle Top because I figured it would still be there the next week, (it needed some help).

There was and possibly still is a 444 at a pawn shop about 15 miles away, that they were just asking too much for with a Leuphold scope on it. It looked in ok shape, but after cycling it, I noticed that the lever popped open way to easy, probably a simple fix, but that was the deal breaker.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bnparts you'l never get the grin off ya face now. I bought my 444SS at a Gun Show a couple of years ago, I went there looking for a Marlin in 375win, sure am glad there wasn't one there.:biggrin:

GUS
NEVER! Never be looking for something specific, they will go out of their way to hide from you, I see that here all the time, you can't even pretend that you are not looking for them, they know!:)

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
and finally, the one that I didn't know that I was looking for, was on the used rack at Cabelas. In the last year I have seen 4 of them and talked myself out of all of them.

This one looked like the Big Brother of my 53 336SC 35 Rem, it even has the Williams peep sight. This was the one, that I had been looking for.

It is a 1977 444S, in good condition and only $499, so I put it on layaway. Now I have to wait 4 more days for payday.

I hope they still have a couple boxes of ammo.
It might be the twin to mine I also got a 77 model!!! You will love that rifle!!

Reactions: bnparts
1,907 Posts
Love me some 444. Fearsome power in a lever gun. Makes a guy feel like anything in the way is gonna get knocked down. Right now. My first was a y2k model with ballard rifling. Accurized it and started playing with Beartooth 325gr gas checked bullets. Had those things going hole through hole at something like 2200fps+ if I recall. Not sure why something so punishing can be so much fun, but it was like parking freight trains on top of each other. Eventually sold that first one to a friend with a serious case of 444 blues, but now I have two early production models to keep me company. One I've threaded and built a brake for. That helps, because I have no cushion for the pushin. Both are accurate, even with Hornady's 265FTX, which aren't supposed to work in the 1:28 micro groove barrels. Go figure. When I can get around to it I'm converting both to tenon/post mag tube fixings, as the early models had a tendency toward shoving mags past their open top barrel bands under heavy recoil. Small price to pay. I still prefer these pre-safety, pre-checkering originals. Cherish your canons, gents.

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Yes you will simple love it. Don't why but you will, or I do, biggest grin ever shootin mine. I now call it The Big :biggrin: Grin Gun. :flute:

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just picked up 98 444ss jm stamped this past holiday weekend. It likes both the rem 240 and 265 leverlution., tight groups at 100yds. Going to be nice for upcoming Ohio deer season.
Is that the 1:38 or 1:20 twist?

I still have to find some ammo, hopefully I can find some Rem 240 and the Leverevolution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.