Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an undertaking that I have never done before and is a learning experience. Several weeks ago I got a 1967 336RC in 30-30 that a buddy of mine picked up at an auction. All that was there was a cut off butt stock, no butt plate, no recoil pad, no grip cap. And a barreled receiver (the receiver is complete). No mag tube, no forearm, no sights, no barrel bands.

I found out that Marlin changed the front barrel bands in the early 1980"s. The older front band used a smaller screw. I tried to order the parts I needed from Numrich. Even after giving them the serial number and TELLING them I needed the OLD STYLE parts they sent the new style parts. So I had to send everything back.

I then contacted Jack First Gun Shop in Rapid City SD and they sent out the old style mag tube and forearm which were brand new parts, but they didn't have an old style front barrel band. Thanks to Sure-Shot I now have a front band! Thank you Sir!!

Being as ignorant as I am, I figured the parts would all just fit together.....Well they didn't!! :roll: :roll: The mag tube would not fit in the forearm. After much sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting ect, ect it did. Then the forearm had to be fitted to the receiver with some fine sanding (very fine) again sanding, fitting, ect, ect. Then the rear barrel band screw would not fit straight through. So, I had to file the grooves in the barrel and barrel band, once again file, fit, file, fit ect ect.

Up to this point I have the mag tube fitted, forearm fitted and put together and everything seems to operate ok.

Now on to the butt stock. I have it all sanded and ready to get to work on. I asked Shum8 for his advice on how to do it. The stock had been sanded down roughly and had marks on it where it was to be cut down further, those are now gone. Shum8 advised me to use True oil on the stock. Now for this saga....I have been all over the friggin country side looking for True oil. Menards, Home Depot, hardware stores ect. All I got at those places was the deer in the headlights look when I asked if they had True oil.

I live in a small town and Lincoln and Omaha are over an hours drive so I had checked the places I had time to when I was in town. I did some checking on the computer and found that Danish Oil is the same thing as True oil. My wife wanted to go the Beatrice tomorrow to make a Walmart run so I called them tonight to see if by chance if they had Danish oil or True oil. They guy at the paint center is gone about a minute checking for and comes back and says we have True oil back there. Well I'll be!!

So tomorrow I will get some True oil and start on the butt stock. I had to get a recoil pad for the stock since it was cut off about an inch or so. That will need some minor fitting..of course. :roll:

Why didn't I just order the Ram-line syn stock you ask? Well I did that first off.......AND it didn't fit worth a damn. It doesnt fit the old style. The tang stuck over the stock both top and bottom 1/8 -1/4 inch. So if you have an old style stock dont bother to get the Ram-line. So far this is what I have learned. Like I said I'm pretty ignorant on these things never having done it before, but I'm learning. I will try and get some pics posted later.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You coulda got tru oil from Brownells. :wink:
All that work will be worth it when your done! :D
I'm suprised about the tang length. How olds the gun?
Mines a 1955 & I swapped a 70's stock with no real issues.
Theres a couple butstocks on e-bay if you want one uncut too.

Looking forward to the pictures!

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Hang in there - when you get done, you won't remember it being so frustrating. If you have access to a belt or disc sander, they make fitting a pad a cinch. If ya don't have access to one, send me the pad and buttstock and I'll grind it to fit for ya. Since the pad was shortened slightly, fins a thick one you like and it will help to lengthen it back up.

Or do like Leverdude said and scrounge one off ebay.......

Shum8

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leverdude said:
You coulda got tru oil from Brownells. :wink:
All that work will be worth it when your done! :D
I'm suprised about the tang length. How olds the gun?
Mines a 1955 & I swapped a 70's stock with no real issues.
Theres a couple butstocks on e-bay if you want one uncut too.

Looking forward to the pictures!
They changed the stocks in the early 1980's.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shum8 said:
Hang in there - when you get done, you won't remember it being so frustrating. If you have access to a belt or disc sander, they make fitting a pad a cinch. If ya don't have access to one, send me the pad and buttstock and I'll grind it to fit for ya. Since the pad was shortened slightly, fins a thick one you like and it will help to lengthen it back up.

Or do like Leverdude said and scrounge one off ebay.......

Shum8
I do have a belt sander. It shouldn't take much to get it looking ok. I got one of the SVL pads and I think it will make the stock just about right, if not I may add a couple Marlin spacers.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Can't wait to see it when you're done. One thing I've learned from projects like that is not to sweat the little things. The small imperfections that used to drive me crazy turned out to be practically unnoticable to anybody else. I look at some of them now and chuckle and some of the mistakes I made.
I called Numerichs in search of a part for my 1950 336A. The woman kept trying to send me the part for the modern 336A. I asked to speak to a tech and she said only SHE could talk to the tech. So after many frustrating exchanges, the tech found my part.
Good luck with your project. I'm sure it will trun out great.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got the Tru-oil at Walmart. They sell the Birchwood Caseys Tru-oil so if anyone needs it try their first, don't do like I did and try every where else first.

I have 2 coats on the stock and it is looking good. I plan on several more before I finish. I got the recoil pad ground down yesterday and it fits good. So with any luck I will have this rifle shooting and in the Ranch Dog match in a couple weeks. I plan on putting a scope on it and using it as a hunting rifle. The blue has some honest wear and I can't see spending the bucks to get it redone. It will be a shooter to hunt with. I just hope it shoots ok.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Big Med,
Glad to hear that you're putting a scope on it.....won't have to worry about you running away with the open sight category :D !

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope to have some pics to post tonight. I have not had any time to get pics taken yet. I plan on getting the recoil pad put on and the butt stock on the rifle tonight, maby even get a scope mounted. Then hopefully get out this weekend and get it shot.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the rifle out today to shoot it and when I pulled the trigger it just went "CLICK".............No mark on the primer. So now I have to take it apart to check if the firing pin is there :roll: And I was so ready to try it out!!

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it was a broken firing pin. This has project has been a first of first"s. I have never had to take apart a Marlin before. I have had them for over 30 years and never had to take one apart. Now to get a pin ordered and see how it shoots.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Its not all that hard. Lots of info on the cowboy sites should be able to help you. I got initiated by my 35 last year. :?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brownells doesn't have them. I'll call Marlin this AM.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Called Marlin and have one on the way.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sidespin said:
Big Med, was the firing pin totally broken or just fractured and bent?

SS
The end of the pin was broke off just forward where it starts to taper down. I have never seen that before. At least I know how to fix that now. I ordered the orginal 2 piece firing pin. I'm not real crazy about the one piece replacement pins.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it is done and ready to shoot. I got the replacement firing pin today from Marlin. Once again I learned something new. The new style firing pins look different than the old ones, but they fit perfect in the old rifles.
Here are some pics of the finished project. I have not put the front sight on the rifle, and I'm not sure I'm going to. This is going to be a hunting rifle and I have no intention of using the iron sights. I figure it is just something to get caught on brush ect.

The left side of the receiver shows some honest hunting wear. I had thought about getting the rifle redone, but did't want to have $500+ in it by the time I got all this done. With the cost of the rifle and all the parts I faired out pretty well. This is going to be a hunting rifle that intend on using quite a bit, bad weather ect. I have not put the front sight on. I have no plans of using iron sights and I figure it is just something to get caught on stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My many thanks to everyone who helped me out with this project, for the advice, the help with parts ect. There is a great bunch of guys here with a lot of knowledge that are always willing to share and help each other out. thank you all!!

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Very nice - VERY NICE INDEED!!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts