Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just loaded up some 405 laser casts and 42 grs of RL-7 in some ww brass. Now my STBL feels like I thought a 45-70 would. Those 300gr factory Winchester factory's felt like nothing compaired to these. I was going load up fifty of them but not sure now I'd want to shoot that many.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Thats my mild load. Try some Speer 400gr FP with 45gr R-7
Snap, crackle & pop 8)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many rounds do have to shoot to get the barrel to lead up? Anyone have an idea of how fast these are moving. I have added the chrono yet. Going shooting now so I will load up some more. Ill let you know how they do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also when I crimped with the Lyman dies I had a hard time getting it to load out farther then 2.032". The book says to load out to 2.055" as I remember. I will say it loaded and ejected great.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
ktmhans said:
How many rounds do have to shoot to get the barrel to lead up? Anyone have an idea of how fast these are moving. I have added the chrono yet. Going shooting now so I will load up some more. Ill let you know how they do.
ktmhans –

If this will be your first time shooting cast? You’ll need to remove all traces of copper fouling first, start with a clean barrel…If not, leading can be expected!!

Velocity – maybe 1400-1500fps…That will be at/or above the pressure limits of that bevel base bullet and lead some more, but will depend on the condition of your barrel.

Have fun shooting ;D

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
ktmhans said:
Also when I crimped with the Lyman dies I had a hard time getting it to load out farther then 2.032". The book says to load out to 2.055" as I remember. I will say it loaded and ejected great.
A typo on the 2.032" COL ??

Should be more like 2.5" COL ;)

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
ktmhans said:
The problem with using a COL of 2.32 vs one at 2.55" is there will be almost another 1/4" of bullet located inside the case - and that "will" increase pressure!

I'd be looking at getting that bullet seating issue worked out before increasing powder charge. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rowdy said:
The problem with using a COL of 2.32 vs one at 2.55" is there will be almost another 1/4" of bullet located inside the case - and that "will" increase pressure!

I'd be looking at getting that bullet seating issue worked out before increasing powder charge. ;)
No just about .023" I was pulling the numbers from memory before. Never a good idea. I never would have tried them back short.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I shot 15 rnds off the 42 gr. And 3 of the 43gr. I loaded up. I don't think I have to over 42. Shoulder wasn't lovin the bench. Standing wasn't bad though. Accuracy was pretty good but hard to tell it was really the first time shooting it and I was adjusting sights, holding positions and just plain old having fun shooting it. Ill load up some more and drop it in a sled this time around.

As far as leading, I pulled the bolt out and ran the snake down it one pull and I don't see anything up the bore. No lack of sheen or dull areas. Can anyone describe what leading would look like.
I'm not sure how fast they were moving g but I think its safe to say that if I hit it right . Its goin down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts