Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
Yeah, the .308 Win isn't suitable for the traditional Marlin lever action.

It has of course been offered in both the Savage 99 and the Browning BLR, but they're both different from a traditional tube-magazine lever action.

Guy
Don't forget the Winchester Model 88 in 308 Win--again not a traditional lever gun set up. I like my 308MX because its a great anti-bear rifle to use while deer hunting in thick hardwoods (where the fields of view are limited). I can cycle that lever on my 308MX much faster than the bolt on my Savage Model 11 308 Win.

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
I just picked a nice Win 88 up a few weeks back. I won't get a chance to try it out until I get back from Afghanistan in July. My wife tells me its really nice!

·
Registered
686 Posts
It actually sounds like your WIFE has a nice Mod-88!
I won a Ruger SP101 in the 1998 NPSC. My wife took one look at it, picked it up, and pronounced "This one's MINE"...
She keeps it in the drawer of the lamp stand... with 125gr +P .38's. (.357's are a bit too much for her).

Indeed... the .308MX is a completely different cartridge than the .308win.
And, I much, much prefer the Marlin l/a to the Browning BLR.
But, the BLR is in .358win, which makes it an entirely different "animal"...

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
I sure hope you are wrong about the Model 88! My wife has a Henry 30-30 that she shoots all the time. She told me the Model 88 has pretty wood. I hope she hasn't "adopted" it yet!

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Administrator
30,577 Posts
Reactions: oleroy and Ret_Eng

·
Administrator
30,577 Posts
I sure hope you are wrong about the Model 88! My wife has a Henry 30-30 that she shoots all the time. She told me the Model 88 has pretty wood. I hope she hasn't "adopted" it yet!

View attachment 101524
Jay, you should have had that 88 dropped shipped to me so I could have done a range report with pictures for you to enjoy while deployed. :biggrin:

And of course, I would have shipped it to you when you return. Honest. :flute:

Jack

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Jay, you should have had that 88 dropped shipped to me so I could have done a range report with pictures for you to enjoy while deployed. :biggrin:

And of course, I would have shipped it to you when you return. Honest. :flute:

Jack
LOL!!:laugh: Jack, I've already tried that & it was a definite No-No!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Reactions: JACKTW and Ret_Eng

·
Administrator
30,577 Posts
LOL!!:laugh: Jack, I've already tried that & it was a definite No-No!!:biggrin::biggrin:
lol, I kind of figured that Roy but thought what the heck, I'll throw it out there anyway. Too bad Jay is soooo stingy to his buddies. HA!

Jack

PS. Jay, I'm looking forward to a range report on that 88!

Reactions: Ret_Eng and oleroy

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
The funny thing is--this is not a pre-64 Winnie. It was made in 1966 after the Winnie buyout. My wife got it locally from a fellow MO member living in VA--just a couple counties down from where I live. The MO member says this is a killer rifle with the 165 grain Hornady SST bullets. I don't doubt him and can't wait to test this rifle out. My wife has worked the action and really likes the wood on the rifle. She has told me the new deluxe Remington 700 classic series has nothing on this old Winnie. Maybe I should send it out for a test run in AR--then to CA. That way the missus can't claim it too fast! :biggrin:

Reactions: oleroy and JACKTW

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
lol, I kind of figured that Roy but thought what the heck, I'll throw it out there anyway. Too bad Jay is soooo stingy to his buddies. HA!

Jack
LOL! Jack, I don't know about the stingy part, IMHO that 88 is now in the Missus' clutches & ain't goin anywhere!!:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Maybe I should send it out for a test run in AR--then to CA. That way the missus can't claim it too fast! :biggrin:
:biggrin::biggrin: Jay, I think you're to late!!:hmmmm::flute:

Reactions: Ret_Eng and JACKTW

·
Administrator
30,577 Posts
Roy has it spot on... by the time you get back the misses will already have it engraved with her initials and you won't be able to blame her. :biggrin:

Jack

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
Maybe I can get her to clean "her" rifle after SHE shoots it! :biggrin: I hear that the Model 88 is a hard bugger to maintain. One MO member told me the easiest way to clean it is to take the stock off and do the pipe cleaner and q-tip cleaning routine like I did in the Army.

Reactions: JACKTW and oleroy

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Maybe I can get her to clean "her" rifle after SHE shoots it! :biggrin: I hear that the Model 88 is a hard bugger to maintain. One MO member told me the easiest way to clean it is to take the stock off and do the pipe cleaner and q-tip cleaning routine like I did in the Army.
LOL!:biggrin: Good luck with that one Jay!! :flute: When my wife is shooting her pistols, She just hands them back to me & politely says, Ok, I'm done, & then walks to the house!!:flute::biggrin:

To the Op.. the 308 Win. is just a little more potent than the 308MX, which ballistically compares more to the 307 Win. but the 308MX does come in the very handy Marlin 336 platform,
so then you have a very capable "Brush Gun" WITH long range capabilities!! IMHO the 308MX gives you the best of both worlds!!:beer:

·
Administrator
30,577 Posts
You guys crack me up. Yeah, my wife just hands me her firearms after the day of shooting and says while your cleaning I'll be cooking you dinner! With a big smile on her face. :vollkommenauf:

A really good comparison of the 308ME power is to the 300 savage. Plenty of game from deer to Elk has been taken with that round and the 308ME is right there with it. Best of all it's in a Marlin Lever Rifle! :biggrin:

Jack

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.