Marlin Firearms Forum banner

14481 - 14500 of 14561 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,897 Posts
no.... the answer is west/ south-west Texas....either the golden triangle area of the hill country or the trans-pecos region. You can buy square miles of that area for what they want for a couple thousand acres here.
Only thing is some of that area dosent have hogs. But the trade-off is there is turkey.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Morning all. I hunted the last 2 days with no luck. I saw some does but couldn’t get a shot off. If I had more of a chance to cut lanes in, things would have went differently, but such is life. I picked the right area of the property to hunt just have to be better prepared next year. There’s still more seasons left so I still have hope. Hope everyone has a great and safe day.

Nav it is a shame people have to be that way. Common courtesy is a thing of the past with a lot of people.

·
Super Moderator
24,029 Posts
Morning all by the way. Tomorrow is the Wisconsin gun opener. Heading out by myself as my dad has passed away and my sister doesn't seem interested in hunting any longer. Gonna be strange, that's for sure.
Good luck today, Jake! Hope ya get a big one!
My hunting experience is much different than most here on MO. My dad was never a hunter, a great fisherman but not a hunter. Grew up hunting with my cousins/uncles/high school buddies until I moved away for the Army life. When I was able to hunt, it was always with those I served with at that particular Army post---so it was an ever changing group of people throughout the years. Since my Army retirement, I have been lucky to hunt on a buddy's property since 2010 solely by myself unless my son and his family were visiting. So---I have been pretty much a solitary hunter, no other company unless its the local wildlife. I greatly enjoy my outdoor experiences during those years--wouldn't trade them for anything! Its best to get out and enjoy God's gift of the outdoors when you can. Treasure your past hunting memories with your family and friends but always look forward for the ones to come.

·
Super Moderator
24,029 Posts
Morning all. I hunted the last 2 days with no luck. I saw some does but couldn’t get a shot off. If I had more of a chance to cut lanes in, things would have went differently, but such is life. I picked the right area of the property to hunt just have to be better prepared next year. There’s still more seasons left so I still have hope. Hope everyone has a great and safe day.

Nav it is a shame people have to be that way. Common courtesy is a thing of the past with a lot of people.
I was hoping you would put something down. I really enjoyed hunting in the "Show Me" state at Fort Leonard Wood. Is your hunting done for the year? And I agree---common courtesy is dead in America for the most part.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I was hoping you would put something down. I really enjoyed hunting in the "Show Me" state at Fort Leonard Wood. Is your hunting done for the year? And I agree---common courtesy is dead in America for the most part.
No, my hunting isn’t over yet. Antlerless season is the first weekend in December and Alternative season is 12/26 to 1/5. So I should get a couple more sits in before it’s all over. My youngest hasn’t got to hunt at all and he comes home from college Wednesday and finishes the year out via online classes. We will get to hunt antlerless season together, which makes it all that much better for me.

I am in the same boat as you my Dad enjoyed fishing more than hunting. We did a little small game hunting but he didn’t care about deer hunting at all. He probably should’ve seeing how there were 9 of us total to feed.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Morning all. No deer yet this weekend, having to deal with some disrespectful public land hunters as usual. Holding out hope for late week hunting when all the idiots are typically back home.

·
Super Moderator
24,029 Posts
Didn't see any deer after Momma Bear and her 2 cubs walked by my stand this morning at 0700. When the blackies show up, usually there will be no deer for that day.

I had my '68 Marlin Mod 336RC 35 Rem and a 44 SPL Ruger BH at the ready in case momma got mad.......

·
Super Moderator
24,029 Posts
Morning all. No deer yet this weekend, having to deal with some disrespectful public land hunters as usual. Holding out hope for late week hunting when all the idiots are typically back home.
Yeah----gotta love the "drive-by" hunters that tramp all over the landscape and chase away the animals. I bet you get one later in the week, Jake.

·
Super Moderator
23,897 Posts
went with an old HS buddy of mine to his place up in Navarro County this evening. He has a management lease up there. I thought the wind was going to blow the stand over and figured it was a waste of time but I wasn't doing nothing else. He said he has 5 one horned bucks on that place he wants taken out. about dusk deer came out everywhere....even in a 20mph wind. I couldn't believe it. I didn't see any of what he wanted taken but it was a great hunt. Im supposed to go back soon.
i seen some great big does and some real nice bucks.
he is an avid long range shooter, and his feeders are 200 yards from the stands. the one i was in has a 400 yd shot to the tree line. i needed better binoculars lol.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
Dang if the girls just didn't show me a pic of a Black Bear on the corner a couple houses over going through the trash cans. Crazy how it is live'n here. Deer, bear, rabbits, racoon, mountain lion, bobcat and plenty of coyotes go'n down your street. .....folks see you with a rifle? Call the cops..911!!

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
He's been around for a few weeks, first time on my street. He gets too friendly, they put him out, take him back up the mountain. .....think it's pretty neat have'n him around though.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
Dang if the girls just didn't show me a pic of a Black Bear on the corner a couple houses over going through the trash cans. Crazy how it is live'n here. Deer, bear, rabbits, racoon, mountain lion, bobcat and plenty of coyotes go'n down your street. .....folks see you with a rifle? Call the cops..911!!
I aint in California but in similar area.
Got hundreds of acres all around me all lib owned but no one will let you hunt their precious pets as they consider em.
But when someone is killed in a wreck or trying to avoid em they b um complain about how unsafe the roads are.
I have seen bobcat coyote tons of Deer and small game.
I passed a good size buck the other night he just stood on the side of the road.
I swear he nodded at me like yep you aint chit dude keep on driving.
Now bears i aint heard of any but when you get hills caves hundreds of acres mixed throughout and tons of game wont surprise me when they start outskirting here.
I know one spot 98acres of caves and 200acres of open land up top all unoccupied.

14481 - 14500 of 14561 Posts