Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Re: the .375 Winchester as elephant and cape buffalo gun

I know my .375 winchester knock's the stuffing out of a deer, but I never considered it a elephant and cape buffalo gun :eek:
Karl

·
Registered
265 Posts

I think that a .375 Win. might just piss a Cape Buffalo off enough that it would not calm down, even after it was done jumping up and down on my body!

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts

Cape Buffalo with a 375 Win is all about technique. What is necessary is a stealthy stalk up behind the buff and insertion of 6 or 8 inches of barrel into the nether regions of said buff before touching one off. The barrel must be at an 87 degree angle up so that the bullet impacts the spine and drops the beast in it's tracks. Then the hunter can, at leisure, walk around to the side and fire as many rounds as needed to break through the ribs and muscle to reach the heart. Of course, a PH worth his salt will have perfected a rope and halter technique to immobilize the buff while the barrel is inserted. I will be waiting for pictures as the process is proven a success or a failure. In case of failure :'( I will send a card to the bereaved families disavowing any knowledge of the above post.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts

"A Man's got to know his limitations".

That includes his caliber of choice. 8)

Using a 375 Winchester on anything bigger than an Elk sounds like an illustration of how Natural Selection works.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts

If any member of a hunting party I was in planned on using a 375 Winchester on cape buffalo or elephant I would want to take out a short term insuance policy on him. Also, not be too near him when he ticks a buffalo off by popping it with insufficient power. It would be poor consolation to me to know the buffalo, or elephant, is slowly dieing while he is doing a tap dance routine on my body. Shenandoah

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Its been sucessfully done with .44 magnum handguns shooting 240 jhp's, so the .375 should be a step up. If i was gonna take a shot at one of them i want a .458, or at least a hardcast 45-70.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Bull Snake said:
Cape Buffalo with a 375 Win is all about technique. What is necessary is a stealthy stalk up behind the buff and insertion of 6 or 8 inches of barrel into the nether regions of said buff before touching one off. The barrel must be at an 87 degree angle up so that the bullet impacts the spine and drops the beast in it's tracks. Then the hunter can, at leisure, walk around to the side and fire as many rounds as needed to break through the ribs and muscle to reach the heart. Of course, a PH worth his salt will have perfected a rope and halter technique to immobilize the buff while the barrel is inserted. I will be waiting for pictures as the process is proven a success or a failure. In case of failure :'( I will send a card to the bereaved families disavowing any knowledge of the above post.
Thanks guys. It has been a long tough day at work and I can home with a very bad attitude. I must say after LMAO on the floor that I have wiped the tears from my eyes and now feel a lot better. :'( I needed that. PJ you had it right a man has to know his limitations. Thanks. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts

I'm sure the magazine has had a misprint. It happens to everyone I'm sure they meant .375 H&Hm because they know better and the proof reader missed that one.

"fk"

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts

"fk"
Don't bet on it. With most companies cutting costs every way they can it is entirely possible a "proof editor" has been hired from a far distant background and that he (or she) has no idea a 375 Winchester, and a 375 H&H Mag are two very different cartridges.
I have read published "evaluations" of the 38-55 Win published in gun magazines by "noted gun authorities" whose results vary radically from what I have experienced over the past 11 years of shooting and reloading for a Marlin 336CB in 38-55. That is only one example of some of the whitewash I have seen published in the past few years. Shenandoah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts