Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The .30-30 is 'IN", the .257 Roberts is 'OUT'

Just made the first 'cut' in determining which rifles might go elk and deer hunting this coming Friday. My hunting buddy and I are leaving for the range one last time as soon as he gets here.

The .257 Roberts didn't make the cut but the Marlin .30-30 did. I was working up loads for both and decided I had just run out of time.

Could have used 120g Speer Grand Slams or 115g Barnes TSX in the .257 as they both shoot great, but wanted 120g Swift A-Frames instead. Maybe next year.

The .30-30 is another development story that just ran out of time. Like the .257 I have more development loads, using Sper 130, 150 and 170g FP's ready to shoot over the chrono, but am leaving them ome today with the .257. Instead the rifle is zeroed for Winchester 170 Power Points and I picked up another box last night. If this rifle makes the final cut those will be what I hunt with.

The other guns going to the range today are the Marlin .45-70 and Rugers in 7mm Mag and .300 Win Mag, all with North Fork bullets. As an option I have a bunch of TSX bullets loaded up for the .300.

Am seriously considering making this the 'Year of the 30's', meaning the .300 Win and .30-30.

Power Points??? Who says I'm a bullet snob? :wink:

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Hey, I know how you feel. When it came time to hunt I nixed my 30-30 and 35 Rem. due to their sight systems. I just can't shoot the peeps well enough to be ethical on living animals.

I went with a standard 180 gr. Hornady SP reload for my '06 with factory Rem. 250 gr. 35 Whelen as my backup. Well, after the '06 had collected an antelope and a mule deer I just couldn't leave the Whelen at home.

So yesterday I took a 4X5 elk with the Whelen at about 60 or 75 yds. as he walked through the timber unalarmed.

Actually, any of my rifles and any of those you mentioned would have made that shot. I missed my intended point of impact. Instead the bullet centered the spine at the third rib. Elk down, no mad dash, no trailing. :lol:

The birth of a grandchild in Wisconsin in mid-November will probably eliminate my annual Missouri deer hunt. BUT, if it can still happen, I will either use the Whelen with a 200 gr. bullet or I will slap a scope on my Marlin 336 35 Rem.

Good luck with your hunt. Be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

Thats to bad in a way as I was looking foward to hearing about the 257 exploits this year as you know I just acquired one myself. Is Jackfish joining up with you this year?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

WyoStillhunter -

Congrats on the elk! Where were you hunting?

Also, where do you hunt in MO? I have relatives on Stockton Reservoir. Tons of deer and turkey.

When you get a scope for the Marlins I highly recommend the Warne ‘Maxima” Quick Disconnect rings and bases. And a Leupold 2-7x33.

Blew the “Be safe” already. While at the range I tried – accidentally - to fire form a .30-30 into a .45-70 case. Ended up with a case where the last 0.8” by the mouth is blown out to .45-70 size. But missing a little bit on one side. Big “Oops!” Had ear plugs and muffs on and never heard anything except a “Click”.

The .30-30 made the final cut. This year is “The year of the .30’s”. Taking the .300 Win Mag with 180g TSX and North Fork and the .30-30 with 170g Winchester Power Points.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts

Way to go, James! Just got done sighting in a 1929 Winchester 55 with my hunting buddy. The 130gr. Speer load that works best in both our 30-30's is 36gr. of Varget, WLR, and WInchester brass. Gives us both just over 2500fps. They are deadly accurate, and I'll guess we'll see just what they do to big bodied deer. I'm a bit skeptical, but they are more accurate than the 150's, and about the same as 170gr. Corelokt. That is saying something. You will like the Winchester power points. Going as slow as they do, there just isn't much required of them. They expand and penetrate as desired. Not too much can go wrong other than you sending them down the tube too slow, or an extrememly long shot. I'd sure like to hear a story about an elk this year!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

'Yote, I assume the 300 mag and 7mm mag are both M77's? I am contemplating the purchase of a 300 mag or something close, the .325 WSM even crossed my mind. How do you like your Rugers? Do they digest factory loads OK? Have you ever had any problems with extraction?

My biggest attraction to them is the Mauser ejection however, I had a few ejection problems with my M77 .308 yesterday at the range. Would pull out of the chamber but would "eject".

As we have also discussed the scope mounting system is about as fool proof as you can get.

Thanks,

SS

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sidespin –

You are correct – both are Rugers. The 7mm Mag is a M77 I bought in 1981 and the .300 Win Mag is a M77 MKII with the “canoe paddle” synthetic stock. Dave was shooting his 7mm Mag, too, a M77 MKII.

All three are excellent shooters, MOA or better. I didn’t spend any time shooting the paper at 100 yards but Dave put 4 shots into an inch at that range – pretty good considering the wind conditions.

As far as factory ammo, I don’t shoot much. Used to get my 7mm Federal brass by buying the cheapest Federal factory ammo. Put a box of Federal .257 Roberts through that gun when I got it, and bought a couple boxes of Winchester 180g Silver Tip for the .300 Win Mag. Have used Federal 7mm Mag Nosler Partitions as my backup ammo for many years and fire a few rounds each year accordingly. No problems that I can recall with any factory ammo.

If I was buying another rifle, a Ruger would be my choice before Winchester, Browning, Remington, CZ, Kimber, Howa, Tikka, Weatherby and most others. Frankly, they have always shot well for me and been completely reliable. Don’t need or want to pay for fancy wood for my hunting rifles, plus I like the actions and the looks of the Rugers. I am an unabashed Ruger fan, so take that for what it is worth.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Dr. A said:
Way to go, James! ...I'd sure like to hear a story about an elk this year!
Me too! Looks like "great" weather in the forecast, which means no snow for tracking. Going to have to get them the hard way...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Thanks 'Yote. I too am a Ruger fan. You just can't beat the quality or price. The bolt draw is a little rough when new, do you lap them to make them a little smoother?

SS

·
Registered
594 Posts

The one thing I REALLY like about Ruger...they still turn out rifles in classic cartridges. The rest of them abort a caliber that they can't mass produce for cheap. You can still get a 7X57MM or a 257Roberts or a 7X64Brenneke for the same price as a 270. They're triggers need to be replaced, but otherwise nice rifles.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sidespin said:
Thanks 'Yote. I too am a Ruger fan. You just can't beat the quality or price. The bolt draw is a little rough when new, do you lap them to make them a little smoother?

SS
Lap the bolts? Nope. All I do is float the barrel and touch up the trigger, same as I do for any rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts