Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1952 JM 336 in 30-30 and a 1996 JM 336 in 35. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about handling them that gives my the warm & fuzzies all over.

I actually start day dreamin' about being in the woods on a cold, clear day with the 30-30 and seeing a ten point or being down in a swamp with the 35 and hearing the 'smack' of a huge wild hog.

Here I am 65 years old and actin' like I'm 15.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
JIm-
I daydream all the time. I love squirrel hunting with dogs and I live for spring and fall
season like a kid lives for Christmas morning.
I know what you mean about old guns. I have a 4-10 that was made in the 1020's
and if it could talk I'd love to hear the stories it could tell.
I also have a collection of 22's made in the depression era.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Since I was 5 years old not a day has went by that I have not got lost in a daydream about shooting guns, and I am 32 now.These are my 336's. Both are JM 30-30. The light colored one is a limited edition model 3079. The one with the pretty walnut is a 1992 model. I still need to purchase a couple of rear sight elevators. It baffles me how many people dont appreciate and enjoy these amazing inventions. I feel sorry for them.
Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Wood
Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Wood
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Rifle

·
Registered
692 Posts
I went deer hunting (other than my front porch) for the first time in at least 30 years last season. My neighbor is an avid deer hunter, he put up a stand for me in the woods across the road from our houses.
I packed the 336 in 30-30. As I sat there in the tree stand as the sun started to come up and shown on the blueing of the barrel I thought to myself, this is what this gun was designed to do. It is in its element, the perfect tool for the job at hand. What an amazing instrument.
I would not shoot a deer for it as a pretty nice buck walked by 30 yards away. I did not raise the gun or cock it. I just enjoyed the feeling I'd not felt in a long time. I'm 78 (77 at the time)

·
Registered
856 Posts
The Bible says we are ”fearfully and wonderfully made.” I believe part of that creation is the awesome gift of a mind that can live in reality and dream wonderful dreams. When I open my gun safe, smell the smell of Rig, Ballistol, and other gun related concoctions, my mind takes me on wonderful journeys of times with my Dad in the rabbit hunting swamps of Florida, with my kids deer hunting, camp fires, and other marvelous times spent with family and friends. I am also sent on adventures yet experienced that I hope will one day come to fruition. In short, yeah...I get it...

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'm 81 and have those same feelings. I did all those things in my younger years, but now I live with my fond memories. Once in a while I get out for an easy. A little road hunting on private land that I used to highly criticized. Oh well times change!

·
Premium Member
8,488 Posts
I went deer hunting (other than my front porch) for the first time in at least 30 years last season. My neighbor is an avid deer hunter, he put up a stand for me in the woods across the road from our houses.
I packed the 336 in 30-30. As I sat there in the tree stand as the sun started to come up and shown on the blueing of the barrel I thought to myself, this is what this gun was designed to do. It is in its element, the perfect tool for the job at hand. What an amazing instrument.
I would not shoot a deer for it as a pretty nice buck walked by 30 yards away. I did not raise the gun or cock it. I just enjoyed the feeling I'd not felt in a long time. I'm 78 (77 at the time)
I have let em walk myself...its all about being a part of it....I've even let ducks land in my decoys....

Reactions: DDDWho

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
I get the same feeling carrying my Winchester 1894’s in the woods. Brings me back to the days of the old buffalo plaid clad sourdoughs roaming the Adirondacks in search of that old mossy horned buck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.