Marlin Firearms Forum banner

13601 - 13620 of 13970 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,823 Posts
working on loading some 308
I mostly stick with H4895 and 150 gr bullets but my AR-10 clone and Savage 99 do like heavier offerings. H4895 does very well in semi-autos, lever guns, and bolt rifles.

·
Super Moderator
23,687 Posts
i've had great sucess in my savage 99 with h4895 and varget.
this load i got from another forum from a guy that has my exact same rifle.
im not all that concerned if it's one-hole accurate. i just want a bunch of ammo.
ill get serious about things once i get ready to go hog hunting.
i will say though, i put that vortex scout scope on it and using the sling that came on it,
which i like and incidentally, was perfectly adjusted, a man can quite easily shoot it
off hand if need be.
I was pleasantly surprised how clear this 2-7 Vortex is. I am a Ziess man through and through.
But to my knowlegde, they don't make a scout scope...(sigh).
I looked this one up and it ain't exactly a cheap-o. And the reviews are good.
The guy I got this load from uses the same scope as well.
I ordered 500 rds of brass and 1000 sierra 168gr match bullets. Once i get the rifle broke in and get myself used to it, I'll starte developing a hunting load. I think I like the 168gr Sierra BTSP.
I really want to see how that bullet slams a hog running 2600fps.
The other day I took some 168gr FMJ and shot through some cinder blocks stacked 3 deep at 100 yards. The power this thing has is addictive. There is no wonder why the Military wanted this rifle.

I was looking around on the OFF GRID living forum and dug up an old thread where this rifle was reffered to as the perfect do it all gun, for defense, hunting and everything in-between. Of coarse, it IS a chunk. But a man in decent shape should be able to tote one. After all, our boys carried Garands across France in 1944 and they was being shot at all the way.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Good morning all. Haven’t had a whole lot of time to hang around here lately. Dealing with some legal issues the last couple of weeks. That along with my Dad’s birthday is this Saturday. I knew it was going to be hard but this really sucks.

This will be the first time all of the family will be together since he died. Mom is wanting to go through some of his things while we are all there on Saturday. It has been a very emotional last couple of weeks and is going to be extremely hard on Saturday.

Please keep my family in your prayers this week. We are going to need all the help we can get.

·
Super Moderator
23,823 Posts
i've had great sucess in my savage 99 with h4895 and varget.
this load i got from another forum from a guy that has my exact same rifle.
im not all that concerned if it's one-hole accurate. i just want a bunch of ammo.
ill get serious about things once i get ready to go hog hunting.
i will say though, i put that vortex scout scope on it and using the sling that came on it,
which i like and incidentally, was perfectly adjusted, a man can quite easily shoot it
off hand if need be.
I was pleasantly surprised how clear this 2-7 Vortex is. I am a Ziess man through and through.
But to my knowlegde, they don't make a scout scope...(sigh).
I looked this one up and it ain't exactly a cheap-o. And the reviews are good.
The guy I got this load from uses the same scope as well.
I ordered 500 rds of brass and 1000 sierra 168gr match bullets. Once i get the rifle broke in and get myself used to it, I'll starte developing a hunting load. I think I like the 168gr Sierra BTSP.
I really want to see how that bullet slams a hog running 2600fps.
The other day I took some 168gr FMJ and shot through some cinder blocks stacked 3 deep at 100 yards. The power this thing has is addictive. There is no wonder why the Military wanted this rifle.

I was looking around on the OFF GRID living forum and dug up an old thread where this rifle was reffered to as the perfect do it all gun, for defense, hunting and everything in-between. Of coarse, it IS a chunk. But a man in decent shape should be able to tote one. After all, our boys carried Garands across France in 1944 and they was being shot at all the way.
I have several Vortex scopes to include the 2-7X scout scope which is on my 1895G. They all have been outstanding to include the 2-7X Vortex on my regular 1895 which I shoot stout loads from. That scope has been holding together for the past 3 years and still is going strong despite the pounding it gets.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Good morning all. 61 degrees out the door this morning with a high of 75. Can’t ask for better weather in August. Hope everyone has a great day today.

13601 - 13620 of 13970 Posts