Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
all true...with the short bolt throw and the powder capacity - I just dont understand why this cartridge didnt take off...

I really like the short bolt action and can reload it pretty stout...good all around camp/hunting rifle....

Reactions: Dog Tag

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I always wanted an SMLE

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I took my college roomate home with me one weekend during deer season and he had never deer hunted so he took his Dad's 303 British and I put him on a stand at our farm and close to dark I heard him shoot and I went over to see what he had shot. He was very nervous and said that he was asleep and looked up and a buck was looking at him but it started running and he shot two times at it. I found some blood on the ground but no deer and it was getting dark so we went home and got my Dad's old deer dog and put her on the track expecting that he would not go far before he found the deer. The black and tan started bawling and then started baying about 200 yards ahead of us in some thick woods. We finally made it to the dog and she had the buck bayed behind a log on the ground. The old buck was gutshot and he jumped up upon our arrival and ran right betwen us headed for a shallow creek. I had only two shells in my shotgun and I shot twice at it not knowing if I hit it or not with just the beam of a flashlight to go by. The deer jumped off the bank of the creek which was maybe 6 ft deep and 6 feet wide and the dog jumped off right behind him. The deer which was just about on his last leg started out of the creek on the other side so being out of shells I leaned over and whopped the deer with my shotgun behind the head and it fell back in the creek and expired finally. My shotgun was a old bolt action JC Higgins 12 guage and when I hit the deer it broke the butt completly off right behind the action. We cut a pole and brought the deer out of the woods to a barbed wire gap that we had to climb over to get to the truck. My Dad had arrived and when we crossed the gap I threw my shotgun over the fence and it landed in a big mud puddle and my Dad scolded me for throwing the gun over the fence until he saw it was missing the stock. My friend and I gutted the deer and put it on the fender of his truck and he took off back to college with it. That old shotgun action and barrel layed around in out garage for about 10 years until my mom finally threw it away. I don't really know why I never looked for a stock . We had quite the rodeo in the woods that night and every time I hear 303 British I think about what happened.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
memories are are a large part of why we do what we do....good times...family - friends and being a part of mother nature...the folks that sit back and observe will never get it...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking about putting .303 on ticket and getting me a nice Enfield there are still quite a few kicking around the UK for good money.

Reactions: TomcatPC

·
Registered
363 Posts
Many moons ago, I bought a Long Branch No.4 MkI that was converted in to a sporter by Elwood Epps. I was living in California at the time, and took to hunting pigs in the Central Coast region of that state. The Enfield and the .303 made for a pretty sweet pig-thumping combination.

When my son got big enough to get in to high-power centerfire rifles, I asked him what he might like. He wanted my Enfield. At first, I wasn't ready to part with it just yet, and asked if he'd settle for one substantively similar to mine. He said he would and after months of trolling gun shows, we found something he kinda-sorta liked. Before money changed hands, the boy opined that the rifle under consideration was okay, but he still liked mine better. Well, he'd be inheriting it someday, anyhow, so I said it could be his on the condition that he take up re-loading for it, which he did with glee.

That was three years ago. Ask his fifteen year old self what the best bolt action rifle money can buy is and he'll answer "Enfield" and ask him what the best center-fire rifle round is and he'll spout out .303 British with equal enthusiasm. In the short amount of time he's been shooting and hunting with it, many a porcine specimen has probably wished he wasn't so enthusiastic over the Enfield rifle or the cartridge it shoots.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I hunted with the .303 Enfield that i had sporterized for many years and it shot everything without ever needing a second shot. I was using the 150gr softpoints. The military 174 gr FMJ bullet is a terrible wounder and that is what gave the caliber a really bad reputation in South Africa in our hunting circles....
I cant praise it enough using proper ammo.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Many moons ago, I bought a Long Branch No.4 MkI that was converted in to a sporter by Elwood Epps. I was living in California at the time, and took to hunting pigs in the Central Coast region of that state. The Enfield and the .303 made for a pretty sweet pig-thumping combination.

When my son got big enough to get in to high-power centerfire rifles, I asked him what he might like. He wanted my Enfield. At first, I wasn't ready to part with it just yet, and asked if he'd settle for one substantively similar to mine. He said he would and after months of trolling gun shows, we found something he kinda-sorta liked. Before money changed hands, the boy opined that the rifle under consideration was okay, but he still liked mine better. Well, he'd be inheriting it someday, anyhow, so I said it could be his on the condition that he take up re-loading for it, which he did with glee.

That was three years ago. Ask his fifteen year old self what the best bolt action rifle money can buy is and he'll answer "Enfield" and ask him what the best center-fire rifle round is and he'll spout out .303 British with equal enthusiasm. In the short amount of time he's been shooting and hunting with it, many a porcine specimen has probably wished he wasn't so enthusiastic over the Enfield rifle or the cartridge it shoots.

You must me Canadian. The .303 is the national flower is Canada, similar to the 25-06 is the state flower in Texas. :biggrin:

Chocdog

·
Registered
363 Posts
You must me Canadian. The .303 is the national flower is Canada, similar to the 25-06 is the state flower in Texas. :biggrin:

Chocdog
I almost became a Canadian. Long story there, but the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was a part of it. I've been to Canada many, many times. Hope to keep visiting as long as I am able. One of my favorite cities on the planet is Victoria in British Columbia. I travel there a lot and like the country and her citizens. If I were Canadian, I'd likely be pretty proud to say so.

But alas, I am just a Certificate Degree of Indian Blood card carryin' mixed-blood Cherokee-Anglo American who had the fortune to be born and raised in California when it was still "Free America".... LOL...

Doesn't stop me from thinkin' Enfields and the .303 British cartridge are cool, though. :).

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Good article thankyou for posting!

The .303 has alway's been one of my favorite cartridges. I can't seem to stay away from Enfield,s and have a Savage, US Property in a safe now. The stock was cut somewhere along the line and I have been dragging my feet getting it back together. In the past I have owned a jungle carbine and a Mk IV "T". Have secretly wanted a BSA Martini in .303 for years as well.

I agree with Tele-Caster, Victoria is a nice place and the wife and I were there a few weeks back. Canada has some absolutely beutiful country and very friendly folk's. Alway's liked going there.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The first center fire rifle I ever owned was a 303 I bought for $20.00 in 1967. The dealer had a barrel full of them setting in the floor. I never killed a deer with it, but I shot a lot of surplus ammo in it. It was accurate and a good rifle I wish I still had it. I left it at my parents house when I entered the service in 70, when I got my stuff in 73 the 303 was not in my old room.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
I never shot a deer with one, but I've owned and shot quite a few P14's and SMLE's over the years. Wish I kept one of the P14's. The 303 Brit is Canada's 30-06.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.