Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, but I have been lurking for a while. I grew up with my dad's marlin 336 T in 30-30, and killed a few deer with it. It now belongs to my middle son as dad wanted him to have it, so I've been marlin-less for far to long. About a year and half ago I went into a local getting place and found an almost mint 336 in 35 remington. A quick check of the serial number showed a 1966 date of manufacture, making it a birth year gun for me, so naturally it followed me home. The bluing is very nice and the wood shows very little handling marks. I hadn't
Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior
shot it yet due to not being able to find bullets to reload.
I just came upon a couple of boxes of speer 180 bullets, and read where h335 was a good powder, so thought why not? I loaded several this morning, and went shooting.
Normally load development is one of the things I enjoy doing, but not this time. One shot to get on paper and this was the next three. I guess the only thing left to do is bundle up the grandson and make memories
Triangle Rectangle Font Line Flooring

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,708 Posts
First post here, but I have been lurking for a while. I grew up with my dad's marlin 336 T in 30-30, and killed a few deer with it. It now belongs to my middle son as dad wanted him to have it, so I've been marlin-less for far to long. About a year and half ago I went into a local getting place and found an almost mint 336 in 35 remington. A quick check of the serial number showed a 1966 date of manufacture, making it a birth year gun for me, so naturally it followed me home. The bluing is very nice and the wood shows very little handling marks. I hadn't View attachment 894813 shot it yet due to not being able to find bullets to reload.
I just came upon a couple of boxes of speer 180 bullets, and read where h335 was a good powder, so thought why not? I loaded several this morning, and went shooting.
Normally load development is one of the things I enjoy doing, but not this time. One shot to get on paper and this was the next three. I guess the only thing left to do is bundle up the grandson and make memories View attachment 894814
And a hardy welcome to the forum! AC

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
Welcome from South Florida and congrats on a fine lookin’/shootin’ rifle! Time to make some memories with your grandson so when that rifle gets handed down to him, he’s got plenty of great times to remember too!

·
Registered
266 Posts
First post here, but I have been lurking for a while. I grew up with my dad's marlin 336 T in 30-30, and killed a few deer with it. It now belongs to my middle son as dad wanted him to have it, so I've been marlin-less for far to long. About a year and half ago I went into a local getting place and found an almost mint 336 in 35 remington. A quick check of the serial number showed a 1966 date of manufacture, making it a birth year gun for me, so naturally it followed me home. The bluing is very nice and the wood shows very little handling marks. I hadn't View attachment 894813 shot it yet due to not being able to find bullets to reload.
Normally load development is one of the things I enjoy doing, but not this time. One shot to get on paper and this was the next three. I guess the only thing left to do is bundle up the grandson and make memories View attachment 894814
I would say load development is done now just find more cases and load up 200 or so and set for life.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Nice looking rifle and great shooting!! Welcome from Pennsylvania!!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, the load development on this went quick. The only other load I ever got right the first time and never changed was the famous Jack O'connor 270 load. I've loaded for a while but in my gun I can't do any better than that. It did set my expectations kinda high when your very first load ever loaded shoots lights out. You think they'll all go that way...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Excellent job! Congratulations on a new rifle, new load and new scope!! Now, a pic of a new buck taken with that great combo?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yea, the load development on this went quick. The only other load I ever got right the first time and never changed was the famous Jack O'connor 270 load. I've loaded for a while but in my gun I can't do any better than that. It did set my expectations kinda high when your very first load ever loaded shoots lights out. You think they'll all go that way...
Experience tells me otherwise. I have only had 2 loads shoot that well out of the gate. One was an 06 loaded with Hornady 180 grain ASR’s and one is 9.3x63 with Norma 232 grain both shoot 1/2 to 3/4” 3 shot groups at 100 yards. And that is in 32 years of reloading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I Enjoy the process of load development, and it kinda feels like cheating when it goes like this. On the other hand i have a 300 wsm that common lore says is generally easy to find a good load for that's fighting me all the way. I know there's a magic combo for it out there somewhere, its just up to me to find it

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Welcome and beautiful 35 !

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 20 of 34 Posts