Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quandary....So I finally reached the pinnacle of 1893 ownership. I'm full steam toward getting a rebore/reline to 38-55, which has been my goal from the first day. This rifle is in excellent shape, better than advertised in my opinion with a rough bore in 30-30. I'm shrugging into my flame suit. I already have one and need another like a hole in the head. In a couple days I get around to the bore light. Pretty nasty, full of cobwebs grime etc looks bad. Can't have that, so out comes the wipe-out and a good while later I push out the worst patch I've ever seen by a good margin. Take a peak, hey.....not to bad more cleaner. Three soaks later I have nice crisp rifling that's shines all the way to the crown. A few passes with bronze brush (I really hate to but exception made) and some more patches and as bad as I hate to say it the rifling is nice. Even the grooves look good. Everybody is saying............better not send it off it's really nice. Time out for fits. Ok should I get a mold or a few cast bullets and smell the roses awhile before forging ahead?

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey Sparky,

Lots of cast bullet fun to be had with the 30-30!

(think of all the cast bullets, primers and powder you can buy, with the price of a "re line") LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Sparky - If you have a 30 caliber cast bullet put it in a vice and mash it slightly out-of-round, or cheat, and hit it a time or two with your 20 ounce ballpeen hammer. Lube both the rifle bore and bullet well, then drive the bullet through the barrel with a 1/4 inch wooden dowel rod. Mike across the wide portion of said bullet. I had a 30-30 once that I was using 312 dia bullets I cast for my 7.7 Japanese rifle. By keeping the speed down to 1350-1400 FPS it shot very well. A deer hit in the boiler room isn't impressed with speed anyway. Good luck with your project. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I'm currently plotting a bore slug. Any mold recommendations? Later today I'm going to scrounge up something ie tubing I can pour a plumbers lead slug in that's slightly smaller than my bore.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I bought a tray of lead tear drop sinkers from the local fishing shop. Has a bunch of sizes. I pick one that is close to the barrel size, stick the small end in the barrel, lube up and drive it though. They are nice and soft and slide right through. The next time I do my 38-55 I am going to melt the sinkers in my ladle and pour them into a .40 cal case as a mould and try that. For a .30 cal I might try using one of my M1 carbine cases.

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was was actually thinking of filling up a empty cartridge and doing a throat cast. So I could see what kind of shape I'm in, that should give me a idea of bore down there. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Sparky don't be looking a gift horse in the mouth, or the other end either you made out a lot better than you ever dreamed of. Keep that puppy all original and sacrifice one that doesn't deserve all the respect this one does. eh

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Sparky----

There's only peer pressure if you allow it to be so. There were 10's of thousands of the 1893 30-30's produced in differing configurations. However not all of them have survived, most that have survived are not in very good shape. If you have one that is in good shape and the bore is still shootable I would ring it out and try everything before altering it any way. If 30-30 is not your caliber of choice then sell it or trade it and get what you want. They're not in every gun shop and they aren't making anymore----so---IMHO------I would enjoy what you have and consider looking for another in the caliber you do want. Just my 2 cents .

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Sparky, Good for you in doing your homework and I wouldn't sweat the brush. Bronze wool wrapped around one is even better. I'm glad you took the time and didn't just charge off to a reline. Who knows, you'll maybe run across a 38-55 when you least expect it. My vote would be to continue on the path your are on and see if you don't find you are happy right where you are at.

If you do a chamber cast, remember to grease the slug before you pound it to fill the chamber. Way easier to get it out. Goodsteel over on Castboolits has a real good thread on the process. Could be if you did a compression slug at the chamber end you find you don't need to do a chamber mold. I usually do a compression slug at the muzzle and at the breach and if yours reads the same at both ends, maybe a tad larger in the chamber end, then your throat may not be worn much at all. If the rifling looks good from the chamber end then that's an excellent sign.

I think you may have seen this thread but look at post #12. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/d...127314-question-throat-chamber-reaming-2.html I've taken to doing that with my first bullets just to see how the throat treats the nose of a bullet... have a read and give it a try once you have a bullet (any one you decide on) cast and see if it doesn't swage down just fine. If so, no need for a pound cast, just the slug.

Here is the mold I bought, I think at Wet Dog's suggestion. If you like the looks of it I don't see why it wouldn't do well with some long range dingers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey John, that is the very mold I've settled on. The only reason I didn't order one today is that I'm keen to know what it drops at. What diameter are you getting out of it. I probably should get a handle on what my bore is before I actually by it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts