Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I recently picked up a NIB 1894PG. Found a problem with it before even firing shot. It wouldn't feed a round at all. Kept on jamming up in front of the chamber.
Fortunately I stumbled across this fine site. After doing a few searches I found some very helpful hints on what to do.

I smoothed up the finger lever cam (maybe not enough yet) and the problem persisted. I then came across a post about polishing up the extractor. After polishing, the cartridge made it further into the chamber but still jammed. I took a punt and bit by bit took a little more off the extractor. End result is that I can now chamber rounds. It is still a fairly rough, but I figure after putting a few boxes through should smooth it out. I don't want to get too carried away with the extractor just yet (but have ordered a spare just in case).

Without MarlinOwners I would still be quite upset about a NIB rifle that wouldn't chamber (being in Australia makes it a complex and lengthy process to send back to Marlin). It is forums like this one that freely share hints and tips on how to do fix problems yourself.

Thank you all. I hope to be able to contribute myself over time.

Thank you
Feral_Goz

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Double check your ammo! Make sure it is OK. try it with a box from another brand. I once came into a box of Sellier & Bellot .45 ACP which was out of spec. This is new, un-opened ammo. The cases were about .08" too long! The slide wouldn't close comletely. If it hadn't been because I had already fired this pistol quite a bit before, and we had other .45 ACP ammo to compare it to, I would have thought the pistol defective.

Just a thought, before you do too much with the rifle. It is rare but it happens. Of late it seems Marlins are a "finish it at home kit".

Good luck,

Luis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
luisyamaha, I have two boxes of PMC from different lots. If I hand feed them (both lots) directly into the chamber they go quite easily. Thanks for the tip though.

I went to the range this morning. Only put 25 rounds through, but it is getting better. Some would feed nice and smooth, others needed me to back off the lever a bit and try again (each round would chamber with a bit of lever wiggle work). I sure that as I put more rounds through it will smooth up quite nicely every time.

I am quite happy with it, just need to make up some good rifle reloads (was using PMC Pistol ammo) and see what potential it as. Only downside is that the front side hood let go and ended up in my lap. Will need to put it back on when I clean it.

Feral_Goz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts