Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Andy for your quality sights

I recently ordered your express sight, front sight and apertures from your website and I have just returned from working out bush to find them in my PO box. First impressions are very good, everything was mounted and installed in about 20min. They look fantastic and imrove the look of the Marlin 1895 no end. I will be loading up some 405gn woodleighs tonight and sighting in over the weekend.

It is nice to deal with family buisiness' that care for their product and give great service.

All the best from outback South Australia

Thanks again

Dr G

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Ditto to that. Especially when you are dealing from one country to another.
Hey Dr.G where about in South ya from Oz?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moofy07 said:
Ditto to that. Especially when you are dealing from one country to another.
Hey Dr.G where about in South ya from Oz?
Roxby Downs mate, yourself?

Dr G

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi Dr. G,
That's a nice part of the world there. I live in Bundaberg, home of Bundy Rum, they distille it about 2k's away. Funny you know I don't even drink the stuff.
Graeme.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Didn't realize this site was so global. Not trying to be disrespectful to you guys nation but would it be possible to explain to me the laws over there when trying to obtain a rifle like a Marlin 1895. Just curious is all, I wiki'ed it and it sounded like a pain in the ass. Allot of paperwork or what?

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
Thanks Dr. G,

The 1895 Marlins are wonderfully made rifles. The firepower of a 95 loaded with 405 Woodleighs will be formidable!

What will you be hunting? Australia is intriguing to many of us in the US. Judging from the number of Skinner Sights customers who live "Down Under" there must be quite a few Marlin fans there.

Attached is a photo of my 1895 Cowboy with a Skinner "COWBOY TACTICAL" sight installed. :) (Same as my standard tactical but since this was going on my cut down (20") Octagon barreled rifle it needed something like "Cowboy" engraved on it.)

I moved the magazine tube stud forward and the front sight dovetail back so the tube could be flush with the end of the shorter barrel.

Thanks for the kind words... Keep shooting....

Glad to help!

Andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking rifle Andy, I had been thinking of extending the mag tube to allow one more round but given the hassles sourcing magazine parts out of te states these days I dont think I will bother.

As for the 1895's use it will be used on pigs and buffalo mainly. An old mate of mine from out my way is now managing a staion up in the Northern Teritory and has lots of pigs and donkeys and a few bufflalo as well. There is lots of cover so a fast pointing big bore rifle with the option of quick followups is just perfect. The 1895 in 45/70 fits the bill nicely. I also have access to some goat properties which are in heavy mallee scrub. In this sort of country a shot of 80m is a rare thing. We use judas goats an dogs to track the mobs and as its for conservation purposes the fast follow up with the 1895 will be perfect for this.

I dont think i am alone in thinking this but the 336 and 1895 marlin is widely considered to be one of the best pig guns in Aussie especially since the Bryant/Howard fiasco resulted in semi autos being made inaccessable for most Australian firearm owners.

At home we have a lot of open space and little cover so flat shooting bolt action rifles rule the day. I use a customised Model 70 in 280AI as my main large feral gun (camels and donkeys) down here.

If you ever visit get in touch and we might be able to sort out a decent hunting trip

Dr G

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi sandman,
Yeah, it used to be so easy walk into the shop, plunk your money down and walk out with your rifle even at KMart. I remeber buying ammo at the local paper shop. We have shops (stores) for papers and mags, at least they are dry and not wind blown. These days it is more involved. In Queensland where I live there are several ways to obtain a rifle. Just be a member of some form of shooting club or organisation, and have a shooters licence, go to police station with the firearms particulars, pay $30 for a notice of intention, post or fax to the state police and wait (and hope) it is approved. This takes 28 days (so they say, it was ok the last time I bought a rifle but apparently the computer is slow, just like some of our police. I can say that as I am a retired police officer.). If ok pick up firearm and send info to police.
Yes it is a rigmarole but worth it in the end. It is really not that bad, ya just pays ya money and wait really.
Hope this helps.
Graeme

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 to what Graeme said plus the stuff below I was writing while he posted :)

sandman7925 said:
Didn't realize this site was so global. Not trying to be disrespectful to you guys nation but would it be possible to explain to me the laws over there when trying to obtain a rifle like a Marlin 1895. Just curious is all, I wiki'ed it and it sounded like a pain in the ass. Allot of paperwork or what?
G'day Sandman

Compared to the US, yes firearms ownership is a PITA. The thing is ownershiop of firearms in Australia is not a right it is a privilege. Up until Martin Bryant went spastic and shot 35 people and wounded another 21, ownership of firearms was considered fairly mainstream and access to them was straightforward. Each state had its own laws and there was a fair amount of variation between states. After this the them Prime Minister John Howard pushed his own political agenda and bought in unified regulations.
He also ensured that semi automatic centerfires were so heavily restricted that very few Aussies can justify owning them.

Banned and restricted firearms had to be handed in for destruction and financial compensation was paid. I had to hand in a very nice Winchester Pump Action Shotgun and a 7 month old Ruger 10/22. Many others faired much worse than me.

How it stands now is that you must have a valid firearms licence to own firearms, firearms parts and ammunition. All firearms must be registered. The licences have the following classes,

A Single shot, bolt action, lever action or Pump action Rimfires Break action Shotguns (single or double) Lever action shotguns and Air Rifles
B Bolt action, lever action or Pump Action Centerfires
C Semi Auto rimfires, Pump action and semi auto shotguns
D Semi automatic centrefires (Max mag capacity 10 rnds)
H Handguns

Everything else is banned and only available to Govt or Military. You can see that the regulations were written by people who watch movies and have no idea about firearms. All I can say is lucky for us Terminator 2 hadn’t been made at that time as Lever action shotties would be Class C as well.

Class A&B are relatively easy to get, you need to undertake a Government run training course and demonstrate competency. You also have several demonstrate your storage of these firearms are up to standard. Police firearms branch can inspect your firearms at any time and if the storage is inadequate they can confiscate them, fine you or even suspend your licence. Class C fire arms can be owned if you can demonstrate a valid need (ie primary production, Commercial pest control etc). I qualify to get a C class licence but I really can’t be stuffed as the storage requirements and more frequent inspections by firearms branch make it not worthwhile. D class is stricter again and mainly only used by government departments for pest control.

The Marlin is Class B so not that difficult to obtain though SA is currently reviewing the classifications and have proposed making lever action guns Class C which will suck bigtime. A big problem for us is that the majority of people live in cities and have no idea what is involved in living in the bush or what is needed in conservation management of feral species.

Hope that answers your question

Dr G

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. That cleared it up for me. I was just curious about it because I think the US is unfortunatly on a direct track to similar gun laws if not even more restriction. What a world we live in :'(

Keep shootin

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi Sandman,
It surely would be ashame if you guys have to go through this crap too. People (idiots) say that guns kill people, but I tell you what, I can't believe that, I know if you lay a rifle on the ground and no one touches it I guarantee it won't jump up and shoot some one. This is what I tell those fools. It is the same old story people kill people not guns it is only the tool used. The same as a rock or a knife etc. what am I saying you guys know the truth.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree Moofy. There are not any laws that can cure crazy, and there will always be crazy people. If they take away our guns, in my humble opinion it will be worst. The criminals will still get them and if they can't get them they will learn how to make them.
I personally believe that when somebody turns 18 years of age they should be given a Colt 1911 by the feds. That's the world I would like to live in. ;D

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Good idea Sandman, I understand it is almost like that in Switzerland and maybe Sweden. Sounds good to me. Plus their crime rate is very low, it seems crooks are afraid to invade a home because just about every home has firearms. Sounds logical.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts