Marlin Firearms Forum banner

15181 - 15200 of 15248 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I think i want to start building kit muzzle loaders.....i never tried one. don't see why i couldn't with what i have here in my shop.
I am looking at a flintlock 32 cal and I just can’t justify getting one right now. I have a 32 cal percussion but I want a flintlock also. The guy wants a lot for it but it sure is nice.

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
I am looking at a flintlock 32 cal and I just can’t justify getting one right now. I have a 32 cal percussion but I want a flintlock also. The guy wants a lot for it but it sure is nice.

let me ask you this-
If you wanted to build a muzzleloader to use for hunting squirrels, and you wanted to use shot.....what would you build?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
let me ask you this-
If you wanted to build a muzzleloader to use for hunting squirrels, and you wanted to use shot.....what would you build?
Probably asking the wrong guy on this one. I have never built one and know zero muzzleloading shotguns. OLDSKOOL or Pereira would be better suited to answer that.

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
well, I know that a smoothbore can use either shot or ball, but what I am concerned about is that they are all cylinder bore with no choke, unless i buy an english fowler, and those are only slightly choked.

I am used to runing a 4-10 or 20 with full or sometimes a turkey choke using number 6 or 5 shot. This is going to be a whole new ballgame.

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
I have an inline ML rifle which ain't the same as a replica flintlock or percussion cap long gun. I do have fun shootin' it and can see why anyone would want a St. Louis Hawken or Kentucky/Tennessee long rifle. Its very satisfying bringing home game with a smokepole.............

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
Down to my last bottle of Woodford Reserve. I have a bottle of small batch Evan Williams, a bottle of George Dickel, and a bottle of Hotel Tango bourbon stashed away. Went to the Coastie Exchange last weekend and bought some hooch that was on sale............

·
Super Moderator
24,227 Posts
I took a tour of the Makers Mark distillery about 3 years ago. Petty cool place located right next to a small stream. The clear colored Makers is the stuff that will kick your butt--much higher in proof than what you can normally buy locally. I have only seen the clear colored Makers in Kentucky so far.

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
I'd like to get back into making whiskey too. I had a real nice still, that I built myself, but I sold it a couple years ago. I looked around at prices of copper sheeting last week, but I can just about buy a still ready made for what it would take to buy the stuff to build another one.

·
Registered
16,278 Posts
Y’all ever hear about a feller from Tennessee named Jack Hinson? He killed over a hundred Union soldiers in an act of revenge for the murder and beheading of his two sons, aged 17 and 21. Sniped some of them from a bluff overlooking a split in the river in the Land Between The Lakes area up there. They later measured the distance at 600 yards. He special-ordered a rifle just for this purpose. He freed all his slaves and let them have full run of his farm before moving his surviving family 40 miles west to a relative’s house for safety, then returned and resumed sniping mostly Union officers. They burned down his farmhouse and ran-off his former slaves, who had chosen to stay to look after the place. He stopped his killing spree after the surrender at Appomattox and opened up a general goods store, which he ran until dying of natural causes. As you can imagine, he had to keep a low profile the rest of his life.

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
A friend of mine had the book that was written about him. He was supposed to let me read it after he finished it.....but i never got it from him.
From what i was told, it says in the book that a German Immigrant gunsmith built the rifle for him.

15181 - 15200 of 15248 Posts