Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 16.25" 36G - The Stubby Is Home!

Well boys, the smith got her done a week or so earlier than they thought. I asked for 16.5" but got 16.25". They had a computer (user) issue and half of my work order was erased. They called me to ask about some stuff but the barrel length wasn't mentioned and they must have assumed I wanted it as short as possible. A part of me would have preferred the extra 1/4" just in case the crown gets buggered or something but I think I can learn to live with it easy enough! ;D

As I said in my original post on the matter, I didn't take any before pictures as I drove straight from the sales shop to the smith shop.

But here's how she sits now. 1965 Marlin/Glenfield 36G, 16.25", target crown, previously refinished birch stocks, and Williams 336FP with original brass bead:

Next to the W for comparison:

And here it is with the camo 795. Now that is how I spell utilitarian fun. ;D

The balance point has shifted to just in front of the lever screw. Handling is excellent with the carbine naturally and effortlessly snapping to the shoulder. Even one-handed handling is very easy and light feeling.

The metal finish could use some TLC but nothing serious and I'll get around to it at some point. The stocks need some ugly taken out of them Someone did a decent job on them and they are functional for now. But, I'll need to decide on how I want to finish them up and take care of them at some point. A little to leopard skin like for my tastes. But it will do for now.

Did I mention I was excited??? ;D

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Re: The 16.25" 36G - The Stubby Is Home!

That is one fine looking shortie Erik. I like it a lot and I imagine you've ignited a "want a shortie" fire in quite a few members before this is done ;D. I've never even held one but I bet it is as quick to the shoulder as you claim.

Great job ... and I really like the wood too.

bjm

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

Erik - So phase one on “Stubby” is complete. :)
It’s starting to look real good, but something don’t look quite right yet…Maybe it’s the forearm stock or something – looks like it is pregnant?? :D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts

I like it. I like the wood too!! :)

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks fellas.

The finish on the wood isn't bad but it's pretty blotchy in person. Like I said, it is okay and certainly functional for now.

Danny, this being my first older Marlin, that forearm is kinda weird. Side to side it is thinner than it looks and I think a little thinner than the newer stocks and that gives it that sort of "swollen" look. But it sure feels nice. :)

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

Eli Chaps said:
Thanks fellas.

Danny, this being my first older Marlin, that forearm is kinda weird. Side to side it is thinner than it looks and I think a little thinner than the newer stocks and that gives it that sort of "swollen" look. But it sure feels nice. :)
Well that’s good, I’m sure too, it’s just the pichers making it look fat.

Sure would be a shame to have to rename it – “Lil Fattie”… :eek: ;D ;D

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Rowdy said:
Well that’s good, I’m sure too, it’s just the pichers making it look fat.

Sure would be a shame to have to rename it – “Lil Fattie”… :eek: ;D ;D
It's just big boned. ;D

BTW, old Jim Brock himself checked me out but had to call for help with the "debit card thing." :D

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

LOL – big boned :D
Ol Jim prolly thought you trying to pass him a - gas card ;D

·
Registered
180 Posts

Man that looks SWEET ;D I want one may cut the Ga30 yet !! let us know how she shoots

·
Registered
32,303 Posts

That sure is nice, makes me want one too. But isn't that always the case.

·
Super Moderator
16,521 Posts

I think you're going to love that little shooting stick Erik! You going to redo the stock? If you do I know it'll look good. Congrats bud! ;D Mr fixit

·
Registered
181 Posts

That's a fine looking rifle right there. Congratulations! We'll be looking forward to hearing how it shoots...

·
Registered
238 Posts

Now that would be the perfect black tail deer gun for the wet side,especially without a scope. That just looks cool man. :) :)

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts

Erick nice looking rifle. Wish I could get hold of one to cut off like that. I will be looking forward to pictures after you refinish the stock. Like Rowdy, I would thin the forearm down some but it may cause problems for the sling swivel.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts

She even looks quick. Congrats Erik. DP

1 - 20 of 63 Posts