Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Last night I gave up on the river bottoms after not seeing anything come out without being spooked first. [one doe] I went to my brothers place on 20 acres of nothing but woods. A little creek cut had some oaks with a good amount of acorns on the ground. There I sat until a yearling doe came to the acorns. This place is all regrowth from second cuttings. Every tree has 2 or 3 trees from on base. IT"S THICK. For a while I had a hell of a time making sure it was a young doe and not a small buck. The load 35Rem recommended bucked the brush and I got my first 35 Rem. deer. That Speer 180 hit a rib going in and one going out. Double lung. She covered about 100 yards with a hole that looked like a broom handle had been shoved through her. Blind man blood trail. Thanks for your help and advice. Rick

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
You're hunting deer already? I gotta wait another whole month. For regular firearm, anyway.

How long are Missouri deer seasons? How's the deer population down there?

We seem to have quite a few here, but we're keeping an eye on CWD.

Congratulations on your deer.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted last night and then hit the wrong dang button. We are having a 4 day urban antlerless season in 11 counties. Oct. 7th to Oct. 10th. We have a statewide youth season from Oct.29-30. Statewide firearms [or any legal method] runs from Nov. 12-22. Muzzleloader season is Nov. 25-Dec. 4. Firearms antlerless season is from Dec. 10-18. Think we got enough gun seasons?! Makes it damn hard to bowhunt anymore. This is why they moved our bow season opener to Sept. 15. Going to try to get out Monday evening if I don't have to work again. Tell you what I see if I get there. I used to bowhunt at Alma, Nebraska around the Harlan county reservoir. You could camp at the camp ground, use the tables, electricity, etc. eat at the truck stop for breakfast and the pizza place at night. Check station was at the sporting goods right across the street. It was a good time when we only got one tag back then in Mo. Rick

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Your hunting seasons are like what we have in Nebraska. If I went for bonus tags here I could shoot more deer than I know what to do with.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My brother hasn't hunted deer since the 70's. On my way out of town I picked up landowner tags for him. I took a 1980 336 in 30-30 that was my loaner gun with me. He said he really needed to keep at what he was doing but thanks anyway. Well, after being on stand for about a half an hour, 3 does jumped the fence, crossed the ditch, and were coming towards me at a quick rate. I took the lead doe at a downward quartering towards me angle. The shot clipped the lower edge of her shoulder blade and angled out at the brown and white line right in front of her right ham. Messy cleaning job. If I was left handed I might of had another. It stood there at about 15 yards not knowing where to go. Sitting, I just couldn't swivel that far. Boy, the 35 remington is hard on them. Anyway, I called my bother with the cell phone to tell him. He showed up to help with his orange on and the 30-30 loaded and ready to go. We tracked the doe and found her after about 60 yards. She was out of the acorn area so we went back and set for the last hour. 2 more does showed up and I let them pass hoping my brother would get a chance. Have I said it's dark after sunset in those woods. He couldn't tell if they were does or a small buck or two. So, he opted not to shoot. They spooked when they came to the other blood trail. He said he had them and only had to pull the trigger. At least I got him out after almost 30 years. That was even better than getting another deer. Thanks again for the load help, Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts