Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a big bore as normally considered but with all the knowledge here I thought I would see what kind of responses I would get.

Last year I used the 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip. I shot a 6 pointer and was not happy with the bullet performance. I know the heavier bullets have better BC and SD but I like the lighter bullets to reach out if neccessary. I saw that Barnes makes the 185 x bullets and was interested in if anyopne has used one and how it performed.

All help is thanked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I'm curious as to what you used the 180 gr BT on and what about the terminal performance you weren't satisfied with?

I've used a 338-06 and most recently a 338-284 (equivalent case capacity) with both 200 gr and 180 gr Nosler BT and been quite pleased with their results - though I'm using them on deer and not heavier game. Also, I keep the muzzle velocity ~ 2800 fps which is more than adequate for reasonable trajectory out to 300 yard and allows the bullet to perform well without opening up too fast.

Interested in your experience, so I'll be wating on your reply post to see what you encountered with the bullet's performance that you didn't like.

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
Am considering a barrel swap on my sporterized .30-06 1917 Enfield to the .338-06, or possibly the .35 Whelen.

How is the performance in the field & on game of these two cartridges? I think I'd be partial to loading Nosler's 210 grain partition in the .338-06. Not sure what bullet I'd be most likely to use with the .35 Whelen...

Thanks, Guy

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
In our 338-06 Sierras 215gr is all we have shot so far we have some 210gr Partitions that we will work up loads for in due time. With our 338WM we only use 250gr bullets and we are thinking about trying the 210gr partitions also. IMHO the 338-06 is a very underrated cartridge, it is truly a cartridge that can do it all without the heavy recoil.
..................................................................................................Marko

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gldprmr,

The problem was that the bullet completely came apart, the deer died....but. Now the deer was about 75 yds away and the shot angle was not perfect so maybe I am being a little unfair. I then loaded 200 gr Nosler Combined Technology bullets and after a year and a few diffrent combination can not get them to group well. NOW I have loaded the 210 Nosler Partitions as my friend is borrowing the rifle for a caribou/moose/bear hunt in Newfoundland..This will be a test for sure, my problem is that I think they are a little overkill for deer. Maybe after all issaid and done, I will try the 180 Nos BT again and give them another try.

Starbow, we keep on agreeing, first the 444 obsession and now the 338-06. I agree that this is a very underated Cartridge and can not think why it has not been more legitimitized..But hey what do I know :D

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
ChipM, those 210 Partitions may well be a "little overkill" for deer, but heck, you're shooting a .338 at 'em anyway...

I've seen the soft front portion of partition bullets expand quickly on light game, and of course proceed to drive right on through. That kind of performance works fine in my book.

Shot my mulie last year with a 405 grain .45 bullet at about 75 yards. Worked real well, but it too was probably a "little overkill." That's what I like about big rifles like .338's, .375's and .45-70's... Plenty of punch for big stuff, and yup, they sure seem to work fine on little deer too.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guy..Hey I like the 444 with 265's loded hot so I gues I'm used to the "overkill" factor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used the 185gr x bullet in my .338 and in my experience it is a poor performer. The bullet literally exploded with little damage to the whitetail doe. The shot was well placed at around 60 yds, but still required a head shot from my 1911 when I finally found her after tracking nearly a half of a mile. :x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts